Moynihan Farewell...

  • David
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2003
      Dozens of Washington's most powerful lawmakers and dignitaries bid
      farewell today to former Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan, remembering
      the New York Democrat as a erudite visionary who never forgot his
      humble roots. Moynihan, who died last week at age 76, had "this
      uncanny ability to know who to trust about any particular subject,"
      said Tim Russert of NBC, for years a Senate aide to Moynihan.
      Russert recalled preparing the senator to appear on a New York talk
      show the day the Yankees were to play the sixth game of the 1977
      World Series-- a subject the cerebral Moynihan knew nearly nothing
      about. On the air, Moynihan predicted with confidence a Yankee
      championship: "If the Yankees don't do it today, (pitcher) Mike
      Torrez will do it Tuesday," he declared. "I fell out of my chair,"
      Russert recalled. "How did you know about Mike Torrez?" he asked
      afterward. Moynihan's reply: "I didn't know who it was. I was
      sitting in the makeup chair and this little kid with a Yankee hat
      and a ball and glove comes in. ... I said, 'Hey, tiger, the Yanks
      going to win today?' He said, 'If they don't win today, Torrez will
      do it Tuesday.' " Moynihan noted, "If you can't trust a 10-year-old
      with a Yankee hat, you can't trust anybody."