Re: [political-graveyard] Re: Adlai Stevenson

  • Paul Larson
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
      Ha, ha, ha, ha. (no groans here).

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "D.J. Jones" <gr.jones@...>
      To: <political-graveyard@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 11:04 AM
      Subject: [political-graveyard] Re: Adlai Stevenson

      > "Paul Larson" <phlarson@c...> wrote:
      > > Mrs. Tree? Any relation to Al Gore?
      >
      > Surely you oak.
      >
      > Regards,
      > --D.J. Jones (who can hear the groans coming far and wide)
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • jim smith
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
        DJ: I don't know. I remember reading a newspaper piece about
        her many years ago. But I forget the details. Jim Smith

        --- In political-graveyard@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Larson"

        Smith-----------

        > > --- In political-graveyard@yahoogroups.com, "D.J. Jones"
        > > <gr.jones@c...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I believe there was a rumor that the night before he had
        carried
        > > on a
        > > > rather vigorous tryst with Mrs. Katherine Graham of the
        > > Washington
        > > > Post (nowhere near as infamous an expiration as that of
        > > Nelson
        > > > Rockefeller who passed into the next realm during
        "relations").

        > > his
        > > gave
        > > much
        > > >
        > > > There was a slogan oft repeated in those times, not
        apparently
        > > > positive, "Vote for Adlai - He's better than you !" It was
        because
        > > he
        > > > was considered perhaps a bit too cerebral or intellectual
        for
        > > the job.
        > > >
        > > > Regards,
        > > > --D.J. Jones
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Joseph R. Hanslip
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 13, 2004
          Good one about Al Gore, but no relation - and Marietta Tree was ANYTHING but stiff or other adjectives used to describe Gore. I had the opportunity to meet her twice and she was beautiful, charming and very interesting to talk with even for a few minutes. Quite an interesting and accomplished family as well. For those interested, given the "political graveyard" theme, she is buried at Northeast Harbor, Maine, where her Peabody forbearers maintained a summer place for years.