Death of former mayors

  • jmmyers@sprynet.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 12, 2001
      The 1/2/2001 edition of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports the death of WALTER H. "MIKE" DIERS, mayor of Rush City (Chisago County) MN from 1960-1972. Mr. Diers died Sunday, December 31, 2000, in North Branch, MN, at the age of 76. Cause of death was not reported. Mr. Diers, a Lutheran, served in the Army during World War II. A memorial service was held in Rush City. Funeral arrangements were not noted.

      The 1/12/2001 edition of the Seattle Times reports the death of JEANNE HANSEN, mayor of Snoqualmie (King County) WA from 1987-1997. Ms. Hansen died Wednesday, January 3, 2001, at the age of 69, of a brain aneurysm. She was a native of Massachusetts. A memorial service was held in Snoqualmie. Funeral arrangements were not noted.

      Jill M. Myers
      Montgomery Village, MD
      jmmyers@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 13, 2001
        On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 jmmyers@... wrote:

        > The 1/2/2001 edition of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports the death
        > of WALTER H. "MIKE" DIERS, mayor of Rush City (Chisago County) MN from
        > 1960-1972. Mr. Diers died Sunday, December 31, 2000, in North Branch,
        > MN, at the age of 76. Cause of death was not reported. Mr. Diers, a
        > Lutheran, served in the Army during World War II. A memorial service
        > was held in Rush City. Funeral arrangements were not noted.
        >
        > The 1/12/2001 edition of the Seattle Times reports the death of JEANNE
        > HANSEN, mayor of Snoqualmie (King County) WA from 1987-1997. Ms.
        > Hansen died Wednesday, January 3, 2001, at the age of 69, of a brain
        > aneurysm. She was a native of Massachusetts. A memorial service was
        > held in Snoqualmie. Funeral arrangements were not noted.

        It doesn't appear that Rush City and Snoqualmie meet the population
        guideline to make their mayors eligible for the database.

        Here's a quick sketch of the guidelines I have been using for determining
        which cities' mayors are eligible. I know this sounds kind of
        bureaucratic, but there are a LOT of cities in the U.S., and I needed to
        have a guideline.

        1. An eligible city would have a population of 50,000 or more in the
        1990 or earlier U.S. Census, or a population of 10,000 or more in
        the 1950 or earlier census, or a population of 5,000 or more in
        the 1900 or earlier census.

        2. Interpolation between those points is also possible, e.g., a
        population of 6,000 in 1910, 7,000 in 1920, etc., or 20,000 in
        1960, 30,000 in 1970, etc. The numbers happen to work out so
        that the threshold increases by 1,000 per census from 1900 to
        1950, and 10,000 per census from 1950 to 1990.

        3. If a city meets the guidelines even ONCE, then all of its mayors
        for all time are eligible. There are something like 1,500
        eligible cities in the U.S.

        4. At this time, officials without the title of "Mayor" (e.g. First
        Selectman, Burgess, City Manager, President, etc.) are not
        eligible, but that may change in the future. (The fact that a
        position is "equivalent to" being mayor does not make it a mayor,
        since I'm likely to receive dozens of emails from the particular
        community explaining that so-and-so wasn't really Mayor, but
        Burgess or whatever. To accomodate non-mayor mayors, I will
        need to change some programming, and that has a low priority
        right now.)

        5. A city which does not meet that guideline can still be included if
        it has been one of the top five largest cities in a state, or if
        it no longer exists but merged with (and forms a significant part
        of) an eligible city.

        I haven't decided yet what to do about populations in the year 2000 U.S.
        Census. Logically, I suppose, I should require 60,000, but I'm inclined
        to leave the threshold at 50,000.

        A large percentage of the eligible cities are listed (usually with just
        ONE mayor) in the test version currently online.

        Any questions, please ask. Any ideas or suggestions, please speak up!

      • Jill Myers
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 13, 2001
          > It doesn't appear that Rush City and Snoqualmie meet the population
          > guideline to make their mayors eligible for the database.

          > Any questions, please ask. Any ideas or suggestions, please speak up!

          Thanks for the clarification. I've often been left wondering just what the
          guidelines were for inclusion in The Political Graveyard, as it seems that
          in the past there has been information given about judicial positions and
          cabinet-level positions, which I don't really think of as *politicians* in
          the sense that an individual runs for the office on some party platform.
          Maybe it would help "newbies" who want to contribute to post some elementary
          guidelines regarding who does (and more importantly, does not) qualify for
          inclusion. Thanks!

          Jill M. Myers
          Montgomery Village, MD
          jmmyers@...