279NJ POETS AND AUTHORS in Newark

  • Peter Murphy
    Apr 1, 2004
      APRIL: WORDS ON PAPER: NJ POETS AND AUTHORS in Newark

      THE NEW JERSEY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
      52 Park Place
      Newark, NJ  07102

      Lunchtime programs held every Wednesday from 12:15--1:00 pm:

      Contact: Lily Hodge
      973-596-8500 ext. 234
      lhodge@...
      http://www.jerseyhistory.org

      In honor of National Poetry Month:

      APRIL 7       The Common Language of Poetry
      Award-winning poet Maria Mazziotti Gillan, founder of the Poetry Center at =

      Passaic Community College in Paterson, NJ, will share her poetry to kick of=
      National Poetry Month.  Her books include: Where I Come From, Things My
      Mother Told Me, and Italian Women in Black Dresses.

      APRIL 14      Worshipping Walt Whitman
              Michael Robertson, Professor of English at The College of New Jerse=
      y,
      will tell the story of Walt Whitman's most fervent disciple, lifelong Camde=
      resident Horace Traubel.  Robertson is currently completing his second book=
      ,
      Worshipping Walt: The Whitman Disciples.

      APRIL 21      The Life of a Poet Laureate
              Sander Zulauf, the first Poet Laureate of the Episcopal Diocese of =

      Newark, will read from his work and discuss his life as a poet.  Zulauf, wh=
      o is
      currently editor of the Journal of New Jersey Poets, and professor at the
      County College of Morris, is author of Succasunna, New Jersey.

      APRIL 28      Teaching Poetry
              Join Rachel Hadas, Board of Governors Professor of English at Rutge=
      rs-
      Newark, as she shares her passion for teaching poetry, writing poetry, and =

      writing about poetry.

      Please feel free to call or email if you have any questions, concerns,
      comments.  Please check out our website for directions, more info about wha=
      we do.

      Thanks for your time.

      Lily Hodge
      Adult and Special Needs Program Coordinator