Floods in Poland - Total BBC News Blackout

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 18, 2010
      The following email may be of interest to members:

      From: Wiktor Moszczynski
      Date: 25 May 2010 06:42
      Subject: Floods in Poland - Total News Blackout
      To: pov @ bbc.co.uk

      To Editor
      Points of View,

      Dear Sir,
      Can you please tell me why there is such a total news blackout in the BBC on the floods in Central Europe and particularly in Poland. Cities and villages throughout the Vistula and Oder river basins have been submerged following heavy rains last week. 15 people have been drowned as the high water wave proceeds northwards to the river outlets in the Baltic Sea. Hospitals and schools have been evacuated and submerged. Hundreds of square miles of agricultural land have been destroyed while Poland awaits the health epidemic that follows the inevitable poisoning of wells and river water by drowned animals. It is the worst flood in Poland since 1934 in terms of the area that it has covered. Poles in the UK are seeking to set up a charity appeal for the victims but British public opinion is totally ignorant of the tragedy and so deaf to any appeal. There has been plenty of excellent Polish and German TV footage of the floods and destruction, so why is BBC so silent?
      Yours sincerely,
      Wiktor Moszczynski
      author "Hello I'm Your Polish Neighbour"
    • Hugh Jordan
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 19, 2010
        While Poland is of particular interest to us, I think we should
        recognise that the BBC is much more orientated towards the Atlantic
        than towards Europe as a whole.

        You would be hard pushed to know, if the BBC is your only source,
        that recent elections in Belgium have brought the country to the
        verge of splitting.

        As you say, Poland is experiencing yet more life-threateing
        floods. I doubt if a BBC watcher / listener would know.

        A murderer was executed in Utah yesterday, and it made very news bulletin.

        Hugh

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 20, 2010
          --- In PiGB, Hugh Jordan wrote:
          > While Poland is of particular interest to us,
          > I think we should recognise that the BBC
          > is much more orientated towards the Atlantic
          > than towards Europe as a whole.

          Point taken.

          It is interesting to note that BBC TV News covered floods
          in Arkansas and floods in Southern France during the last
          week or so.

          As I believe some BBC news programming is also broadcast
          on the PBS TV network in the US, it is not surprising
          there is a large amount of coverage of stories relevant
          to a North American audience. Note I understand PBS
          (Public Broadcasting Service) is a kind of a U.S.
          equivalent of the BBC.