Burwell Bassett 1764-1841

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 28, 2001
      Lawrence,

      Burwell Bassett (1764-1841) is a nephew to Martha Dandridge Custis
      Washington, a 1st cousin to Pres. William Henry Harrison and 1st
      cousin twice removed to Pres. Benjamin Harrison.

      Matt
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 6, 2001
        Horatio Seymour, governor of New York, Democratic presidential nominee in
        1868, is practically emblematic of the Democratic Party in New York State
        in the mid-19th century.

        Roscoe Conkling, U.S. Senator from New York, powerful Republican boss.
        When, in 1881, President Garfield appointed a collector of the Port of New
        York who wasn't under Conkling's control, he resigned from the Senate in
        protest.

        Both of them were from Utica, but I never thought the two had any more in
        common than that.

        But now I read (an offhend mention in Seymour's DAB entry) that the two
        were brothers-in-law!

        Can this be true?

        I see that Conkling did marry a woman with the surname Seymour. Was this
        Horatio's sister?

        Further, this link had political implications. Supposedly, Conkling was
        denied a seat on the commission to resolve the 1876 election because it
        was feared that his brother-in-law Seymour might influence him.

        I'd be interested in further information to confirm or disconfirm this.

        Larry

        P.S. Today is Election Day in many places -- don't forget to vote!

        Washtenaw County Commissioner, 4th District
        Ebay Page, http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/potifos/
        Mailing address: P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor MI 48106
      • hbremmer@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 6, 2001
          Biographies of Notable Americans 1904
          Conkling married Julia, daughter of Henry Seymour and sister of Horatio
          Seymour, Governor of New York on June 25, 1855

          Helen Bremmer
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 7, 2001
            I have run the traffic counts for September and October, and I'm surprised
            by a number of things.

            First of all, the log autodeleter (new system again) surprised me and
            killed the logs from September 18 to 22, so that data is lost.

            Second, I thought traffic to the site probably dropped to almost nothing
            on September 11 and the following days. Well, it did drop, but not as far
            as I expected. About 49,000 hits on September 10, down to 39,000 on
            September 11, and around 33,000 on September 12. Back up again in
            succeeding days.

            Third, I thought that, with the September 11 catastrophe and five days of
            missing data, September's recorded total hits would be below a million.
            Wrong again: it came to 1,032,951.

            Fourth, I thought that the traffic slowdown would last into October. But
            October 2001 was probably the site's busiest month ever. At least, it was
            the busiest month in 2000-2001. Over 1.5 million file hits, and around
            164,000 visits.

            You can see all the details at
            http://politicalgraveyard.com/stats-2001.html

            I guess these numbers show that the web site continues to be useful to
            people in the post-September-11 world.

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 7, 2001
              Believe me Larry. I use your site quite often looking for more
              political connections and data on those people who are connected to
              me.
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 8, 2001
                On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Matt wrote:

                > Believe me Larry. I use your site quite often looking for more
                > political connections and data on those people who are connected to
                > me.

                I appreciate it, and I can see from the statistics that there are many
                others.

                I have often thought that another vastly better web site would make the
                Political Graveyard obsolete -- essentially what Google did to Altavista.

                When Findagrave.com came along, for example, I would have scrapped the
                site completely, if Jim Tipton (Findagrave's creator) hadn't persuaded me
                to continue.

                The Biographical Directory of the U.S. Congress (a federal document) was
                the original main source of my data; when I heard that Congress was going
                to put its entire text on the Web, I thought the jig was up for The
                Political Graveyard. But the bioguide.congress.gov site, when it finally
                came online, became more a helpful adjunct to my site than a competitor: I
                index it better than they do.

                As January 1, 2000 approached, some of my friends were stockpiling food
                and fuel for the expected total breakdown of computer systems and possible
                arrival of TEOTWAWKI (a once widely used acronym for "The End Of The World
                As We Know It"). I wondered how much the web site was going to matter
                next to basic issues like keeping warm and getting enough to eat.

                This time, we really do have a major national crisis which has reordered a
                lot of priorities, and naturally I wonder about the relevance of my
                project in the new environment. The statistics for October suggest that I
                have nothing to worry about.

                Moreover, it actually has been a while since I got one of those sneering
                emails about the website saying "Get a life! Why are you wasting your
                time posting all this crap?" I used to get those all the time, but they
                have apparently stopped. It's like suddenly realizing that your headache
                is gone. I guess with the growth of the Web, people who like to write
                messages like that have found other sites to ridicule. Or, perhaps, they
                themselves have found better things to do than find fault.

                Washtenaw County Commissioner, 4th District
                Ebay Page, http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/potifos/
                Mailing address: P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor MI 48106
              • Gary Krause
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 9, 2001
                  --- Lawrence Kestenbaum <polygon@...> wrote:

                  > I have often thought that another vastly better web
                  > site would make the Political Graveyard obsolete --
                  > essentially what Google did to Altavista.
                  >
                  > When Findagrave.com came along, for example, I would
                  > have scrapped the site completely, if Jim Tipton
                  > (Findagrave's creator) hadn't persuaded me to
                  > continue.

                  Findagrave, while being more comprehensive in that
                  EVERY grave is eligible for inclusion, depends mainly
                  on individual contributors of a few locations each.
                  That site certainly has a role to play, but IMO a very
                  different one from yours.

                  > The Biographical Directory of the U.S. Congress (a
                  > federal document) was the original main source of my

                  > data; when I heard that Congress was going to put
                  its
                  > entire text on the Web, I thought the jig was up for

                  > The Political Graveyard. But the
                  > bioguide.congress.gov site, when it finally came
                  > online, became more a helpful adjunct to my site
                  than
                  > a competitor: I index it better than they do.

                  > This time, we really do have a major national crisis
                  > which has reordered a lot of priorities, and
                  naturally
                  > I wonder about the relevance of my project in the
                  new
                  > environment. The statistics for October suggest
                  that
                  > I have nothing to worry about.

                  If nothing else, the fact that the congressional
                  guide's site operators come to YOU for info should be
                  proof enough of the value of your work. To say nothing
                  of the numerous libraries, schools, and government
                  agencies that link to your site..... I know it
                  probably seems far off to you (as they say, the more
                  you learn, the more you realize how much you DON'T
                  know), but eventually your little site could become
                  easily the most comprehensive guide to American
                  political history on the internet. THAT'S an
                  accomplishment.

                  Keep it up!!

                  Gary Krause

                  Find a job, post your resume.