Re: [political-graveyard] Re: Leonard Farbstein

  • marc furstenberg
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 18, 2001
      As to the NY Times printing a tardy obit I must report
      that they did so for the film director/producer/writer
      Andrew Stone whose death was a virtual secret for more
      than a year before the Times got wind of it. British
      papers often wait a week or more before printing an
      obit sometimes written by someone who knew the
      deceased rather than take out one kept in cold
      storage, so to speak. recently they had a first wife
      (of three) write an obit and then battling obits about
      a woman who started an organization around allergy
      sufferers or alleged allergy sufferers depending on
      whom you agreed with.
      Furstenberg

      http://personals.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 18, 2001
        Well, the author of "Congressional Minyan" has written back to say that
        he's not so sure about Congressman Leonard Farbstein still being alive in
        1999.

        And that brings us back to the SSDI record (for a "Leonard Farbstein" who
        may or may not be the Congressman). Most likely, there is a corresponding
        death certificate on file in New York City. And that death certificate
        would contain identifying information which would lay this controversy to
        rest.

        Is there anyone on this list in the metropolitan New York area who would
        be willing to go to the city's vital records office and look up a 1993
        death certificate for Leonard Farbstein? Let me know.

        The folks at bioguide.congress.gov are interested too.

        Washtenaw County Commissioner, 4th District
        Ebay Page, http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/potifos/
        Mailing address: P.O. Box 2563, Ann Arbor MI 48106
      • rbb@baradv.on.ca
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 18, 2001
          I looked up Mr. Farbstein on the Dow Jones database today which includes
          abstracts of the New York Times articles back to the early 1970's. Only
          seven mentions of him in the database. Most to do with the death of Bella
          Abzug and a profile of him with other retiring congressmen in 1971.
          Lawrence may have been right that the media wasn't made aware of his death.
          Take care
          RWB
        • Gary Krause
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 18, 2001
            --- Lawrence Kestenbaum <polygon@...> wrote:

            > The bleak fact is that if you live into your 90s,
            > all your contemporaries
            > and associates are gone. If your descendants don't
            > want to publicize your
            > passing, how will the newspapers know?

            Plus, when someone reaches that age, it is often felt
            that most of the people who knew them can be easily
            reached through personal contact or quick calls to
            local organizations where they were known; calling a
            newspaper to place a notice is thought to be
            unnecessary. Calling a few relatives and close friends
            is felt to be enough notice.

            > I mean, say we find out FOR SURE that Leonard
            > Farbstein died in September
            > of last year. Would the Times run an obit now? I
            > think not.

            To say nothing of if he died in '93. It sounds like a
            Saturday Night Live sketch, as when Chevy Chase used
            to announce that General Franco was still dead. (There
            was a "Weekend Update" moment a few years ago where
            the anchor reported the 1960 death of actor Ward Bond,
            since the anchor had just learned of it. Would this
            work with Farbstein?)

            One story I have: I used to work in a position where I
            helped file citations from entertainment industry
            publications; at the end of one year, going through
            the year's deaths to help a researcher, I noticed an
            obit in the Hollywood Reporter for a Canadian actor
            who had once been Oscar-nominated; he had died in
            Europe, I believe, and hadn't done a lot of film work,
            or much of anything in recent years. The Reporter obit
            didn't even run until a few weeks after his death, as
            it wasn't announced. I tried to find the corresponding
            obit in Daily Variety, but ultimately discovered that
            they never ran one. Now, understand that Variety will
            run obits for nearly anyone remotely conneceted with
            entertainment, from longtime extras to studio
            carpenters to multimedia company attorneys. For them
            to not run an obit for an Oscar-nominated actor with a
            long stage career, they couldn't POSSIBLY have known
            about it until they felt it was no use reporting.

            Gary Krause
            scgaryk@...

            http://personals.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 20, 2001
              Friends,
              I assume former U.S. House member Leonard Farbstein
              is very much alive.The Congressional Directory you can
              access through the The Political Graveyard web site I
              find is quickly updated.If he was deceased it would
              almost certainly would have been noted.

              =====
              NOTE:I don't have a computer at home, it may take awhile for me to respond.

              http://personals.yahoo.com
            • Gary Krause
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 20, 2001
                Don't know if you saw the note I posted a few days
                ago, but the Congressional website is actually pretty
                slow about it sometimes; as I noted, it took them
                about 7 years to note the well-reported death of Glenn
                Anderson.

                Gary Krause
                scgaryk@...

                --- Scott Bill Hirst <scottbillhirst@...> wrote:
                > Friends,
                > I assume former U.S. House member Leonard Farbstein
                > is very much alive.The Congressional Directory you
                > can
                > access through the The Political Graveyard web site
                > find is quickly updated.If he was deceased it would
                > almost certainly would have been noted.
                > Regards,
                > Scott Bill Hirst

                http://personals.yahoo.com
              • "D.J." Jones
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 20, 2001
                  Gary Krause wrote:
                  > Don't know if you saw the note I posted a few days
                  > ago, but the Congressional website is actually pretty
                  > slow about it sometimes; as I noted, it took them
                  > about 7 years to note the well-reported death of Glenn
                  > Anderson.

                  It is often, indeed, very slow. And I have found at least two glaring
                  errors that they still have yet to correct. They list the prominent
                  fmr. Rep & Cabinet Sec'y Edward Rell Madigan (who was also in the
                  legendary race against Newt Gingrich a decade ago for the Minority
                  Whip position) as still living. He died on 12/07/1994 just a month
                  after the GOP won control of the House (so that's the 7 years thing
                  like Rep. Anderson), and the single worst entry is the one of NE Rep.
                  Glenn Cunningham. Despite my having informed them, he is still listed
                  as having died in 1988. Cunningham is not dead. I wrote to him about
                  3 or 4 years ago and he wrote me a nice note about how he still
                  enjoyed getting out on the links (at the age of 86). I'd hate to have
                  to write the gentleman back to tell him they won't correct this
                  aggregious error and have him personally contact them to say he is
                  still amongst the living... Dreadful !

                  Regards,
                  Davy Jones