"Money, the Answer to Everything" by Joseph Y. Lee

  • josephylee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2005
      Money, the Answer to Everything
      (Ecclesiastes 10:19)
      Editorial #7 by Joseph Yosuk Lee

      When I was sharing my faith with a non-Christian
      student at UCI, he challenged me with this very
      difficult verse:

      Men prepare a meal for enjoyment, and wine makes
      life merry, and money is the answer to everything.
      Ecclesiastes 10:19 NASB

      When I first read this verse, I could not believe
      that it was the Word of God. I thought King Solomon
      must have been out of his mind! So, I prayed and did
      a lot of research on this verse. However, I could not
      figure out what the verse was trying to say even
      after having read the "Encyclopedia of Bible
      Difficulties" by Gleason L. Archer, "When Critics Ask"
      by Norman Geisler and Thomas Howe, and "Thru the Bible"
      by J. Vernon McGee. Even my pastors at Irvine could
      not give me a very satisfactory answer. After much
      thinking, I finally understood the meaning of the
      verse. The first part of the verse is saying that
      men eat so that they can satisfy their hunger. When
      their hunger is satisfied, they receive a lot of joy.
      Up to this point, there is no problem. The next part
      of the verse gives us a minor problem. It says,
      "...wine makes life merry,..." It did not say,
      “...[excessive use of] wine makes life merry,...”
      According to the Bible, drinking wine is not a sin.
      It states, however, that being drunk is a sin.
      (Galatians 5:21). Now, we have the tough part of
      the verse. It says, “...money is the answer to
      everything.” But 1 Timothy 6:10 says:

      "For the love of money is a root of all evil,..."

      So, do we have a contradiction? The answer is "no."
      Bible does not say that money is evil. It says that
      greed for money is evil. When the Bible says that
      money is the answer to everything, it is not saying
      "money is the [complete or perfect] answer to
      everything." If you read the entire Bible, you will
      see that Jesus is the complete or perfect answer to
      everything while the Bible implies that money is a
      [partial] answer to everything. Despite what 1 Timothy
      6:10 says, money has its importance in such things as
      building a church, feeding the homeless, paying the
      pastors' salary, providing the church with electricity
      and heating, and sending missionaries throughout the
      entire world. Although it is true that money cannot
      buy love, you need money to maintain a marriage. For
      example, you need money to pay the rent, to send your
      kids to college, and to buy your family clothes and
      food. Thus, money is needed for the survival of the
      family.

      Finally, although money can be used to glorify God,
      it can also be used for evil. This is what the Bible
      says:

      "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate
      the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to
      the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to
      the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God
      and money." Matthew 6:24 NIV

      Please note that the Bible does imply that you could be
      using money to glorify God. (1 Corinthians 10:31).
      Please see the Life Application Bible. Please forward
      this e-mail to your friends.

      Copyright - CHEMISTRY (CHristian E-mail MIniSTRY)
      E-mail: JosephYLee@...
      Website: http://www.josephylee.org

    • josephylee@aol.com