"Star Trek" by Joseph Y. Lee

  • josephylee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2004
      Star Trek
      By Joseph Y. Lee

      I could not help talking about the Bible and some of the Star Trek movies.
      The producers of Star Trek really tried to portray their understanding of God in
      Star Trek II, III, and V, and I wanted to respond to some of their accurate
      and inaccurate portrayals of God. Even though I loved many Star Trek episodes
      on TV and on the big screens, I did notice some anti-God themes in "Star Trek
      V: The Final Frontier" while "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock" was a false
      portrayal foreshadowing the resurrection of Spock with the resurrection of
      Christ. I have to give the producers of Star Trek some credit for making "Star
      Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn." I somehow, as a Christian, was able to appreciate
      Star Trek II when Spock made the ultimate sacrifice by saving the crew of the
      Enterprise.

      Star Trek II was a great movie. It is not known for its special effects, but
      for its great script. It has some themes that many Christians could
      appreciate. I hope that I am not giving the plot away. In summary of the movie, Spock
      was a type of Christ. Yeah! Really! When Christ died on the cross, He saved the
      church throughout the world. When Kahn, Captain Kirk's arch enemy, tried to
      destroy the Enterprise with the Genesis weapon, the Enterprise had no warp speed
      to escape from the blast of the Genesis weapon. Spock knew that the
      Enterprise was doomed for destruction without warp speed. So Spock repaired the warp
      drive and saved the crew of the Enterprise by sacrificing his life. Spock, like
      Christ, had a purpose, which was to save his friends. Jesus saved the church,
      while Spock saved the crew of the Enterprise. This is why Star Trek II was a
      big hit in the 80's -- because it resonated with what the Bible said about our
      Jesus.

      On the other hand, Star Trek III was ridiculous because Spock was resurrected
      from the dead. Star Trek II should be the last Star Trek movie for the
      original series of Star Trek. When Spock resurrected from the dead, Captain Kirk
      tried to resurrect Spock by sacrificing everything he had – his son and his ship –
      the U.S.S. Enterprise. Captain Kirk was portrayed as a type of Triune God
      the Father, while Spock was a type of Christ as the Triune Son of God. Captain
      Kirk was a sinful man. I hope that I do not sound so silly when I am saying
      this, but the producers of Star Trek portrayed the idea that Captain Kirk, a
      flawed and sinful wretch, could resurrect anyone like Spock from death. They were
      trying to foreshadow the resurrection of Spock with the resurrection of
      Christ. Nevertheless, sinful man could never resurrect our Jesus who died on the
      cross. Only God the Father has the power to do that! The producers of Star Trek
      will probably totally deny any relevance between Spock and the Bible, but it
      was pretty darn obvious in Star Trek V.

      In Star Trek V, this episode was the most ridiculous Star Trek sequel known
      to mankind! I was not surprised that so many Star Trek fans hated the movie. It
      basically showed God being killed by a photon torpedo. Sound very silly?
      Yeah, it was very silly. Even though Christ died on the cross, Christ was a man.
      He did not die in a sense that He ceased to exist. His Spirit was just
      separated from his flesh when He died on the cross. In Star Trek V, God was not
      portrayed as a man, but as a Spirit, which could be killed. Contrary to the opinions
      of the producers of the Star Trek movie, it is impossible to kill the Spirit.
      In Star Trek V, God was portrayed as uncaring, unloving, and unmerciful – and
      like an alien from another planet. The producers of Star Trek V ridiculed God
      even further by implying that God did not exist or else He could have built a
      starship in heaven and landed on the surface of our planet Earth. Captain
      Kirk asked, "Why does God need a starship to get off His planet?" It may be a
      rhetorical question, but it was a good one. Why would God need a starship to get
      off His silly planet when He could have beamed Himself onto the surface of our
      planet through a transporter? Jesus did not need a starship to come to our
      planet on Earth. He is not an alien from outer space on a distant planet 300
      light years away from Earth. God is a Spirit, and His Spirit cannot be killed.
      His ascension into heaven might be explained scientifically, but it may not. It
      was probably the closest version to a transporter beam. Even though heaven is
      a place, it may not be on a distant planet 300 light years away. Even though
      God is not here with us as a man, He is infinite and is with us as a Spirit.

      Complimenting or insulting God on the big screen is not the answer to bring a
      greater understanding of God’s nature. This can only be done through the Word
      of God – the Bible.

      Copyright - CHEMISTRY (CHristian E-mail MIniSTRY)
      E-mail: JosephYLee@..., Website: http://www.josephylee.org