Severe email problems

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 24, 2003
      I left Ann Arbor on Friday when the power was still out. We had to
      throw away just about everything in our refrigerator before we left.

      Our travels took us to Chicago, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Green Bay WI,
      Marinette WI, and the Straits of Mackinac in Michigan. We got back
      last night.

      Now I return to find more than eleven thousand messages in my inbox,
      most (but far from all) being viruses and misdirected complaints
      about viruses. My email system is malfunctioning under the huge
      load.

      More news when I get this stuff resolved.

      Larry
    • JOHN MANNION
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 24, 2003
        larry i got hit but not to that extent im in syracuse
        ouch!!
        --- Lawrence Kestenbaum <polygon@...> wrote:
        > I left Ann Arbor on Friday when the power was still
        > out. We had to
        > throw away just about everything in our refrigerator
        > before we left.
        >
        > Our travels took us to Chicago, Minneapolis/St.
        > Paul, Green Bay WI,
        > Marinette WI, and the Straits of Mackinac in
        > Michigan. We got back
        > last night.
        >
        > Now I return to find more than eleven thousand
        > messages in my inbox,
        > most (but far from all) being viruses and
        > misdirected complaints
        > about viruses. My email system is malfunctioning
        > under the huge
        > load.
        >
        > More news when I get this stuff resolved.
        >
        > Larry

      • Edda R. Pittman
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 24, 2003
          <<<<<<Snip>>>>>>More news when I get this stuff resolved. >>>>>>Clip<<<<<<

          I think most of us "understand".........

          The CyberSpace Parliamentarian, "At Your Service"

          "TABLE THIS" - Parliamentary Humor Booklet - Debuted 01-21-2003
          EDDA R. PITTMAN Plain text messages only 6:06 PM Sunday, August 24,
          03
        • Robin Young
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 24, 2003
            You have my fullest sympathy. That is a legendary amount of spam.
            Robin
            > I left Ann Arbor on Friday when the power was still out. We had to
            > throw away just about everything in our refrigerator before we left.
            >
            > Our travels took us to Chicago, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Green Bay WI,
            > Marinette WI, and the Straits of Mackinac in Michigan. We got back
            > last night.
            >
            > Now I return to find more than eleven thousand messages in my inbox,
            > most (but far from all) being viruses and misdirected complaints
            > about viruses. My email system is malfunctioning under the huge
            > load.
            >
            > More news when I get this stuff resolved.
            >
            > Larry

          • Grossman_Research
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 25, 2003
              Unfortunately my system got hit with the "SOBIG.F" virus, and I got over 1,000 e-mails in one day, clogging up my Hotmail system. And if any of you know about Hotmail, if you have more than 10 messages in all of your boxes you can't get anything new or send anything new. Someone should find the imbecile who crafted this virus and strangle him.

              My parents lived through the "Great Blackouts" of 1965 and 1977 in New York - my great-aunt Lilly died during the 1977 blackout when she had a heart attack.

            • Gary Krause
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 25, 2003
                --- Lawrence Kestenbaum <polygon@...> wrote:
                > I left Ann Arbor on Friday when the power was still out. We had to
                > throw away just about everything in our refrigerator before we left.

                It could have been worse - you might have left BEFORE the lights went out,
                and returned to a refrigerator overgrowing. At least you got to make some
                adjustments. And, of course, you fortunately scheduled your trip to a
                'non-dark' zone at just the right time. I'm sure you would have been more
                annoyed had the lights gone out right after you returned.

                > Our travels took us to Chicago, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Green Bay WI,
                > Marinette WI, and the Straits of Mackinac in Michigan. We got back
                > last night.

                Hope all went well, and you enjoyed your journey.

                > Now I return to find more than eleven thousand messages in my inbox,
                > most (but far from all) being viruses and misdirected complaints
                > about viruses. My email system is malfunctioning under the huge
                > load.

                I've gotten over 200 myself (51 today); I suspect I would have gotten more,
                but they kept filling up my mailbox each day - I suppose many more were
                bouncing back to the sender (or whatever poor soul's mailbox was corrupted
                to send it to ME).

                > More news when I get this stuff resolved.
                >
                > Larry

                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
              • Edda R. Pittman
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 26, 2003
                  <<<<<<Snip>>>>>> Unfortunately my system got hit with the "SOBIG.F" virus,
                  and I got over 1,000 e-mails in one day, clogging up my Hotmail system. And
                  if any of you know about Hotmail, if you have more than 10 messages in all
                  of your boxes you can't get anything new or send anything new. Someone
                  should find the imbecile who crafted this virus and strangle him.

                  My parents lived through the "Great Blackouts" of 1965 and 1977 in New York
                  - my great-aunt Lilly died during the 1977 blackout when she had a heart
                  attack. >>>>>>Clip<<<<<<

                  I have a canned response, and here it is:

                  Apparently your PC is infected with the SoBig virus.

                  Symantec has a free removal tool at
                  http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sobig.f@...

                  Be sure to read the instructions carefully and follow them step by step.
                  Once done, make sure you update your antivirus software.

                  Edda R. Pittman Plain text messages only

                  Tuesday, August 26, 03 7:28 AM

                  An Injustice to One is an Injustice to all!

                  More information on Percy Green, follow these links:

                  http://go.compuserve.com/Lawyers?SEC=22&FID=70&Loc=US&access=public OR

                  www.studweb.wustl.edu/percygreen/justice.htm

                  http://www.bamsl.org/stlawyer/archive/00/Aug00/McFarlind.htm
                  http://www.cutv.com/PGreen.htm