SAVE New Jersey ARTS - 5

  • Peter Murphy
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27 1:57 PM
      THIS JUST IN...

      APRIL 28 & MAY 8 – SECRETARY OF STATE TESTIFIES AT DEPT. HEARINGS

      For the first time ever, a Secretary of State is publicly challenging the Governor's budget. Secretary Thomas is putting her career on the line in a fight to save the staffs and grant programs of the NJ Historical Commission, the NJ State Council on the Arts and the NJ Cultural Trust. AND SHE'S ASKING FOR OUR SUPPORT. When she makes her pitch before the Budget Committees, she wants the room packed with supporters from the History and Arts communities. DON'T LET HER DOWN! Show up in force for one or both of the two scheduled hearings.

      The first hearing is at 1 pm on April 28 before the Senate Budget & Appropriations Committee (Committee Room 4, 1st Floor, State House Annex) and again on May 8 at 10:00 am before the Assembly Budget Committee. (Committee Room 11, 4th Floor,
      State House Annex).

      For more information, call 609-443-3582 or email artpride@....

      ***

      MAY 14 – SAVE NJ ARTS & HISTORY RALLY <http://www.artpridenj.com/public/enews/user/rally.wmf>

      Yes, it's on May 14! Bring your postcards, bring your petitions and letters, bring banners and signs, buttons and t-shirts, but most importantly, bring yourselves!!

      The Save NJ Arts & History rally is scheduled for May 14 in Trenton. As of today, bus transportation is being organized in Morris County, in Princeton, in Newark and in Cape May. The tourism community will be joining arts and history advocates, and the regional tourism councils are also planning buses to Trenton. If you need people on your bus, let us know and we'll make sure they know where to board! Our goal is to get 1,000 advocates to celebrate the importance of the arts and history to our lives.

      If you plan to attend, we ask that you register in advance so we can keep track of the numbers. An online registration form is at www.artpridenj.com When you click on ACTION on the home page, the form is there, and it is also available in the Arts Crisis Resource Room where you can download it, complete it and fax it to 609-324-3516. The form provides schedule details. While folks will arrive from 9:30 on, the march down West State Street is plan ned for 11 am.

      Be creative, be historic! This is our big chance to shout out and be heard! A Revolutionary War Honor Guard will march, a New Orleans-style jazz funeral is being organized, a Chinese dragon will dance! New Jersey based celebrities will speak! If you want to bring music or dance to the rally, please let us know in advance. We will also collect postcards, letters, and petitions at the rally, so that is the target date and location for delivery!

      To volunteer, and if you have questions, call 609-443-3582 or email artpride@... REGISTER TODAY, and spread the word!!