Chodowski family in Krone

  • Elizabeth Estbergs
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 12, 2006
      In the 1891 English census my relatives living in Sheffield stated they were born in Crone, Germany. There are two places this could the one now called Koronowo previously known as Krone, Crone an der Brahe : Bydgoszcz: 53°19' 17°57' or the one now called Walcz previously known as Deutsch Krone: Koszalin 53°16' 16°28' .

      As they were Jewish, is there a way of determining which town they are referring to?

      I presume they refer to Koronowo but as I have seen that referred to as Polnisch Krone it is a bit open ended.

      Elizabeth

    • Joan Zaniskey
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 12, 2006
        Eliizabeth,
        Wish I could give some help. My 1900 and prior Polish family, Cituks and
        Zaniewskis were from the eastern Poland/Russian border region of the old
        Suwalki province. The name of my mother's village
        was Bogaty, hence the reason your post was a hit on my e mail. Keep
        searching. I've been at it for five years. Made progress but I doubt I'll
        find much more, since this area of Poland was twice devasted by WW I and WW
        II. Good luck.
        Joan Zaniskey