Re: [political-graveyard] U.S. Consuls?

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 19, 2003
      On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Grossman_Research wrote:

      > All Ambassadors and Consuls of the United States, by section and
      > country, are listed here at the State Department's website.
      >
      > Of course, information on their lives is not listed - only their terms
      > of service.

      I know the Ambassadors are listed -- I use that information all the time.
      Where did you find Consuls?

      Mailing address: P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor MI 48106
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 24, 2003
        I have revised and updated the Political Graveyard privacy policy, which
        is at http://politicalgraveyard.com/privacy.html

        I updated the list of advertisers, revised the "donors to Political
        Graveyard" section (the Amazon Honor System isn't the only route any
        more), deleted the part about selling bumper stickers, updated the
        Yahoogroups section to refer to TPG-current, and added a sentence about
        location maps to the "Property Owners of Politician Grave Sites" section.

        Because of the unique nature of the site, this is a "homebrew" privacy
        policy. It is a statement from me, written in the first person, not a
        page of passive-voice legalese boilerplate copied from other sites.

        Text of the new version is given below (see the web version for links).
        As always, comments, questions, or suggestions are welcome.

        Mailing address: P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor MI 48106

        The Political Graveyard Privacy Policy

        I'm Larry Kestenbaum, and I'm solely responsible for The Political
        Graveyard web site. I do all site maintenance, including receiving and
        responding to all email, writing and debugging all programming, accepting
        new records into the database, putting new pages online, and so on.

        During the years I have been operating the site, I have evolved a set
        of policies about privacy. This statement represents a codification of
        those policies which have already been in effect for some time.

        There are different aspects of the privacy policy which are applicable
        to different groups.

        1. Politicians, judges, and diplomats listed on the site

        The whole point of The Political Graveyard is to make accessible
        information about political leaders (including judges and diplomats)
        who have had an impact on American history. Each and every person
        listed as a politician on the site, living or dead, is a "public
        figure" within the meaning of New York Times v. Sullivan and
        following cases. The disclosure of personally identifiable
        information about political figures, including dates and places of
        birth and death, offices held, cause of death, burial location,
        relation to other political figures, indictments or other legal
        difficulties, historical significance, etc., is central to the mission
        of the web site and within my First Amendment rights.

        However, I also reserve the right to omit from the web site any
        information I deem to be sensitive or personal, particularly as to
        living or recently deceased figures.

        On occasion, political figures do contact me directly to provide
        information or simply to discuss politics or history. I never
        disclose private email addresses (even of public figures) to anyone
        else without the addressee's consent.

        To avoid confusion, listed politicians who contribute information or
        ideas to the web site are not explicitly offered an opportunity to be
        omitted from the Acknowledgements. However, requests to be omitted
        from the Acknowledgements are always honored.

        Requests by or on behalf of a political figure to be deleted from the
        politician listings in the database and web site cannot be honored,
        unless there was a mistake of identity or in the original
        determination of eligibility.

        Requests to modify the text associated with a particular political
        figure are taken very seriously. The intent is that all entries be
        factual and balanced, yet brief. Indictments and trials are mentioned
        even if an acquittal or dismissal resulted, and even if the defendant
        was completely exonerated or had been wrongly accused. Suggestions
        for brief, accurate, and unbiased summaries of specific politicians'
        troubles with the law are always welcome.

        When a burial site of a listed politician is on private property not
        open to the public, the Political Graveyard web site indicates only
        the county (or county equivalent), not the exact location.

        2. Researchers who contact me to provide information

        I presume that ordinarily, a person who takes the initiative to
        provide information for the web site expects to be, or appreciates
        being, acknowledged for doing so. It is also important for research
        purposes to keep track of the sources of all information, and to
        maintain contact information in case questions arise.

        As email and postal mail messages are processed, I send each
        first-time contributor an email message thanking them. If the email
        is undeliverable, I make no additional effort to find the person.

        The name (if given), email address, and a copy of the incoming and
        outgoing email is saved in my personal archives for future reference.
        No email address or personal detail of contributors are disclosed to
        others without the person's consent, and none of this information is
        sold or shared or used in any way except to maintain The Political
        Graveyard.

        A list of many of the contributors of information and ideas to the web
        site appears in the Acknowledgements. By default, the name of each
        new contributor is added to that list at the time of the next web site
        update. Contributors who do not provide their names, or who request
        (at any time) that they not be listed, are omitted. If a first-time
        contributor has not already indicated a preference to be listed or not
        listed, the thank-you email points out this option.

        Some contributors ask that their listing in the Acknowledgements be a
        link to their email address or web site; these requests are
        honored.

        Email messages from members of law or accounting firms often include a
        long boilerplate footer stating that the contents of the message are
        confidential. In general, if the boilerplate is contrary to the plain
        intent of the sender to provide public information for the web site, I
        disregard the claim that the information is confidential.

        3. Visitors to the site

        The Political Graveyard does not collect personally identifiable
        information about those who visit the web site.

        However, the web server does generate, in the ordinary course of
        operation, http logs which record the numeric IP address, date and
        time, filename, and other information about each "hit". These logs
        are retained indefinitely, and are used to generate the traffic
        statistics which are published through the web site.

        These logs are accessible only to me, to Paul Haas, the owner of my
        web server, and theoretically to others designated by Paul.

        Referring sites with links to PoliticalGraveyard.com or Potifos.com
        (which show up in the http log) are occasionally checked to see if
        they should be added to the reciprocal links page, the awards page, or
        the reviews and comments page.

        The Political Graveyard and its hosting web server do not generate or
        use "cookies" in any way.

        The ads appearing on this Web site are delivered to users by
        ValueClick.com, Amazon.com, Powells.com, and Commission Junction, our
        Web advertising providers. Visitors to the web site who have graphics
        "on" will also be downloading ad banners directly from the advertising
        providers, which means they are generating http log entries (with IP
        addresses, but generally not personally identifiable information) at
        the advertiser's site. The advertiser's site may also set cookies on
        the user's machine.

        For more information, please consult the privacy policies of the
        current advertising providers:

        - http://www.valueclick.com/
        - http://www.amazon.com/
        - http://www.powells.com/
        - http://www.cj.com/

        Note that this privacy statement (the one you're reading now) is from
        and about PoliticalGraveyard.com only, and does not cover the use of
        logs or cookies by any advertisers.

        4. Donors to Political Graveyard

        The Political Graveyard receives voluntary donations of money through
        (1) the "Amazon Honor System" of Amazon.com, (2) PayPal, and (3)
        personal checks sent by mail.

        Donations via the Honor System are handled by Amazon. Unless the
        donor asks Amazon to transmit information to me, all I get is the date
        and amount of the contribution. See Amazon's privacy policy for more
        about this.

        Donations via PayPal or personal checks come with name and either
        email or postal address attached. This information is retained as a
        financial record, and not sold to anyone, or disclosed except as part
        of accounting for my income, e.g., reported for tax purposes.

        Of course, any transaction which involves PayPal, a bank check, a
        money order, etc., requires the involvement of third parties to
        process the payment in the ordinary course of banking. I am not
        responsible for how those third parties handle personally identifiable
        information.

        In the future, I hope to have some kind of honor roll of donors and
        supporters, but participation in this will be at the donor's
        option.

        5. Members of the Political-Graveyard and TPG-current email groups on
        Yahoogroups

        Use of the Political-Graveyard and TPG-current email groups on
        Yahoogroups is covered by Yahoo's privacy policy. In particular, any
        messages which are posted to either group are transmitted to its
        members, and may be archived in multiple locations. Your identity as
        a member of the group is essentially public, especially if you post
        any messages.

        6. Property Owners of Politician Grave Sites

        I do not want to encourage any trespassing on private property.

        When a burial site of a listed politician is on private property not
        open to the public, the Political Graveyard web site indicates only
        the county (or county equivalent), not the exact location.

        My determination of whether a grave site is or is not a private
        location is based on the totality of the information available to me
        at the time. I provide links to location maps only where I am certain
        that a site's location is public knowledge.

        Property owners who would like a site they own not to be specifically
        identified, or to be identified in a different way, are invited to
        contact me.

        The fact that a cemetery is listed on the web site, however, does not
        necessarily mean that members of the public are permitted to enter its
        grounds.

        Contact Information

        If you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions about this privacy
        policy (or indeed any aspect of this web site), please contact Lawrence
        Kestenbaum, polygon@..., or P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor MI 48106.

        Revised, March 24, 2003.