[political-graveyard] Re: Link to Biographical Index Possible?

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 21, 2000
      Thank you for starting up discussion. I had been meaning to get around to
      it.

      Warm welcome to everyone -- and thank you all for your interest in The
      Political Graveyard!

      On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Ron Gillilan wrote:

      > Some of your wonderful material has sent me scrambling to access
      > Galenet's "Biography and Genealogy Master Index" online through my
      > local library. Is there a way that your site providers can provide
      > links between "Political Graveyard" and "Biography and Genealogy Master
      > Index" so that users could receive source citations online? I realize
      > that there is a problem of "Biography and Genealogy Master Index" being
      > funded by using institutions, but "Political Graveyard" may have market
      > leverage to negotiate some kind of special arrangement.

      I confess that I'm not familiar with the index you're referring to. In
      general, I have stayed away from Gale publications in doing research for
      the web site because of concern over Gale's very aggressive view of what
      constitutes copyright infringement. (More on that another time.)

      I'd love to systematically provide more links to detailed biographical
      information, as I currently do to bioguide.congress.gov for everyone who
      has ever served in Congress. Eventually, I'd like to do the same with the
      Texas Handbook Online, the Encyclopedia Britannica, and other major online
      resources. But, realistically, they have to be online first before I can
      link to them -- not to mention also having a structure from which it is
      possible to get and use a consistent URL to access specific biographies,
      and an organizational tolerance for such "deep links".

      In other words, if the Biography and Genealogy Master Index can only be
      accessed through participating libraries, or is otherwise restricted, it's
      not going to be very useful to the average TPG user browsing from home or
      office.

      Much as I'm flattered to think that TPG has any "market leverage," I
      should say that 20,000 hits a day is pretty puny next to the big sites
      that get millions of hits.

      One other thing -- as to my "site providers": TPG lives on a server at the
      home of a technogeek friend of mine, Paul Haas. Paul is the guy who was
      briefly famous, in the pre-WWW days, for putting his hot tub on the
      Internet (he was worried about it freezing, so he wanted to be able to
      check the water temperature from work; as a side effect, so could everyone
      else in the online world). You can read about Paul and his family -- and
      wave to his cats with a robotic hand -- via his home page:
      http://www.hamjudo.com

      Sorry to rattle on for so long, and again, welcome to the list!

    • Ron Gillilan
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 29, 2000
          I didn't see it, but I am told that CNN Headline News did a segment on The
          Political Graveyard web site last night.

          If anyone has more information, I'd like to hear about it!

          Also -- the server's Internet link has been dramatically improved.
          Starting today, it has ten times the bandwidth: so pages will load faster,
          more traffic can be accommodated, etc.

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5, 2000
            Hello, everyone -- several items of news about the web site:

            1. NEW VERSION OF THE WEB SITE -- TEST VERSION SOON

            I am working on a new version of the web site. The new version will have
            over 60,000 entries (compared to 53,115 on the current one). Most of the
            new entries are state legislators, mayors, and delegates to national
            conventions. The number of burial locations is closing in on 12,500
            (though not all of those are actually cemeteries).

            I will do a test version first. The test version will be at
            http://www.potifos.com/TEST-VERSION/

            There is an older test version at that address now. That will be deleted
            and replaced with a new test version, some time in the next few days.
            Feel free to browse the test version, but please don't make links to it.

            Depending on how much time I have to do programming, the new version will
            have several new features.

            If any of y'all have thoughts about new features, please share your ideas.
            Sometime this week, I'll also post some of my thoughts about which new
            things I'm aiming at.

            2. CNN HEADLINE NEWS REPORT

            I still have no word from CNN on what exactly they said about TPG in the
            report on March 28. However, I seem to have gotten the attention of a
            human there, and I'm hopeful I'll hear something soon.

            3. POLITICAL GRAVEYARD BUMPER STICKERS?

            AND FINALLY, since it is an election year, I think it might be fun to make
            bumper stickers. What I have in mind is a quality vinyl sticker, 14
            inches long, with the text in large type:

            PoliticalGraveyard.com

            And below that, in much smaller lettering:

            A database of history, politics, and cemeteries.

            When I get around to it, I'll do up a design and scan it.

            The place to have bumper stickers printed in this area is Sawicki & Son in
            Detroit.

            4. CHANGE TO LOGO

            I should also mention that Kate Darnell, the artist who did the original
            TPG logos, will be doing a new version of the main (large) image to better
            reflect the focus of the site.

            The subhead from "A Database of Histoirc Cemeteries" will be changed to "A
            Database of History, Politics, and Cemeteries" *or* "A Database of History
            & Cemeteries". If you think one of those choices is significantly better
            than the other, speak up now!

            Many thanks, and best wishes to everyone!

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 17, 2000
              I was out of town a few days (visiting in-laws in Kentucky) and I'm sorry
              to say that I still don't have the new version online yet, not even as a
              test version. And since I didn't have access to email while I was gone,
              the unanswered-email backlog is up a bit. My apologies to anyone who is
              waiting for a reply from me!

              I did manage to get down to Frankfort for part of a day, to the KDLA
              (Kentucky state library and archives), and I collected a few hundred names
              of Kentucky state legislators. Essentially this meant copying the names
              and other information from microfilmed 3x5 cards, typing them into my
              laptop computer. The cards only cover the period from 1930 to 1983.

              Does anyone know of any other sources for a list of everyone who has
              served in the Kentucky house and senate?

              Tomorrow, I will be going to Detroit to pick up the newly printed
              PoliticalGraveyard.com bumper stickers. I have already put up an
              announcement on the web site that these are available for an SASE and one
              dollar. When I figure out what postage will cost, I'll post prices for
              quantities of 3 or more.