Moonstone Poetry @ Brandywine Workshop in Philadelphia

  • murphywriting
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2013

      Moonstone Poetry @ Brandywine Workshop

       Siduri & Jaya Present - These two young poets, Siduri Beckman and Jaya Montague, chosen by Sonia Sanchez in the Youth Poet Laureate competition, will present poets they like, and think that you should know, on the third Tuesday of each month.

      Tuesday September 17 @ 6:30 PM

      728 S. Broad Street

      Philadelphia, PA

      Siduri Beckman presents Da’Quan Strickland

      Siduri Beckman "I really think [poetry] can be used to help teens with issues," said Beckman, who sleeps with a pen and adhesive notes near her. "A lot of grown-ups don't understand what teenagers feel. Poetry is this super-raw form of expression [in which] teenagers can talk about the issues that they face." Da’Quan Strickland – “ I've always enjoyed creative writing, and I've always wanted something I wrote to be acknowledged as amazing. So I think my main goal as a writer and poet is that people will be able to hear my thoughts and feelings and relate and accept my ideas.”

      Jaya Montague presents Karen Brown

      Jaya Montague, Philadelphia Young Playwrights Youth Council Member and student at the Philadelphia High School for Creative and Performing Arts has been writing since she was five years old. “My Aunt Sandy, in the summer time, would sit down and make me write for three hours, which I hated, but then I grew to love writing...” Karen Brown is a writer and spoken word artist who ventures into poetic personifications that express the cries of the human soul. She has written and performed works on grief, addiction , mistakes, and much more. Her words challenge the listener to face underlying soul entanglements and to embrace truth that sets the soul free.

      For Information: Moonstone Arts Center, 110A S. 13th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107

      (215) 735-9600; larry@...; www.moonstoneartscenter.org

      Have a submission for PoetryNJ?

      Please make sure it meets our submission guidelines (http://www.murphywriting.com/poetrynj-daily-emails-about-poetry-readings-prose-readings-in-nj-ny-philadelphia.html) & send it to murphywriting@....