Character: Key 1 - Information (Part 1)

  • Abdelmalek, Raymond J
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2005
      5 Keys To Effective Growth In Christlike Character

      Key 1: Information (Part 1)

      A. What is Character?

      1. A Character Quality Is A Usual Pattern
      of Moral Thinking, Speaking & Acting - A Habit.

      2. A Person's Character Is A Composite of
      Their Character Qualities.

      3. 49 Examples of Character Qualities.

      4. All 49 Qualities Are Qualities, or A
      Composite or Qualities, of The Lord Jesus Christ.

      To grow in these 49 qualities is to grow in godly, good or Christlike
      character (that is, in character qualities exhibited by Jesus Christ).

      B. How Is Character Developed?

      1. General Process.

      * A Timeless Maxim Conveys The Universal Truth:

      'Sow A Thought, Reap An Action.

      Sow An Action, Reap A Habit.

      Sow A Habit, Reap A Character.

      Sow A Character, Reap A Destiny'

      With every person, repeated actions form habits, which together form
      character, which impacts destiny.

      Actions include not only observable actions like speech and behavior,
      but internal actions like praying, planning, deciding, and controlling
      one's reactions to emotions.

      * The differences in people's conduct, character and destiny stem
      from differences in their daily moral choices.

      Example: A person's repeated practice of being late reinforces the
      character quality of tardiness. This character quality may reduce the
      opportunities available to the person in the future, since it conveys to
      others the ideas that this person is irresponsible, disorganized and not
      caring about others.

      * The process proceeds regardless of whether daily choices are made
      consciously or unconsciously, by contemplation or indifference, willing
      or unwilling, knowing or unknowing.

      * Each choice made throughout the day impacts and reinforces the
      direction of a person's life - towards Christ likeness or away from it.

      2. The Bible Confirms This General Process.

      * The goal is Christ likeness in character and conduct, which
      impacts the destiny of the Christian. "But reject profane and old wives'
      fables, and exercise yourself toward godliness. For bodily exercise
      profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having
      promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come." (1
      Timothy 4:7-8)

      * Right choices and actions lead to right habits which lead to right
      character. Right choices and actions are those conforming to god's
      teachings. "Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves
      to obey, you are that one's slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading
      to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness?" "I speak in human
      terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented
      your members as slaves of uncleanness, and of lawlessness leading to
      more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves of righteousness
      for holiness." (Romans 6:16, 19)

      * These choices and actions stem from thoughts that conform to God's
      word. "And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the
      renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and
      acceptable and perfect will of God." "Finally, brethren, whatever things
      are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever
      things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good
      report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything
      praiseworthy--meditate on these things." (Romans 12:2; Philippians 4:8.)

      In short, we grow in Christ likeness by making our choices and actions
      in accord with God's word. Since the 49 character qualities are
      qualities of Jesus Christ, we grow in Christ likeness by developing
      those qualities.

      * The Bible also shows the importance of the daily moral choice to
      include God in the process, asking for his help and committing to his
      direction.

      * "But reject profane and old wives' fables, and exercise
      yourself toward godliness. For bodily exercise profits a little, but
      godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that
      now is and of that which is to come." (1 Timothy 4:7-8)

      * "Be holy, for I am holy." (1 Peter 1:16)

      * "But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the
      glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory
      to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord." (2 Corinthians 3:18)

      * "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
      (Philippians 4:13)

      3. Observations About This Universal Process.

      * This process goes on, with or without our intentionality. With the
      intentionality of making right daily decisions it can lead to Christ
      likeness.

      * Controlling and directing the process is a process of intentional
      training.

      * Progress depends on both time and speed.

      * The distance a person grows towards Christlike character depends
      both on time and the speed with which he or she learns God's truths and
      integrates obedience to them (including prayer) into everyday life.

      May the grace of God be with you in everything you do.

      Servant of Christ,
      Ray Abdelmalek
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ChristlikeCharacter/

      TO SUBSCRIBE:

      ChristlikeCharacter-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      <mailto:ChristlikeCharacter-subscribe@yahoogroups.com>

      "Life is an opportunity to serve, love, and forgive as God, himself, has
      done for us."