MCDANIEL & DIAS-PORTER @ Richard Stockton College in AC

  • murphywriting
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2013
      World Above: Open Mic Poetry Night featuring Jeffrey McDaniel and Joel Dias-Porter
      (Please see below for full author bios & event details)

      Wednesday, August 28 @ 7 PM
      Dante Hall Theater - Richard Stockton College
      14 N. Mississippi Avenue
      Atlantic City,

      Contact: (609) 347-2162

      Have a submission for PoetryNJ?
      Please make sure it meets our submission guidelines (http://www.murphywriting.com/poetrynj-daily-emails-about-poetry-readings-prose-readings-in-nj-ny-philadelphia.html) & send it to murphywriting@...

      Jeffrey McDaniel is the author of three books: Alibi School (Manic D, 1995), The Forgiveness Parade (Manic D, 1998), and The Splinter Factory (Manic D, 2002). His poems have appeared in numerous journals and anthologies, including Best American Poetry 1994 and New (American) Poets. The recipient of an NEA Fellowship, a translated volume of his poems, Katastrophenkunde, is coming out this summer on Lautsprecherverlag in Germany. He lives in Brooklyn and teaches creative writing at Sarah Lawrence College.

      Joel Dias-Porter's bio from his blog On the Ones and the Twos: "I was born and raised in Pittsburgh, PA, and was a professional DJ in the DC area. From 1994- 1999 I competed in the National Poetry Slam, and was the 1998 and 99 Haiku Slam Champion. Places my poems have been published include Time Magazine, The Washington Post, Callaloo, Antioch Review, Red Brick Review, Beltway Quarterly and the anthologies Gathering Ground, Love Poetry Out Loud, Meow: Spoken Word from the Black Cat, Short Fuse, Role Call, Def Poetry Jam, 360 Degrees of Black Poetry, Slam (The Book), Revival: Spoken Word from Lollapallooza, Poetry Nation, Beyond the Frontier, Spoken Word Revolution, Catch a Fire, and The Black Rooster Social Inn, an anthology of poems and photos of visual art. In 1995, I received the Furious Flower "Emerging Poet Award" from James Madison University. Performances include the Today Show, the documentary SlamNation, on BET, and in the feature film Slam. A Cave Canem fellow and the father of a young son, I have a CD of jazz and poetry on Black Magi Music, entitled "LibationSong". Joel Dias-Porter was recently featured in an article "Poet at the Poker Table" by the Poetry Foundation.

      These open mics are open to the public for free. Everyone is encouraged to attend to read their poetry. We want to hear your voice. Poems will not be screened. We ask that if you are reading that you be respectful of those around you while remaining honest to yourself. No threatening, racist, homophobic or hateful messages of any sort will be tolerated. Please be advised that this series is recommended for adults due to the potentially mature nature of the poems read.

      Each poet reading in the Open Mic will receive 3 minutes or 2 poems of time on the mic. The Featured Poet will follow the Open Mic & time will be allowed after for discussion of the poems.