Federal positions subject to Senate confirmation?

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 23, 2003
      Where could I find a complete historical list of federal positions which
      are nominated by the President and confirmed by the Senate?

      Obviously Cabinet members, federal judges, and ambassadors are on the
      list, but there are others. Which others?

      The list has obviously changed over time. Did the Senate formerly have to
      approve the appointment of postmasters? I remember a brief little
      fooferaw about a quarter century ago when the head of the Office of
      Management and Budget was made subject to confirmation. Hmmm, that took
      Congressional action, so presumably there is some statute that lists them
      all. Or -- unfortunately more likely -- the confirmation requirement is
      spattered all over the USCA, in all kinds of laws having to do with other
      things.

      Should the holders of such positions (subject to confirmation) be
      automatically included in The Political Graveyard?

      Mailing address: P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor MI 48106
    • Matt
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 23, 2003
        I'm not sure where you could find such a list, but I read an article
        saying that the Federal Reserve chairman must be nominated by the
        President and confirmed by the Senate.

        --- In political-graveyard@yahoogroups.com, Lawrence Kestenbaum

      • limholt@excite.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 23, 2003
          The list of confirmed positions is extensive. Besides 'Ambassadors' in generally includes the undersecretaries, assistant secretaries, and general counsels of cabinet departments. Specifically, Postmaster General used to be a cabinet post, now the board of governors of the USPS are all appointed. In the past all 'First Class' Post Offices were also approved, now they are not. And that one meant that the Senators from a state actually got to name postmasters. (e.g. the senior New York Senator would name the NYC postmaster).

          As for a list (incomplete since not all offices have opened up recently), you can use: <http://www.leadershipdirectories.com/fyb_nom.htm> for cabinet and <http://www.leadershipdirectories.com/fyb_nompt2.htm> for boards.

          Good luck with the quest.

          Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com