Tiny Apple

  • Chris G. Vaillancourt+
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2010
      Tiny Apple

      A tiny apple in the tree.
      Our straining eyes could just
      about make it out in the branches.
      I think we enjoyed the thought that something
      was smaller than us. It hung deep red
      with a sliver of sun shimmering off its surface.
      Each of us felt the apple was ours alone.
      Each of us pretended an exclusive affinity
      with the tiny apple in the tree.
      It was our special secret which we would cherish
      as if it was the most significant memory of our lives.
      Our collective breath sighing in fruitful pleasure
      at what surely would be a delicious bite.

      This was the term that separated us.
      Half of us wanted to gaze in admiration
      at the apple forever.
      The other half was planning on