Re: Federal positions subject to Senate confirmation?

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 23, 2003
      I'm not sure where you could find such a list, but I read an article
      saying that the Federal Reserve chairman must be nominated by the
      President and confirmed by the Senate.

      --- In political-graveyard@yahoogroups.com, Lawrence Kestenbaum

    • limholt@excite.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 23, 2003
        The list of confirmed positions is extensive. Besides 'Ambassadors' in generally includes the undersecretaries, assistant secretaries, and general counsels of cabinet departments. Specifically, Postmaster General used to be a cabinet post, now the board of governors of the USPS are all appointed. In the past all 'First Class' Post Offices were also approved, now they are not. And that one meant that the Senators from a state actually got to name postmasters. (e.g. the senior New York Senator would name the NYC postmaster).

        As for a list (incomplete since not all offices have opened up recently), you can use: <http://www.leadershipdirectories.com/fyb_nom.htm> for cabinet and <http://www.leadershipdirectories.com/fyb_nompt2.htm> for boards.

        Good luck with the quest.

        Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com