I am a descendant of Sibiraks

  • Lucyna Artymiuk
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2006
      I really should have listened more to my father when he was alive.

      I remember him saying that my great grandmother (Marianna Golach) perished during the war but i never was able to put the information into any context.

      I was just speaking with my fathers cousin on Skype. Last week he told me in what village my great grandfather (Jan Golach) was buried. I always thought it was Grudziadz (Pomorze) because 15 years ago i visited his grave when visiting my great aunt. Only on the weekend when speaking to my fathers cousin did I find out that it was Dragacz, a village on the other side of the Wisla from Grudziadz. Which is a great coincidence ---- I am teaching Polish to a lady whose father was born in Dragacz and she has been telling me all her efforts in uncovering family histories and secrets.

      When my cousin told me that it was Dragacz where great grandfather was buried - on Monday I sent an email to the local authorities requesting a copy of my great grandfathers death certificate. And amazingly in two days - I got an email early this morning from Dragacz with a scanned copy of great grandfathers death certificate.

      This intrigued me - where was my great grandmother buried? So half an hour ago I spoke with my cousin on Skype and discovered the following. My paternal grandmothers parents originally lived in a village of Komarowka Podlaska near Radzyn Podlaski and then in the 1920s they moved, my great grandparents and their daughters purchased a farm near Kamieniec Litewski near Brzesc (which is now Bialorus).

      It appears that when the Soviets were deporting Poles to Siberia, some of the deportees were from my family - including my great grandmother and my grandmothers sibilings. My great grandmother died in Siberia (she would have been in her late 60s or early 70s) or whatever godforesaken corner of the Soviet Union it was. My great grandfather together with other Poles was ethnically cleansed from the eastern borderlands and together with whatever remained of the family settled in Wroclaw, Bydgoszcz and Grudziadz (the lands recovered from the Germans). My great granddfather died at the age of 84.

      So now I know why I have so much affinity with the Sibirak experience. It was just because my godmother was a Sibiraczka. My own great grandmother was a victim of the Soviets and we dont know where she was sent or where she died.

      Lucyna