The Wooden Bowl-A story about loving the unlovable

  • Diana Hickman
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2004
      This story teaches a great lesson about having
      patience and love toward the harder to love people we
      meet in life. It hits home with me because I have a 22
      yr old son with Autism who has to be helped with
      ADLs(Activities of Daily Living)

      The Wooden Bowl

      A frail old man went to live with his son,
      daughter-in-law, and four year old grandson. The old
      man's hands trembled, his eyesight was blurred, and
      his step faltered. The family ate together at the
      table. But the elderly grandfather's shaky hands and
      failing sight made eating difficult. Peas rolled off
      his spoon onto the floor. When he grasped the glass,
      milk spilled on the tablecloth.

      The son and daughter-in-law became irritated with the
      mess. We must do something about Grandfather, " said
      the son. I've had enough of his spilled milk, noisy
      eating, and food on the floor. So the husband and wife
      set a small table in the corner. There, Grandfather
      ate alone while the rest of the family enjoyed dinner.

      Since Grandfather had broken a dish or two, his food
      was served in a wooden bowl. When the family glanced
      in Grandfather's direction, sometime he had a tear in
      his eye as he sat alone. Still, the only words the
      couple had for him were sharp admonitions when he
      dropped a fork or spilled food.

      The four year old watched it all in silence. One
      evening before supper, the father noticed his son
      playing with wood scraps on the floor. He asked the
      child sweetly, "What are you making?" Just as sweetly,
      the boy responded, "Oh, I am making a little bowl for
      you and Mama to eat your food when I grow up." The
      four year old smiled and went back to work. The words
      so struck the parents that they were speechless. Then
      tears started to stream down their cheeks. Though no
      word was spoken, both knew what must be done.

      That evening the husband took Grandfather's hand and
      gently led him back to the family table. For the
      remainder of his days he ate every meal with the
      family. And for some reason, neither husband nor wife
      seemed to care any longer when a fork was dropped,
      milk spilled, or the tablecloth soiled.

      On a positive note:
      I've learned that, no matter what happens how bad it
      seems today, life does go on, and it will be better
      I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by
      the way he/she handles three things: a rainy day, lost
      luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights.
      I've learned that, regardless of your relationship
      with your parents, you'll miss them when they're gone
      from your life.
      I've learned that making a "living" is not the same
      thing as making a "life."
      I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second
      I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a
      catcher's mitt on both hands. You need to be able to
      throw something back.
      I've learned that if you pursue happiness, it will
      elude you. But, if you focus on your family, your
      friends, the needs of others, your work and doing the
      very best you can, happiness will find you.
      I've learned that whenever I decide something with an
      open heart, I usually make the right decision.
      I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have
      to be one.
      I've learned that every day, you should reach out and
      touch someone. People love that human touch, holding
      hands, a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back.
      I've learned that I still have a lot to learn.

      My Website: http://www.geocities.com/di777h

      For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future.
      Jeremiah 29:11