Re: [political-graveyard] Masonic Mayors In Rhode Island

    Message 1 of 13 , May 12, 2000
      On Fri, 12 May 2000 ScottBillHirst@... wrote:

      > The Mayors of Rhode Island who were definitely Freemasons:
      > 1. Thomas Arthur Doyle- Providence-Republican
      > Doyle was a very active Freemason
      > 2.Albert Pradervand Ruerat-Warwick-Republican
      > Ruerat was Republican nominee for Governor of Rhode Island in
      > 1948,was Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Rhode Island in 1951.
      > 3.Horace E. Hobbs-Warwick-Democrat
      > Democratic nominee for Governor of Rhode Island in 1966
      > No doubt there are others.

      Do you happen to have the years they each served as mayor?

    • Rick Parker
      Message 2 of 13 , May 12, 2000
        I have been a Mason since 1966, a Knight Templar
        since 1967 and a member of Olekia Shrine since 1968, I
        am then in good company
        --- ScottBillHirst@... wrote:
        > The Mayors of Rhode Island who were definitely
        > Freemasons:
        > 1. Thomas Arthur Doyle- Providence-Republican
        > Doyle was a very active Freemason
        > 2.Albert Pradervand Ruerat-Warwick-Republican
        > Ruerat was Republican nominee for Governor of Rhode
        > Island in
        > 1948,was Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Rhode
        > Island in 1951.
        > 3.Horace E. Hobbs-Warwick-Democrat
        > Democratic nominee for Governor of Rhode Island in
        > 1966
        > No doubt there are others.

        =====
        Rick Parker

        http://im.yahoo.com/
        Message 3 of 13 , May 14, 2000
          As I have been getting things ready for the new version, I have run across
          a few nagging little questions. Most of these are cases where there is
          quite a lot of information, but one crucial bit is missing. If any of
          y'all have helpful information about any of these, I'd appreciate it.

          Note that for county locations, the idea is to have the county name or
          location as it exists today, which of course may be different from what it
          was when these events took place.

          Some of this relates to Civil War history; unfortunately I do not have any
          handy reference to Civil War battles and events. The last question should
          appeal to railroad historians!

          1. Thomas Reade Rootes Cobb, Confederate general and member of the
          Confederate Congress, died December 13, 1862, at the battle of
          Fredericksburg. QUESTION: What state was that in?

          2. James Streshly Jackson, Union general and Kentucky congressman, was
          killed October 8, 1862, at the battle of Perryville. QUESTION: Where is
          the Perryville where the battle took place? (state and county)

          3. Robert H. Keefe, California judge, died at the USC/Norris
          Comprehensive Cancer Center. QUESTION: Where is that? (city and county)

          4. William Rufus de Vane King, vice-president, died at his plantation,
          King's Bend, in Alabama. QUESTION: Where is that? (county and maybe
          near-city)

          5. George L. Kinnard, Indiana congressman, died in the explosion of the
          steamer Flora on the Ohio River, November 26, 1836. QUESTION: Where on
          the Ohio River? (at least a state, ideally near-city and county)

          6. John Basil Lamar, Georgia congressman and Confederate soldier, wounded
          in the battle of Crampton's Gap, Maryland, and died the following day,
          September 15, 1862. QUESTION: Where is that?

          7. George Thomas 'Mickey' Leland, Texas congressman, died in an airplane
          crash in 1989. QUESTION: Date, location?

          8. Here's the best one yet. Congressman James Peter Glynn, of
          Connecticut, died March 6, 1930, on a train en route to Washington DC from
          Huntington WV. The congressional bio gives his death location as "near
          Washington", which is not at all helpful since nothing near Washington is
          in DC, and this unruly data point creates headaches in programming!

          So I looked up the obits in the Washington Post and New York Times.
          Apparently the train was scheduled to arrive at Union Station in
          Washington at 7:40 AM. Congressman Glynn had his heart attack in the
          smoking car and died almost immediately at 6:00 AM. They telegraphed
          ahead to Union Station to have a doctor ready there for him, of course to
          no avail. (Could they have telegraphed from a moving train, or does that
          imply they made a stop on the way to send the message?)

          The most logical route to go by train from Huntington to Washington in
          1930 looks to have been the Baltimore & Ohio. If that is the route they
          followed, the question is how long it takes to get from Harper's Ferry (at
          the state line) to Washington Union Station -- less than an hour and 40
          minutes means he probably died in Maryland *IF* they took the B&O.

          However, the New York Times obituary, which gave much less information,
          stated that he died on a Chesapeake & Ohio train. It's not at all clear
          to me what the route would have been, but very likely it would have been
          through Virginia.

          Could a C&O passenger train have run on B&O tracks in 1930? Or could the
          Times just be wrong about which railroad it was?

          Note that Congressman Glynn was with a party of 12 members of Congress who
          had been at a funeral in West Virginia. They probably would have wanted
          the fastest available way back to DC.

          Anyway, have at it, if you like, and many thanks for your help.

          Message 4 of 13 , May 14, 2000
            On Sun, 14 May 2000, Lawrence Kestenbaum wrote:

            > The most logical route to go by train from Huntington to Washington in
            > 1930 looks to have been the Baltimore & Ohio. If that is the route they
            > followed, the question is how long it takes to get from Harper's Ferry (at
            > the state line) to Washington Union Station -- less than an hour and 40
            > minutes means he probably died in Maryland *IF* they took the B&O.

            Of course, I meant, if it takes a 1930 B&O passenger train MORE (not less)
            than an hour and forty minutes to get to Washington from Harpers Farry,
            then obviously the train would have been in Maryland at 6:00 am when the
            Congressman died.

          • ittner@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , May 14, 2000
              I believe I can help with the answers to a few of your questions.

              1. The Battle of Fredericksburg was in Virginia, either Spotsylvania County
              or Stafford County, or even possibly the independent city of Fredericksburg.
              Just returned from vacation there a week ago.

              2. The Battle of Perryville took place in Boyle County, Kentucky.

              4. William King's plantation Kings Bend was near Cahaba in Dallas County,
              Alabama.

              7. Mickey Leland's plane went down, I believe, in Ethiopia, in Africa as he
              was on a fact finding tour for the Select Committee on Hunger.

              Hope this helps. Your web site continues to be one of the most interesting
              on the Internet.

              Gary Ittner
            • AEParshall@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , May 14, 2000
                A couple, not many --

                1. Thomas Reade Rootes Cobb, Confederate general and member of the
                Confederate Congress, died December 13, 1862, at the battle of
                Fredericksburg. QUESTION: What state was that in?

                >>> Virginia

                6. John Basil Lamar, Georgia congressman and Confederate soldier, wounded
                in the battle of Crampton's Gap, Maryland, and died the following day,
                September 15, 1862. QUESTION: Where is that?

                >>> Frederick Co., Maryland
              • Jill M. Myers
                Message 7 of 13 , May 14, 2000
                  Answers to some of questions:

                  1. VA, mostly Stafford County
                  2. Kentucky, Boyle County
                  3. Los Angles, CA, Los Angles County
                  4. There is a King's Bend AL, located in Blount County, near Clarence
                  5. unknown (researching)
                  6. nearest Keedysville, in now Washington County, then Frederick County
                  7. Gambela, Ethiopia, 08/07/1989
                  8. unknown (researching)

                  BTW, a useful site for pinpointing places in terms of city and county is
                  the Geographic Nameserver at

                  http://mapping.usgs.gov/wwww/gnis/gnisform.html

                  Jill M. Myers
                  Montgomery Village, MD
                  jmmyers@...

> [...]
                  > followed, the question is how long it takes to get from Harper's Ferry (at
                  > the state line) to Washington Union Station -- less than an hour and 40
                  > minutes means he probably died in Maryland *IF* they took the B&O.
                  >
                  > However, the New York Times obituary, which gave much less information,
                  > stated that he died on a Chesapeake & Ohio train. It's not at all clear
                  > to me what the route would have been, but very likely it would have been
                  > through Virginia.
                  >
                  > Could a C&O passenger train have run on B&O tracks in 1930? Or could the
                  > Times just be wrong about which railroad it was?
                  >
                  > Note that Congressman Glynn was with a party of 12 members of Congress who
                  > had been at a funeral in West Virginia. They probably would have wanted
                  > the fastest available way back to DC.
                  >
                  > Anyway, have at it, if you like, and many thanks for your help.

                • Jill M. Myers
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 14, 2000
                    Don't know if this helps any, but I used to ride the Maryland rail commuter
                    train (then using old rail passenger cars) that goes from Martinsburg, WV,
                    makes a stop in Harpers Ferry and then continues to its final destination at
                    Union Station in Washington DC on CSX rails, following probably the most
                    used route from both historically and in present day from West Virginia to
                    DC. From Harpers Ferry to Union Station on the MARC train today is about 1
                    1/2 hours, with all the intermediate stops the train makes (some of which
                    did not exist in 1930). Probably the Congressman died somewhere in Maryland
                    south of Harper's Ferry--my guess would be somewhere around Point of
                    Rocks--in the 1930s and before having a major passenger rail presence.

                    See attached timetable for schedule of current MARC trains from Martinsburg
                    to DC:

                    http://www.mtamaryland.com/marc/marc_sch_brun_e.htm

                    Jill M. Myers
                    Montgomery Village, MD
                    jmmyers@...

                    > On Sun, 14 May 2000, Lawrence Kestenbaum wrote:
                    >
                    > > The most logical route to go by train from Huntington to Washington in
                    > > 1930 looks to have been the Baltimore & Ohio. If that is the route they
                    > > followed, the question is how long it takes to get from Harper's Ferry
                    (at
                    > > the state line) to Washington Union Station -- less than an hour and 40
                    > > minutes means he probably died in Maryland *IF* they took the B&O.
                    >
                    > Of course, I meant, if it takes a 1930 B&O passenger train MORE (not less)
                    > than an hour and forty minutes to get to Washington from Harpers Farry,
                    > then obviously the train would have been in Maryland at 6:00 am when the
                    > Congressman died.
                    >
                    > ---
                    > Lawrence Kestenbaum, polygon@...
                    > The Political Graveyard, http://politicalgraveyard.com

                  • Lotz, David (Dallas)
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 15, 2000
                      I can help with George Thomas "Mickey" Leland. He died in a plane crash in
                      Ethopia (Africa) on 7 Aug 1989.

[...]

                      Life's too short to send boring email. Let SuperSig come to
                      the rescue.
                      http://click.egroups.com/1/3805/1/_/360058/_/958354697/

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 17, 2000
                        It's a dramatic story: on February 28, 1844, practically the entire upper
                        echelon of the U.S. government, from President John Tyler on down,
                        including many cabinet members, congressional leaders, former First Lady
                        Dolley Madison, etc., boarded the Navy's steam frigate "Princeton" for a
                        brief cruise down the Potomac to see the huge "Peacemaker" cannon tested.
                        This was the largest cannon ever cast for any government up to that time;
                        it was able to shoot foot-diameter 225 pound cannonballs up to four miles.

                        The gun appeared to perform as advertised, until about 4pm when it
                        exploded, killing the Secretary of State, the Secretary of the Navy, along
                        with (I just learned) N.Y. state senator David Gardiner, whose daughter
                        would later marry the President, and a former Minister to Belgium. Sen.
                        Thomas Hart Benton of Missouri was badly hurt.

                        Question is: where did this explosion happen? In the database, it's "near
                        Washington", which is clearly not acceptable for the same reasons I
                        mentioned in connection with Congressman Glynn.

                        Accounts I have been looking at have placed the explosion in THREE
                        different places:

                        1. Off the Maryland shore, near Fort Washington.

                        2. Near Alexandria, Virginia.

                        3. Near Mount Vernon (George Washington's old home), Virginia.

                        I tend to doubt #3, since as I understand it, the voyage was essentially
                        from Washington to Mount Vernon and back, and surely by 4pm they were on
                        the return trip.

                        Does anyone have any better ideas or resources on this?

                      • jmmyers@sprynet.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 17, 2000
                          I grew up near the Fort Washington area of Maryland and remember hearing from the park rangers at the Fort about how the accident on the Princeton happened near Fort Washington (which is virtually directly across the river from Mount Vernon).

                          For more info, see:

                          http://thecabin.net/stories/111599/wor_1115990018.html

                          Jill M. Myers
                          Montgomery Village, MD
                          jmmyers@...

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 17, 2000
                            From page 169 of a book titled The City of Washington: An Illustrated
                            History, by The Junior League of Washington, edited by Thomas Froncek
                            (Avenel, New Jersey: Wings Books, 1977) is the following:

                            "Most Awful and Most Lamentable Catastrophe!" read the headline in The
                            National Intelligencer the day after a gun exploded aboard the U.S.S.
                            Princeton during a gala inspection cruise. As the paper reported in its
                            issue of February 29, 1844, the accident occurred:

                            "yesterday afternoon, whilst [the Princeton was] under way, in the river
                            Potomac, fourteen or fifteen miles below this city.
                            "Guests to full four hundred of Commander Stockton, men and women,
                            were on board. The ship went below Fort Washington. To entertain the guests
                            and at the same time to exhibit the capacity of a formidable gun (carrying a
                            ball of 225 pounds) it was fired several times. On the return and at a time
                            when all the women and most of the men were in other parts of the ship--the
                            time of a sumptuous repast--to the request that the gun be fired the
                            Commander gave consent. The gun burst. The commander was stunned to extent
                            he did not recover for some days. Seventeen seamen were wounded and if any
                            were killed it is not mentioned. Five distinguished men were killed: Abel P.
                            Upshur, Secretary of State; Thomas W. Gilmer, Secretary of the Navy; Captain
                            Beverly W. Kennon, Chief of the Bureau of Construction and Equipment of the
                            Navy; Virgil Maxcy, Charge d'Affairs of the United States in Belgium David
                            Gardiner, Ex-Senator of New York.
                            "From the ship the next morning the bodies were transferred to the
                            east room of the President's Mansion and lay in State at the Mansion. ...
                            The procession was impressive. Twelve men of honorable distinction preceded
                            each hearse.The bodies were placed in the vault of the Congressional burying
                            ground."