Re: New Records - PGY

  • fieldmarshaldj
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2002
      "kengibs" wrote:
      > Since 1999???

      Yup.

      > Gee, there have been two updates since then.... I'm most
      > interested in correcting old records with missing data or adding
      > records for active politicians whose information is changing....
      >
      > Like you I've been offering information since 1999....then layed
      > off for about 7 months.... Now when I try to offer additional
      > information I'm finding the earlier corrections are missing so am
      > wondering just what the update cycle is...

      I occasionally do updating info, but the main thing I focus on is
      doing a daily scouring for obituaries, and I've not missed a day in
      doing so in 3 years, I've forwarded upwards of 800 names since that
      time.

      > I fully appreciate the "tons" of new information that Larry is
      > receiving and the difficulty it must present when it is unformatted
      > and in a raw [editorial] state.... So when it takes more than a
      > year to accept and use good data the prudent thing to do may be to
      > discontinue submitting anything until the update can be
      > released...
      > Only in that way can we know what it is we are correcting....

      Well, when I submit the obituaries, which I send directly to his
      email box (as opposed to this website, for which I send info on
      current candidates (that may contain a small bio) and/or scandals or
      other articles that may interest our fellow subscribers here), I list
      the actual date of death, such as "this person died in Anywhere,AL on
      01/01/2002", which is of enormous help to Larry (instead of anonymous
      emails that say "Mr. Joe Smith died on Friday" -- well, given that
      sometimes he gets an enormous backlog, that Friday could be Friday
      last week or Friday umpteen months ago). Certainly it is a source of
      frustration I hope that I alleviate with my submissions.

      Regards,
      --D.J. Jones
    • fieldmarshaldj
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2002
        Lawrence Kestenbaum wrote:
        > I'm really sorry about this. I have posted a tremendous amount of
        > new information into the database over the past year (the new total
        > is now over 100,000), but inevitably there is a backlog of material
        > which still needs to be done.

        Well, as you certainly know, you do yeoman work in documenting this
        very important historical subject !

        > As y'all may know, I'm having throat surgery on May 8th, and I am
        > trying to get the new version of the web site online before that.
        > Recovery is expected to take a while -- I'll be off work for three
        > weeks.
        >
        > Right now the priority is to get the new version finished, so I
        > have been neglecting the email a bit. Again, my apologies to
        > everyone.

        Well, don't worry about things, just take care of yourself, and
        here's to a successful surgery and speedy recovery !

        Regards,
        --D.J. Jones
      • Gary Krause
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2002
          --- Lawrence Kestenbaum <polygon@...> wrote:

          > I'm really sorry about this. I have posted a
          > tremendous amount of new information into the
          > database over the past year (the new total is now
          > over 100,000), but inevitably there is a backlog of
          > material which still needs to be done.

          No apologies necessary. Besides the fact that you have
          a lot of other things to do, we all must keep in mind
          that while the rest of us work separately, you
          essentially have to re-enter much (if not most) of
          what ALL of us send to you. And you have, we all
          realize, MANY contributors (not just regulars). As for
          myself, I try to hold back anything I've got whenever
          you notify an upcoming update; it saves both of us the
          time from my sending info you already have. Besides, I
          usually take note if you've made changes or additions
          in what you're looking for. (New categories,
          notations, etc.) I know I've sent a lot of material
          that's not posted yet, but I can't even imagine how
          much you get in all.

          > As y'all may know, I'm having throat surgery on May
          > 8th, and I am trying to get the new version of the
          web
          > site online before that. Recovery is expected to
          take a
          > while -- I'll be off work for three weeks.

          Me too (a few weeks off, that is), though for another
          reason I may mention later.

          Best wishes to you in your surgery and full recovery;
          here's hoping you come back better than ever!

          > Right now the priority is to get the new version
          > finished, so I have been neglecting the email a bit.

          > Again, my apologies to everyone.

          No problem. Best of health to you!!

          Gary Krause

          http://health.yahoo.com