korekta do faktury

  • Maciej Majer
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 20, 2003
      Czy 'korekta faktury' mo�e by� 'invoice adjustment'?

      Maciek
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 20, 2003
        I'd say so.

        Paul W. Merriam, Fairfax, Va
        pmerriam@...

        In a message dated 12/20/2003 5:39:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        maciekmajer@... writes:

        << Czy 'korekta faktury' mo¿e byæ 'invoice adjustment'?

      • Marek Czerski
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 20, 2003
          How about the "perception" of formal EUEnglish terms: "invoice adjustment"
          and "corrected invoice" on the other side of the "pond"? In EUEnglish the
          first term is used in order to adjust the invoiced sum according to certain
          "external conditions" (admendment of custom tariffs, foreign currency rate
          of exchange, etc.), whilst "corrected invoice" is an invoice whereby
          apparent errors found in the original invoice are rectified.

          (mc)

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 20, 2003
            We don't have this distinction. However, an "invoice adjustment" here is a
            change to the invoice whereas a "corrected invoice" is the result of the
            change. I used to call them "zmiana do faktury" and "zmieniona faktura"
            respectively. Which one is the "korekta do faktury"? And are my two terms proper Polish?

            Paul W. Merriam, Fairfax, VA
            pmerriam@...

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 20, 2003
              We don't have this distinction. However, an "invoice adjustment" here is a
              change to the invoice whereas a "corrected invoice" is the result of the
              change.
              ---
              I need to explain something. I was translating my friend's letter and he'd used this wording "korekta do faktury", but what he meant actually was "faktura korygujaca", translated as "corrected invoice".

              But in the meantime, I found another term, "adjusting invoice". Google search brings some positive results, but I'd like to ask for your opinion about it.

              Maciek

            • pmerriam@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 20, 2003
                I understand faktura korygujaca to mean basically "There was something wrong
                with the old invoice, so please ignore it and pay this one instead." Assuming
                I understood it right, I'd call that a "superseding invoice" if there's some
                indication on the invoice to identify the superseded one.

                Paul W. Merriam, Fairfax, VA
                pmerriam@...

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 20, 2003
                  I understand faktura korygujaca to mean basically "There was something wrong
                  with the old invoice, so please ignore it and pay this one instead." Assuming
                  I understood it right, I'd call that a "superseding invoice" if there's some
                  indication on the invoice to identify the superseded one.
                  --------
                  Basicaly yes, but there may be different mistakes, not only in amounts given. For example, in the addresses, or ID number of a company, etc. Any such amendments, including corrections of any amounts, also arising from wrong calculations, are called 'korekta' in Poland. There must be an indication on a faktura korygujaca that it refers to the original invoice with a mistake.

                  Now, another point is that Google doesn't give any record of your suggested term "superseding invoice".

                  Maciek

                • pmerriam@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 20, 2003
                    Our laws about invoicing are a lot less explicit than yours. Generally, such
                    matters are up to the discretion of the companies involved. So you're
                    unlikely to find an explicit term in our legislation.

                    That said, "adjusting invoice" sounds odd to me. I could see it being called
                    an "adjustment to invoice" if it indicates a change in amount or goods or
                    services sold. (If the original invoice said that you purchased 100 widgits and
                    billed you for them when in fact you purchased 10, am I right in assuming that
                    would be handled on a "korekta"?) Matters such as using the wrong address
                    would be handled by a cover letter, if at all. It's not uncommon for small
                    companies to move and use their old invoice stock until they run out (perhaps
                    with the old address crossed out and the new one rubber stamped). "Corrected
                    invoice" sounds fine too.

                    Paul W. Merriam, Fairfax, VA
                    pmerriam@...

                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 20, 2003
                      Our laws about invoicing are a lot less explicit than yours.
                      ---
                      Yes, this is your advantage in America. We can't cross out anything on an invoice and rubber stamp and need to make out a corrected invoice instead. So, I think I'll stick to the term suggested by Marek Czerski, which also sounds fine to you.

                      But I actually made one mistake. These minor errors as for addresses, etc. are corrected by a nota korygujaca (correcting note? or cover letter?), as I've just found out. Major errors, concerning a number of goods, amounts, and any wrong calculations, have to be corrected by a corrected invoice.

                      Thank you

                      Maciek

                    • pmerriam@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 20, 2003
                        I'd call this "nota korygujaca" a cover letter or addendum depending on the
                        format. If this piece of paper says that something is attached, I'd call it a
                        cover letter. Otherwise, I'd call it an addendum.

                        Paul W. Merriam, Fairfax, VA
                        pmerriam@...