They Say Life Is A Mirror

  • Anna Ruiz
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2007

      They say life is a mirror.

      I’d have to agree with ‘them’.

      On occasion, life mirrors what we

      want and on occasion, what we don’t

      want.

      So there must be some sort of mastermind

      behind the curtains, just like the wizard

      in the Wizard of Oz,

      it’s our job to pull away the curtain and

      see who is really behind the obscuring smoke,

      the booming thunder of a voice sound,

      guaranteed, after awhile, the tears of release

      will fall,

      and you’ll laugh out loud

      for scaring yourself.

      Smiles,

      Anna

    • Linda Walker
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 31, 2007

        Oh, Anna, that was so special....hit me right where I needed it to today......thank you so much!
        With a Smile, Linda-Reducer
        http://www.neverloseweightagain.com

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 31, 2007
          On the Craft of Poetry

          Nisha said
          Teach me to write poetry

          Hum
          You see I don’t really think about these things
          nowadays
          I jest do them
          I will try . . .
          See . . . I’m trying . . .no really . . . I am trying
          God, this is a lot of work . . .

          I will analyze “In Praise of Progress”

          Here’s the poem:

          In Praise of Progress

          Once the street was new
          Lights of a different color
          Lights not the bloodless red of sodium
          Poured down on the heads
          Of gentlemen and ladies
          Who walked home
          Satisfied

          Once this street was new
          And the bricks fit together
          The sidewalks were flat
          Music poured from the theatres
          And even people who had no
          Hand in building this street
          Harbored a vague pride
          in owning their momentary part of it

          And some damned fool
          Was walking down that street thinking
          Ah, Progress
          Things can only get better

          First question: Why am I writing this particular
          piece of poetry?
          Possible Answers:
          » I’ve got an itch in my heart/mind
          » I’m Bored
          » I want to get this feeling out in the open
          » I saw this really neat work that someone else did
          » Wouldn’t it be neat if . . .
          » I need attention, I want attention, I’ve got to have
          . . .
          » I need love, I want love, I’ve got to have . . .
          » The course of human history will be significantly
          altered . . .

          Second question: Who is this work for? Who is the
          audience?
          Possible Answers:
          » Myself only
          » My Mom
          » My Friends (acquaintances)
          » My Friends (superficial)
          » My Friends (deep)
          » My Friends (honest)
          » The really neat girl I met yesterday
          » Future Generations of unborn (as yet) children
          » Editors of poetry magazines (hardcopy)
          » Editors of poetry zines (web based)
          » A bunch of people in a dark room with a stage

          Second question part #2: What kind of baggage does
          this audience carry? Sometimes a word can have a lot
          of baggage, like the word ‘gay’. You can use this
          baggage that the reader already carries.
          Advertising uses this all the time, especially during
          political campaigns. How many times did the ‘Brush’
          people use the expression ‘Liberal” hoping that it had
          a lot of baggage.

          Third Question: What do I want the work to do? How
          do I want it to affect the audience?
          Possible Answers:
          » Provoke the audience
          » Frighten the audience
          » Entertain the audience
          » Get attention of the audience
          » Point out something that needs to be corrected in
          society
          » Point out something that needs to be corrected in
          the audience
          » Cause the audience to squirm just the slightest bit
          » Cause the audience to
          o laugh
          o feel inspired to do great things
          o cry
          o change their ways
          o give me things (money, cardboard, bit of plastic)
          o buy me a drink
          o leave me alone and not buy me a drink
          o run screaming into the distance
          o die peacefully
          o die painfully in a protracted fashion
          o die in a burst of flames

          Forth question: Given the first three answers what
          would be the best form for this particular work?
          Possible Answers:
          » blank verse
          » haiku
          » sonnet
          » lyrics to song
          » tanka
          » new form new seen before in the history of humans

          OK, so here we go with “In Praise of Progress”

          First question: Why am I writing this particular
          piece of poetry?
          I’m looking at the pavement, and its broken up and
          the bricks from a long time ago are exposed. I’m
          feeling cranky about the way people think that
          progress is always good.
          People used to have manners and thought that they
          belonged to American society, Nowadays they are in
          their own private little techno bubbles, never
          touching each other, never seeing each other, ect, ect
          (by the way this is bullshit, because people have
          always been mean and “everything was so much better
          back in the old days” is just a cop out, they had all
          kinds of problems I don’t have. Never let the fact
          that the basis of a poem is bullshit stop you. Some
          of the very best poetry is bullshit.)

          Second question: “In Praise of Progress”: Who is this
          work for? Who is the audience?
          This is gen lit (general literature) for romantic
          grownups who feel a little frightened by modern
          technology. Use old words that have a glow
          connotation.

          Second question part #2: What kind of baggage does
          this audience carry?
          They believe that the best of the world occurred in
          the past and that the world was perfect and is now
          turning to shit.

          Third Question: What do I want to work to do? How do
          I want it to affect the audience?
          I want the reader to feel a kind of glow and think
          pleasantly about the past while feeling a little
          uncomfortable about technology and progress.

          Forth question: Given the first three answers what
          would be the best form for this particular work?
          Blank verse with a heavy meter (hey, its Bill Burns)

          Next, poetry should always paint a picture so you use
          words that cause the reader to see the scene.
          Especially scenes with baggage.

          In Praise of Progress <Using the word “Praise” here in
          an ironic fashion>

          Once the street was new
          Lights of a different color <Contrasting then with
          now>
          Lights not the bloodless red of sodium <Make ‘now’
          look bad, ‘red’ is a code word>
          Poured down on the heads
          Of gentlemen and ladies <no junkies, pushers and ho’s>
          Who walked home
          Satisfied <Honestly, is anyone ever satisfied?>
          <Make the reader think that they were>

          Once this street was new <3 statements of glow>
          And the bricks fit together
          The sidewalks were flat <’In the day’ things were
          ‘new’ and by implication, nice>
          Music poured from the theatres <This is a meander of
          thought>
          And even people who had no <Meander is real big in
          romantic stuff>
          Hand in building this street
          Harbored a vague pride
          in owning their momentary part of it <even the lesser
          people of the day felt it was good>
          <by the way this is bullshit>
          <Now that we have painted the glowing picture, we
          insert a problem>
          <What’s wrong with this picture?>
          And some damned fool <Ironic Burnsian twist>
          Was walking down that street thinking <Even in this
          good and holy place>
          Ah, Progress <There was the idiot that caused it
          all>
          Things can only get better <Its all his fault and he
          was so stupid>
          <Obviously this was not in praise of progress, sarcasm
          is a way of making the reader laugh, but still feel
          the negative energy of the work>

          Now about the sound-scape of the work, meter and stuff

          In Praise of Progress ‘’-‘- Beat on ‘In’ and ‘Praise’
          Coast on ‘of ‘ Beat on ‘Pro’ Coast on ‘gress’

          1Once the street was new ‘-‘-‘
          2Lights of a different color ‘—‘-‘-
          3Lights not the bloodless red of sodium ‘ stumble
          ‘-‘-‘-‘-- <the stumble here is like an actor speaking
          an aside>
          4Poured down on the heads ‘’—‘
          5Of gentlemen and ladies -‘-‘-‘-
          6Who walked home ‘-‘
          7Satisfied ‘-‘

          <Romantic ‘-‘- ‘boom da boom da’ is the best. This
          pattern is broken at the stumble (lines 4&5&6 and at
          the end>

          Once this street was new ‘-‘-‘
          And the bricks fit together ‘-‘-‘--
          The sidewalks were flat -‘-‘-
          Music poured from the theatres ‘-‘—‘-
          And even people who had no -‘-‘-‘--
          Hand in building this street ‘-‘—‘ <”Hand in the
          building of this street”>
          <was my original write, but revised>
          <Because that would have been ‘—‘---‘>
          Harbored a vague pride ‘—‘-
          in owning their momentary part of it -‘-‘’-‘-‘-‘

          And some damned fool -‘-‘
          Was walking down that street thinking -‘-‘-‘’-
          Ah, Progress ‘’-
          Things can only get better ‘-‘—‘-

          Now you might think that thinking this way is
          unnatural but if you listen to yourself and others
          when they are speaking you will see that we all do
          this quite naturally
          Especially in a play, once you have the meter the
          words make a lot more sense
          You can look words up and it shows the beat pattern
          for the word
          I use my instincts because I might want to mess with
          the beat pattern of a word

          Now about the sound-scape of the work, word spin and
          polish

          In Praise of Progress <Lots of s sounds, kinda sexy>

          Once the street was new <’Once’ has s sound so does
          ‘street’ and ‘was’>
          Lights of a different color
          Lights not the bloodless red of sodium <s sounds here
          are inappropriate>
          Poured down on the heads <‘poured down on the heads’
          is a religious blessing>
          Of gentlemen and ladies <Nobility words>
          Who walked home <note lack of technology, no
          carriages ect.>
          Satisfied <s sounds here are appropriate>

          Once this street was new <Repetition of phrase, big
          in romantic>
          And the bricks fit together <things were fitting
          together, not fragmented>
          The sidewalks were flat <and the high places shall be
          laid flat>
          Music poured from the theatres <again the use of
          ‘poured’, grace from heaven>
          And even people who had no <’and even’ is a
          comparative>
          Hand in building this street
          Harbored a vague pride
          in owning their momentary part of it <notice this is
          the only uncapitalized line>

          And some damned fool <No repetition of phrase, slam
          on the brakes>
          Was walking down that street thinking <modern phrase,
          implies carelessness, punches the word ‘that’ which de
          emphasizes the word ‘thinking’ >
          Ah, Progress <You can almost see him leaning back>
          Things can only get better <with a huge idiotic
          grin, Bastard>

          Notice that it has taken way more words to analyze the
          poem then it did to actually write it. That’s what
          poetry is all about, the fewest possible words for the
          maximum effect.

          Now the question “Did you intend all these things
          before you started?”
          Yes
          First I wrote it but I did not think about the rules,
          I just wrote it
          Then I went back and applied the rules to the poem
          Never go back and correct a poem twice, write another
          poem that is better
          Keep the old poem and later it might look like
          something different

          Next question “Is this what you meant?”
          I have no idea. You should not try to think of what a
          poem means while you are writing it. You always say
          that you don’t know what you meant in a poem until
          much later, welcome to the poet’s club, none of us do.
          In a lot of ways its like soccer, you intend to win
          when you start
          You use strategies you have practiced and you learn
          from your mistakes
          But you still have to love the game.

          Quixotic as ever

          William C. Burns, Jr.
          Millennium Artist
          matrix437@...

          Need a vacation? Get great deals
          to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
          http://travel.yahoo.com/
        • Anna Ruiz
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 31, 2007
            Love this love this love this love this love this love this love this love this love this...

            can i forward it to a few friends Willie S.?

            matrix437@yahoo. com

            Need a vacation? Get great deals
            to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
            http://travel. yahoo.com/

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          • William Burns
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 31, 2007
              In as much as you are in fact my Lady
              And I am in fact in your service
              Please send it to any one you like
              distantly like
              might like if they had better hygiene
              wouldn’t like even if they had better hygiene
              wouldn’t like unless they were deep fried
              If it pleases . . .

              In your service
              Bill
              ps I assume the S. was not an accident . . .

              === message truncated ===

              Quixotic as ever

              William C. Burns, Jr.
              Millennium Artist
              matrix437@...

            • Anna Ruiz
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 31, 2007
                ahhh, Willie ye are Willie S. Lord Byron, Tennyson, and and and and and

                but tell me true kind sir, who are you really?

                Yours,
                Anna

                --- Anna Ruiz <kailashana@cox. net> wrote:

                > Love this love this love this love this love this
                > love this love this love this love this...
                >
                > can i forward it to a few friends Willie S.?

                === message truncated ===

                Quixotic as ever

                William C. Burns, Jr.
                Millennium Artist
                matrix437@yahoo. com

                Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join Yahoo!'s user panel and lay it on us. http://surveylink. yahoo.com/ gmrs/yahoo_ panel_invite. asp?a=7

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              • Robin Gorley
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 31, 2007

                  Well, it is something like this

                  What was I thinking before I was thinking!

                  Robin Gorley

                  www.freewebs.com/alifetimeofwords

                  wouldn’t like even if they had better hygiene
                  wouldn’t like unless they were deep fried
                  If it pleases . . .

                  In your service
                  Bill
                  ps I assume the S. was not an accident . . .

                  --- Anna Ruiz <kailashana@cox. net> wrote:

                  > Love this love this love this love this love this
                  > love this love this love this love this...
                  >
                  > can i forward it to a few friends Willie S.?

                  Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
                • William Burns
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 31, 2007
                    --- Anna Ruiz <kailashana@...> wrote:

                    > ahhh, Willie ye are Willie S. Lord Byron, Tennyson,
                    > and and and and and
                    >
                    > but tell me true kind sir, who are you really?
                    >
                    > Yours,
                    > Anna

                    That is a strangely difficult question to answer
                    I find that I am like Time
                    I know what/who I am until I think about it
                    And I find I don't have good word answers . . .

                    Tell you what
                    I promise to answer any questions you might ask in
                    Truth and Verse
                    And supply any support data that might help

                    So please ask . . .

                    In your service
                    Bill

                    Quixotic as ever

                    William C. Burns, Jr.
                    Millennium Artist
                    matrix437@...

                  • William Burns
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 1, 2007
                      Desire

                      She ran through the streets
                      Still wet with the tears of the night sky
                      In a dream of steel and glass

                      She flew through the forest
                      Beyond the outskirts of town
                      The rain called for her to stop
                      But still she ran

                      She ran to the shore
                      Where she flew out of the car
                      Across the sands the first light of the moon

                      She dove into the water
                      The sea pulled at her heart
                      And brother dolphins swam at her side

                      They showed her how to leap
                      And so she leapt to the sky
                      Where she climbed the clouds

                      With shells in her hair
                      And the wind at her foot
                      She grasped the lip of mother Moon

                      And laid before her
                      Like silverware at a banquet
                      Was everything she had ever desired

                      But she couldn’t find what she craved
                      “I am hungry.” she shouted
                      “I am hungry.” she sang
                      “I am hungry.” she whispered
                      And torrents of her tears tried to drown the World

                      Her mother Moon held her like a newborn child
                      But she would not be comforted
                      So the Moon reached down and placed her in a desert

                      And she wondered the Night
                      In tatters and rags until she heard her own heart
                      beating
                      Calling out his name

                      Quixotic as ever

                      William C. Burns, Jr.
                      Millennium Artist
                      matrix437@...

                      http://tv.yahoo.com/
                    • Ed Wolverton
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 1, 2007
                        Hi Anna. You can get a little history of Bill by google searching his name.....Its nice to have this Internet, as we can reach out in so many ways.......Ed.

                         I just recently send 4 manuscripts to a hopeful......one never knows..... Ed.

                        William Burns <matrix437@...> wrote:

                        --- Anna Ruiz <kailashana@cox. net> wrote:

                        > ahhh, Willie ye are Willie S. Lord Byron, Tennyson,
                        > and and and and and
                        >
                        > but tell me true kind sir, who are you really?
                        >
                        > Yours,
                        > Anna

                        That is a strangely difficult question to answer
                        I find that I am like Time
                        I know what/who I am until I think about it
                        And I find I don't have good word answers . . .

                        Tell you what
                        I promise to answer any questions you might ask in
                        Truth and Verse
                        And supply any support data that might help

                        So please ask . . .

                        In your service
                        Bill

                        Quixotic as ever