"My Mormon Encounter" by Joseph Y. Lee

  • josephylee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2005
      My Mormon Encounter
      by Joseph Yosuk Lee

      It was spring of 1995. I met two Mormons outside my apartment.
      They were witnessing to me and my Irvine Valley College friend.
      I showed them a lot of errors in the Book of Mormon, and I blew
      those Mormons away. They were shocked that I knew a lot about
      their errors and contradictions, and they suggested to me that
      I talked to Mr. Johnson [alias name], the lawyer of the Latter
      -Day Saints Institute. Mr. Johnson is the head honcho of the
      Mormon cult at Irvine. He read the Book of Mormon and the New
      Testament 50 times. He studied the Book of Mormon and the
      Bible eight hours a day, and I am going to present my
      insignificant amount of knowledge to him.

      I said, "Mr. Johnson, do you know that the Book of Mormon has
      thousands of errors?"

      He said, "Of course, and I also believe that the Bible has
      errors too. I do not believe that the Bible is inerrant. Even
      some evangelical don't believe that the Bible is inerrant. "

      "Then how do you know what the Book of Mormon said is the
      Word of God when you read it?"

      "I know that the Book of Mormon is the Word of God when
      Holy Spirit gives me a powerful and burning sensation in my
      bosom, and I knew at that time what the Book of Mormon said
      is true."

      "Mr. Johnson, I heard a voice, which claimed to be from God.
      The voice said that I will win three Noble Prizes in physics
      and that I will marry a beautiful Korean Christian wife, who
      is a virgin. I also had a powerful and burning sensation in
      my bosom and throughout my body from a mysterious force, and
      I concluded that it is not from God. Does it occur to you
      that Joseph Smith and I never heard Gods voice but actually
      heard a voice from a demon?"

      "Well, Joseph Smith heard Gods voice and saw God. You claimed
      to hear Gods voice but didn't actually see him."

      "Did the Bible say that anyone, who saw God, dies."

      "Moses saw God, and he did not die. How can you explain that
      error in the Bible?"

      "Well, if you read Hebrews 11:27, you will see that Moses
      experienced the invisible God and never actually saw God
      the Father."

      "Well, lets look at the translation from NIV and the New
      Jerusalem Bible. I want you to know the New Jerusalem Bible
      is a highly regarded translation of the Bible by most
      theologians. By the way, have you ever heard about the New
      Jerusalem Bible?"

      "No, and should I really hear about it?"

      "Why, of course. I just cant believe that your pastor kept
      you in the dark about the New Jerusalem Bible. The New
      Jerusalem Bible is considered to be a more superior translation
      compared to NIV. Well, lets see. If you read John 1:18, it
      said that no one can see God and live, but if you read the
      New Jerusalem Bible, it said that there is no way to translate
      it. So, they left it blank. Oh my goodness! If you look at
      another verse in the NIV Bible, it said that Moses saw God,
      who is invisible. On the other hand, the New Jerusalem Bible
      said that Moses saw God as if he were invisible. Now, you see
      a huge difference between both translations."

      "Wait a minute. I don't see any major differences about Moses
      seeing the invisible God."

      "Obviously, you are not an English major."

      Although Mr. Johnson insulted me, I was not angered by what he
      said to me. I can see that Mr. Johnson is an excellent debater
      and a scholar.

      "Joseph, I am telling you your Bible has errors."

      "Mr. Johnson, do you believe that Jesus is God?"

      "Yes, I do."

      "Then, how do you know that Jesus is God if the Bible has
      errors?"

      "Well, I know that Jesus is God through the second testimony
      of Jesus Christ through the Book of Mormon."

      "You said that the Book of Mormon has thousand of errors."

      "But they are grammatical errors."

      "Mr. Johnson, if there exist grammatical errors in the Book
      of Mormon and the Bible, then this implies that there exist
      errors in its doctrine."

      "Joseph. Do you remember what I tell you? I said that Holy
      Spirit gives me a powerful and burning sensation in my bosom.
      At that point, I know the Book of Mormon is true. The Book of
      Mormon has grammatical errors. It contains no doctrinal errors."

      "Well, I read some parts of the Book of Mormon, and it said
      that there exists a King Benjamin and Joseph Smith, later on,
      changed it saying that there exists a King Mosiah. I hardly
      call that a grammatical error. In fact, I considered it a
      factual and historical error."

      "So, do you really want to see the original writings of the
      1830 version of the Book of Mormon? I have it here in my office.
      We can read all of the grammatical errors together... Joseph.
      Joseph. I know all of your arguments. They are not new to me.
      I knew them all before you came to me. Try to present something
      new to me. Kent, [a brother in Christ friend], presented me with
      many good questions and observations about the Bible and Book of
      Mormon. Why cant you do the same?. I am telling you that you got
      to read the Book of Mormon."

      "I will think about it."

      "Then I will see you later."

      We shook hands, and we left. Later on, I called Mr. Johnson and
      left a message on his phone answering machine.

      "Mr. Johnson, if you want to talk to me again, it has to be in
      my terms. I am willing to talk to you at another time if you
      are willing to talk to me and to my pastor. I find you
      intelligent, but I really don't believe that you are a Christian
      or a Mormon. You and Tony are both alike when both you and Tony
      are intelligent. You believe that the Book of Mormon or the Bible
      has errors, and I am telling you. If there are some grammatical
      errors in the Bible or Book of Mormon, then there are errors in
      its doctrines. Whenever I talked to you, you talked like an atheist.
      If I hurt your feelings, I am sorry. May God be with you. Good-bye."

      The next day, Mr. Johnson called me back.

      "Joseph, you called me an atheist. I want to clarify that Pastor
      Chuck Smith thinks that there are errors in the Bible." [Please
      note that Pastor Chuck Smith does believe that the Bible is
      inerrant].

      "If he believes that there are errors in the Bible, then I guess he
      is not a Christian."

      "Are you saying that Chuck Smith is not a Christian?"

      "Mr. Johnson, I don't worship Chuck Smith as my god. He is only
      a human being."

      As I stun Mr. Johnson that I don't respect Pastor Chuck Smith, I
      said, "Mr. Johnson, Joseph Smiths and my experiences are not unique."

      "Joseph. I can see that you were devastated by what I have told you.
      You probably went to your pastor getting his emotional support from
      your lack of security in your faith."

      "Mr. Johnson."

      "Call me Richard."

      "I find you very rude."

      "Hold on for a moment. You called me and Pastor Chuck Smith an
      atheist."

      "Mr. Johnson, I have told you. If there are errors in the Book of
      Mormon, then there are errors in its doctrine."

      "Joseph. What have I told you?"

      "You told me that Joseph Smith saw God."

      "No. That's not it."

      "You told me that there are errors in the Bible."

      "No. That's not it. I told you that the Book of Mormon is true
      when Holy Spirit gives you a powerful and burning sensation
      in your bosom."

      "And I told you that I have the same experience and that it
      is not from God."

      "Well, obviously, you had a mental problem."

      When Mr. Johnson attacked my mental disability, I found him
      extremely ignorant about manic depressive illness. He was
      insensitive and rude.

      "Mr. Johnson, I find you very insulting. Not many Christians,
      whom I know, can tolerate your abuse and your rudeness."

      "Joseph. Read the Book of Mormon from start to finish. At least
      10 pages a day. If you read that fast, you will finish reading
      the Book of Mormon in two months."

      "Mr. Johnson. I do not read my Bible that much."

      "You have time to read the Book of Mormon. You read all of that
      anti-Mormon literature. Why cant you read the Book of Mormon for
      10 pages a day for two months?"

      "I am not a disciplined as you, Mr. Johnson."

      "Joseph, I am telling you. Read the Book of Mormon."

      "I think we have enough, Mr. Johnson. But if you like to talk to
      me and my pastor, I would be happy to do so."

      "I don't want to talk to your pastor. Joseph, read the Book of
      Mormon. You told all of your atheist friends to read the Bible.
      So, I am telling you to read the Bible."

      "Mr. Johnson. I believe that we have enough talk."

      "Ill see you later."

      I feel that I have lost the debate and that I failed to sway Mr.
      Johnson's views or to change his beliefs. However, I heard rumors
      from another Mormon that Mr. Johnson went through a divorce and,
      later on, was remarried to another woman. Please pray for him.

      Copyright - CHEMISTRY (CHristian E-mail MIniSTRY)
      E-mail - JosephYLee@..., Phone - (949) 725-9497 or (408) 935-8959

    • josephylee@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 23, 2006
        My Mormon Encounter
[...]

        "Joseph. Do you remember what I tell you? I said that Holy Spirit
        gives me a powerful and burning sensation in my bosom. At that

        E-mail: JosephYLee@..., Website: http://www.josephylee.org