John Orlando Pastore,1907-2000,RI Governor/US Senator

  • Scott Hirst
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21, 2000
      John Orlando Pastore,RI Lt. Governor,1945,Governor, 1945-1950, and US
      Senator,1950-1976,recently died.I attended calling hours at the
      funeral home,visited a site at the Rhode Island State House in his
      memory,and wrote an piece for "The Chariho Times" on him.At the last
      Hopkinton Town Council meeting, I moved we adjourn in his
      honor/memory.While I am a Republican,and the Senator was a
      Democrat,he had become a true giant in Rhode Island history.He will
      be missed.He was the first Italian American to become Governor of a
      state and Italian American US Senator.He gave a memorable "keynote
      speech" at the 1964 Democratic National Convention.