Re: Eugene Sawyer (and George Brown)

  • D.J. Jones
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30 5:41 PM
      "jim smith" <wrldbrowser@h...> wrote:
      > DJ: Nice bio.

      Thanks. I found it while doing some research on Lt Gov. Brown, whom I
      had not heard of previously. Along with Mervyn Dymally of CA, Brown
      was the only Black Lieutenant-Governor in the U.S. from 1975-79. I
      was trying to ascertain why Brown didn't run for a 2nd term on the
      ticket with Gov. Dick Lamm, which wasn't mentioned, in 1978. Dymally,
      in CA, ran on a separate ticket, and was defeated for reelection by
      Caucasian Republican Mike Curb (the last GOPer to win that job in
      CA), he's now a freshman in the CA Assembly after a decade out of
      public office (10 years in Congress) as an "elder statesman" of
      sorts. CO also had a Black Republican Lieutenant-Governor with Joe
      Rogers until this past January, but he didn't run for a 2nd term with
      Gov. Bill Owens because they had numerous personality conflicts,
      opting for a losing campaign in the newly-created 7th Congressional
      District. I'm hoping to locate an address on Lt Gov. Brown so I can
      write to ask him his take on things...

      I ought to get Mayor Sawyer's address, too !

      You're probably right about Richie Daley, I wouldn't be surprised to
      see him surpass Big Daddy in length of service as Mayor. It ain't
      gonna be too pretty to watch the battle royale when he leaves office.
      The place was in turmoil for that raucous 13 years between his pop's
      death and Richie taking over...

      Regards,
      --D.J. Jones
    • Gary Krause
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30 6:33 PM
        --- jim smith <wrldbrowser@...> wrote:
        > DJ: Nice bio. I'd just add that he Sawyer served as Mayor for only
        > about a year and a half and was then defeated in the Spring of'89 for
        > a full term by the present Mayor Richard Daley.

        Just a small correction - the '89 election was NOT for a full term, but
        rather for the final 2 years of Washington's 2nd term. (Harold Washington
        was elected in '83 and reelected in '87, but died not long afterward.)
        Daley was later re-elected to fill terms in '91, '95, '99 and 2003. (If I
        recall correctly, Daley was also a candidate in the '87 election which
        split 3 ways between himself, Mayor Washington and former mayor Jane
        Byrne.)

        Gary Krause

        http://shopping.yahoo.com
      • Francesca Ball
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
          Between Eugene Sawyer and his predecessor Harold Washington was David Duvall Orr, from November 25 to December 2, 1987. He was a Democrat (obviously) and was born October 4, 1944.

          We can thank the Chicago Public Library for the above information... they have some info about all of Chicago's Mayors at

          http://www.chipublib.org/004chicago/mayors/mayortxt.html

          Francesca Ball