You never know who is your cousin - the world is so small

  • Lucyna Artymiuk
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2006
      Last night I spoke for the first time with my newly acquired second cousin Andrzej Kosciuszkiewicz and his wife Irena. About a month or two ago I developed contact with their daughter Rita.

      They live in norther Poland - the Mazury (what once was Eastern Prussia). Irena is a doctor and she was telling me how a few months ago she was attending a medical conference in Olsztyn. She was introduced by name to a group of local medical practioners. Afterwards one of them (a woman) approached her and said that her grandmother was also a Kosciuszkiewicz (her maiden name) but was now deceased. Irena asked where the young womans family came from - the answer Sarny. The same place were our Kosciuszkiewicz's came from. However, the young woman continued, her grandmother moved to Warszawa and subsequently settled in Olsztyn.

      Irena was intrigued and was hoping to follow up on this eventually - but never did.

      Yesterday, in our telephone conversation I was able to explain to Irena who this young woman was and her relationship with our Kosciuszkiewiczs. The young woman was Joasia - our mutual second cousin. Joasia's grandmother Wilhelmina, my grandmother Zosia and Andrzej's grandfather Alfons were all siblings. Joasia is a medical doctor living in Olsztyn and indeed her grandmother did move to Warszawa from Sarny.

      So Irena by sheer luck bumped into her cousin in law.

      Irena today is going to ring up Joasia and introduced herself properly - AS FAMILY.

      Isnt this a small world - you may be walking up the main street of Warszawa and pass by a family member without even knowing it.

      Lucyna