PA Teen Mayor To Be Sworn in

  • kengib
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2002

      Pa. Teen Mayor To Be Sworn in

      MERCER, Pa. (AP) - Christopher Portman's high school classmates thought he was joking when he told them he was running for mayor last year.

      He wasn't - and on Wednesday, the 19-year-old Portman will take the oath of office as mayor of Mercer, a western Pennsylvania borough with 2,391 residents 60 miles south of Erie.

      ``I feel it's important for young people to get involved and give back to the community,'' said Portman, a Republican who lives with his parents and twin 17-year-old brothers.

      He defeated 55-year-old Councilman Kenneth Vernon and another young candidate, John Kish, 19, in the Republican primary. He also won the Democratic nomination with a write-in vote.

      ``People thought I was doing it for the money until they heard the salary,'' Portman said of his $1,875 annual pay.

      Mercer's mayor doesn't have much power, serving mostly as a tiebreaker for borough council votes and as overseer for the police. Portman views his job as a goodwill ambassador who inspires others - especially high school students - to volunteer more. He also hopes to organize a fund-raising foundation to raise money for community projects.

      When he's not wearing his mayoral hat, Portman will be a freshman beginning this month at nearby Westminster College, where he plans to major in broadcast communications and minor in political science.

      The young mayor hopes his political career does not end in Mercer.

      ``I think the most important thing to me is setting goals,'' Portman said. ``My lifetime goal is to run for president.''

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 21, 2002
        I recently ran and posted the final year 2001 web traffic statistics for
        PoliticalGraveyard.com -- see:

        http://politicalgraveyard.com/stats-2001.html

        Total recorded hits for year 2001 came to 13.1 million (it would have been
        even more if we hadn't lost most of June's data). This compares to about
        8.3 million for year 2000. Every month since May (except incomplete June)
        had over a million hits; October and November had over 1.5 million.

        Perhaps a more meaningful number: unique visitors per day averaged 4,008
        in the year 2000, and 4,620 in 2001.

        Hits per unique visitor increased from about 5.72 to about 8.34 -- I'm not
        sure why. Apparently the average number of pages per visit went up, which
        suggests that people are finding the site more interesting. Or perhaps,
        search engines have become more effective, and the number of people who
        back out after seeing one page ("no, this is not what I was looking for")
        has been reduced.

        Washtenaw County Commissioner, 4th District
        Ebay Page, http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/potifos/
        Mailing address: P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor MI 48106
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 22, 2002
          Here's a set of problems:

          (1) I have Gov. Ruby Laffoon (1869-1941) of Kentucky listed as buried in
          Odd Fellows Cemetery, Madisonville KY. A correspondent has written to say
          that he is buried in Grapevine Cemetery, not Odd Fellows. Which is right?
          (Or are they the same? Or was he buried in one then reinterred in the
          other?)

          (2) Mrs. Ruby Laffoon was a delegate from Kentucky to the 1944, 1948, and
          1952 Democratic National Conventions. I'd be interested in more
          information about her, particularly her name and dates.

          (3) Gov. Ruby Laffoon's uncle was Polk Laffoon (1844-1906), a congressman
          from Kentucky in 1885-89. Gov's Laffoon's first cousin was also named Pok
          Laffoon (1877-1945), of Covington KY, a delegate to the 1932 Democratic
          National Convention.

          (4) Finally, at the 1960 Democratic National Convention, there was a
          delegate from Madisonville KY named Ruby Laffoon. Obviously the Gov. had
          been dead for nearly 20 years by then. Could this have been Mrs. Ruby
          (with the Mrs. accidentally left out of the official delegate list)? Or
          did Ruby Laffoon have another similarly named relative who was a
          Democratic delegate in 1960?

          Many thanks for any help with these questions -- particularly (1), (2),
          and (4).

          Mailing address: P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor MI 48106
        • hbremmer@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 22, 2002
            Larry,
            According to info on the Worldconnect area of Ancestry.com, Ruby
            Laffoon was buried in Grapevine cemetery. Polk Laffoon was buried in the
            Odd Fellows cemetery in Madisonville.
            Mrs. Ruby Laffoon's name was Mary (nee Nisbet). She died 5 June 1972.
            Right below Ruby Laffoon's entry in the Kentucky Death Index
            (1911-present) there is an entry for a Ruby F. Laffoon who died 25 June
            1962 at age 51 in Hopkins, KY. This might be the Ruby Laffoon who was a
            delegate to the 1960 convention. I've tried but have been unable to
            discover anything more about Ruby F. Laffoon. Hope this helps!

            Helen Bremmer
          • Gary Krause
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 22, 2002
              --- Lawrence Kestenbaum <polygon@...> wrote:

              > Perhaps a more meaningful number: unique visitors
              > per day averaged 4,008
              > in the year 2000, and 4,620 in 2001.
              >
              > Hits per unique visitor increased from about 5.72 to
              > about 8.34 -- I'm not sure why. Or perhaps,
              > search engines have become more effective, and the
              > number of people who back out after seeing one page
              > ("no, this is not what I was looking for") has been
              reduced.

              True, but if the people previously backing out after
              one page are gone completely, AND "unique visitors"
              are up, then those finding the site incorrectly are
              being more than made up for by those who DID find what
              they're looking for. (Which is a GOOD thing)

              No?

              Gary Krause
              scgaryk@...

              Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
              http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 23, 2002
                On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Gary Krause wrote:

                > > Hits per unique visitor increased from about 5.72 to
                > > about 8.34 -- I'm not sure why. Or perhaps,
                > > search engines have become more effective, and the
                > > number of people who back out after seeing one page
                > > ("no, this is not what I was looking for") has been
                > > reduced.
                >
                > True, but if the people previously backing out after
                > one page are gone completely, AND "unique visitors"
                > are up, then those finding the site incorrectly are
                > being more than made up for by those who DID find what
                > they're looking for. (Which is a GOOD thing)
                >
                > No?

                Sure, it's a good thing, and I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. Higher
                hits per visitor means that the average visitor is finding the site more
                interesting.

                When I wrote "reduced," above, I meant reduced proportionately, not
                reduced in absolute numbers.

                Washtenaw County Commissioner, 4th District
                Ebay Page, http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/potifos/
                Mailing address: P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor MI 48106
              • michelle
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 23, 2002
                  Hi,
                  Interested in doing a show on Crusade Radio?
                  mel pyatt
                  education1@...
                  www.crusaderadio.com

                  > > > Hits per unique visitor increased from about 5.72 to
                  > > > about 8.34 -- I'm not sure why. Or perhaps,
                  > > > search engines have become more effective, and the
                  > > > number of people who back out after seeing one page
                  > > > ("no, this is not what I was looking for") has been
                  > > > reduced.
                  > >
                  > > True, but if the people previously backing out after
                  > > one page are gone completely, AND "unique visitors"
                  > > are up, then those finding the site incorrectly are
                  > > being more than made up for by those who DID find what
                  > > they're looking for. (Which is a GOOD thing)
                  > >
                  > > No?
                  >
                  > Sure, it's a good thing, and I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. Higher
                  > hits per visitor means that the average visitor is finding the site more
                  > interesting.
                  >
                  > When I wrote "reduced," above, I meant reduced proportionately, not
                  > reduced in absolute numbers.
                  >
                  > Larry
                  >
                  > ---
                  > Lawrence Kestenbaum, polygon@...
                  > Washtenaw County Commissioner, 4th District
                  > The Political Graveyard, http://politicalgraveyard.com
                  > Ebay Page, http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/potifos/
                  > Mailing address: P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor MI 48106
                  >

                  > Main web site address: http://politicalgraveyard.com
                  > Prototype address: http://www.potifos.com/TEST-VERSION

                • Gary Krause
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 23, 2002
                    --- Lawrence Kestenbaum <polygon@...> wrote:

                    > Sure, it's a good thing, and I didn't mean to
                    > suggest otherwise. Higher
                    > hits per visitor means that the average visitor is
                    > finding the site more interesting.
                    >
                    > When I wrote "reduced," above, I meant reduced
                    > proportionately, not
                    > reduced in absolute numbers.

                    I'm just kidding. It seemed like you were saying that
                    improved search engine effectivity meant that some
                    level of previous (non-interested) users - formerly
                    led to the site by mistake - were now being spared
                    their erroneous visits completely. Naturally, the
                    increased traffic - in the face of such a loss of X
                    number of uninterested users - was especially welcome.

                    Gary

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 27, 2002
                      Today's issue of PARADE magazine, in "Walter Scott's Personality Parade"
                      on the inside front cover, features a reference to The Political
                      Graveyard. A paragraph about governors who were convicted of crimes
                      concludes as follows:

                      Sadly, this list just scratches the surface of political
                      improprieties. Readers with lots of time can visit
                      politicalgraveyard.com.

                      More than a dozen new folks have joined this list today. Welcome!

                      Washtenaw County Commissioner, 4th District
                      Ebay Page, http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/potifos/
                      Mailing address: P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor MI 48106
                    • Noel Parmentel
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 27, 2002
                        >From: Lawrence Kestenbaum <polygon@...>
                        >To: political-graveyard@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: [political-graveyard] Parade magazine
                        >Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 17:56:41 -0500 (EST)
                        >

                        >Today's issue of PARADE magazine, in "Walter Scott's Personality Parade"
                        >on the inside front cover, features a reference to The Political
                        >Graveyard. A paragraph about governors who were convicted of crimes
                        >concludes as follows:
                        >
                        > Sadly, this list just scratches the surface of political
                        > improprieties. Readers with lots of time can visit
                        > politicalgraveyard.com.
                        >
                        >More than a dozen new folks have joined this list today. Welcome!

                        Larry.
                        Is there a similar list for Members of Congress ? Thanx.
                        Best / Noel E. Parmentel jr [ parmentel@... ]

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 28, 2002
                          On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Noel Parmentel wrote:

                          > Larry.
                          > Is there a similar list for Members of Congress ? Thanx.
                          > Best / Noel E. Parmentel jr [ parmentel@... ]

                          The Political Graveyard web site includes everyone who ever served in
                          Congress (a few recent exceptions, but that will be remedied soon).

                          As to an email list specifically about Congress -- there probably is one
                          (or more), but I haven't come across it.

                        • bealdawg@arches.uga.edu
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 28, 2002
                            Larry: I guess when you say "that will be remedied soon," you mean that
                            the website will be getting an update soon. Do you know approximately
                            when that will be?
                            Andrew Beal
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 28, 2002
                              On Mon, 28 Jan 2002 bealdawg@... wrote:

                              > Larry: I guess when you say "that will be remedied soon," you mean that
                              > the website will be getting an update soon. Do you know approximately
                              > when that will be?
                              > Andrew Beal

                              Yes, I want to do a new version of the site as soon as possible. There
                              are thousands of new and corrected records (the new total will be over
                              97,000), and a number of new features coming.

                              However, preparing for and generating the new pages (which always has to
                              be done twice), checking them, compressing them, uploading them, deleting
                              the old pages, uncompressing and renaming the new pages, is a more than
                              twelve hour process if all goes well. Scheduling that is not easy. As a
                              practical matter, I need to take a day or two off work.

                              On evenings and weekends, of course, and on Fridays at home, I have a
                              3-year-old daughter who needs a lot of attention, and who, though
                              wonderful in every other way, never naps during the day, and almost
                              invariably refuses to go to sleep at night until her parents (my wife and
                              I) are exhausted.

                              Moreover, I have not completely finished with some programming fixes which
                              need to be completed before I can begin the update.

                              And unfortunately, the computer I have always used to actually generate
                              the pages and run the update has developed a severe problem with its
                              operating system (several paragraphs of ranting and raving deleted).

                              I have been running the database on a notebook computer, which is fine in
                              many ways, but it doesn't have enough disk space for all the files I need
                              to generate for the web site.

                              I would have put up the new version around New Year's Day if it hadn't
                              been for these issues.

                              So -- sorry about all this whining. I am working on it. My current goal
                              is to have the new version up by mid-February, before my tonsillectomy.

                              In the meantime, astonishing numbers of new people have been flooding into
                              this email list -- membership stands at over 200 now. Welcome to all!

                              Washtenaw County Commissioner, 4th District
                              Ebay Page, http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/potifos/
                              Mailing address: P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor MI 48106
                            • Florence Mattersdorfer
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 29, 2002
                                thre is. I get the list everytime I sign certain petitions. I don't knoow where I have it filed. Will look for it. If Iget petition with that list atached, I will post it.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 29, 2002
                                  >From: Florence Mattersdorfer <surfdancer@...>
                                  >To: political-graveyard@yahoogroups.com,
                                  >political-graveyard@yahoogroups.com
                                  >Subject: Re: [political-graveyard] Parade magazine
                                  >Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:18:24 -0500
                                  >

                                  >thre is. I get the list everytime I sign certain petitions. I don't knoow
                                  >where I have it filed. Will look for it. If Iget petition with that list
                                  >atached, I will post it.
                                  > 1/28/02 8:58:45 PM, Lawrence Kestenbaum <polygon@...> wrote:

                                  Thanx.As noted,trying to find a "master"list of ALL members of Congress who
                                  sought or accepted campaign $$ from Enron during last decade.

                                  Best / Noel

                                • Carol Khare
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 29, 2002
                                    You can go to www.tray.com and search by donor name. It's an easy site to