Re: NJ Senate Race: If ..then Who?

  • "D.J." Jones
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2002
      David McNamara <dcm1981@b...> wrote:
      > The Democrats CAN replace Da Torch on the ballot if given
      > permission by the Attorney General, per state law that i've read.

      That's the first I've heard of that, as that would be a direct
      contradiction of state law under the Constitution that specifically
      states "51 days." But the AG is likely to do whatever the Governor
      tells him in any event, since he is directly accountable to him, but
      we're going to see lawsuits galore in any event if this act of
      desperation is ruled as kosher.

      > I've just read the Menendez is a no go. Bradley probably won't run
      > either. I don't think Lautenberg is too gung ho either.

      Oh, Lautenberg is very much gung-ho. He's willing to commit his $$ to
      this -- BUT -- The Torch is apparently going to give Lautenberg a
      really tough time if he throws his name into contention (the hate
      towards him works both ways).

      > I'd go with Pallone or Andrews as the Democrat nominee.

      But what to do with their House seats ? This could have repercussions
      down to the legislative level. If a Dem state Senator "replaces" one
      of them on a ballot (and more lawsuits if this happens as well, since
      it's the same situation as with the Torch), that will cost them
      parity in the State Senate adding to McGreevey's heartburn dealing
      with a GOP State Senate.

      A big, gigantic mess, to say the least...

      Regards,
      --D.J. Jones