RE: [political-graveyard] Tennessee Captiol. . .

  • lsmcn@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2001
      Have you heard the story about the TN state capitol's architect? His name was Strickland. He died during the construction of this massive greek revival building. When died, shortly before the building was completed, he was entombed withing the massive stone walls. I'm waiting for the day that he is accidentally exhumed. Something like this actually happened in Raliegh, NC. Reverend John Ravenscroft, Bishop of NC is buried beneath the altar of Christ Episcopal Church in Raleigh. He died during his term in the 1860's. In 1990, my father was rector of this large parish, and a massive renovation project was undertaken. Several weeks into the project, some of the contractors ran into Dad's office, stark white. They had removed part of the marble floor that made up the altar, and in the process had partially unearthed the remains of Bishop Ravenscroft. Apparently, the church sexton had forgotten to tell the foreman that a body was indeed buried under taht altar. :-) (Sorry for the digression, I like that story.)