Boys And Men

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2006

      Expectations and demands, alliances
      and situations to be addressed.
      Locker room jokes, tenderly
      pretending feelings are for
      "sissies". Rugged role playing,
      modelling behaviour of the
      tipped arrow of society.

      "Daddy, look at me, I am just like you"

      Things have changed, they will tell you.
      Men can feel now. But we men, we
      know the truth. The stereotype is
      still pervasive and controlling.

      A man must be strong.
      A man must be brave.
      A man must not love unless
      he is getting laid.

      "Daddy, look at me, I am just like you"

      "Daddy, were you ever scared and alone like me?"

    • Ed Wolverton
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2006
        Fantastic poem Chris....more true to life ...than ever. I think you hit the nail on life, with this one.   I missed out on seeing my children grow up [3] boy, two girls], now, ....I am missing out on watching my six grandchildren grow up...disfuntional children- from their mother.   Ed....

        Chris <cvaliant@...> wrote:
        Boys And Men

        The boy dreamt of his father,

        Between boys and men such
        impossible expectations,
        joyful boys with rumpled
        hair crying for attention
        Heart bursting to be
        the little man.

        "Daddy, look at me, I am just like you"

        Men slipping away their emotional
        core, resisting temptation to display
        the love they have for their boys.
        Holding fast to important things,
        to work and career, making money
        and cutting the grass. Taking care
        of things, like a man.

        "Daddy, look at me, I am just like you"

        Such distance between boys and men,
        flowers grow faster than emotions.
        Expectations and demands, alliances
        and situations to be addressed.
        Locker room jokes, tenderly
        pretending feelings are for
        "sissies". Rugged role playing,
        modelling behaviour of the
        tipped arrow of society.

        "Daddy, look at me, I am just like you"

        Things have changed, they will tell you.
        Men can feel now. But we men, we
        know the truth. The stereotype is
        still pervasive and controlling.

        A man must be strong.
        A man must be brave.
        A man must not love unless
        he is getting laid.

        "Daddy, look at me, I am just like you"

        "Daddy, were you ever scared and alone like me?"

      • Diamond DeAngelo
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2006
          Very nice and talented you are, Chris!

          Diamond