14883POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY conversation with contest judges tomorrow on PSH Live!

  • Rick Lupert
    Jul 26 10:50 AM
      Poetry Super Highway Weekly Newsletter
      Poetry Super Highway
      • Contest Judges on PSH Live - Tomorrow!
        We'll be broadcasting our annual conversation with our contest judges live TOMORROW (Sunday July 27th, 2:00 pm Pacific). You can tune in to the audio broadcast live as well as call in with your own questions (or send them via AIM or Facebook Message) or listen to the show archived after the live broadcast. Click here to tune in.

      • Enter the 2014 PSH Poetry Contest
        Thanks to our many generous sponsors, we hope to be able to give everyone who enters a prize of interest to poets and writers just for entering (in addition to the cash prize for the top three scoring poems.) Enter now! Click here for all the details, or email guidelines@... to have the guidelines automatically e-mailed to you.

      THE POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY WEEKLY VIRTUAL UPDATE
      PoetrySuperHighway.com | Facebook | Twitter
      Issue # 869 - ISSN: 1523-6587.

      July 28 - August 3, 2014

      this week:

      POETS OF THE WEEK

      This week's featured poets are: Joe Love and Heather Awad:

      Joe Love (St. Lous, Missouri) is an artist, a musician, and a poet and teaches writing and literature in St. Louis on both sides of the arch. His work has appeared in or is forthcoming from The Oddville Press, Crack the Spine, Bangalore Review, From the Depths, Drunk Monkeys, Bellowing Ark, and other journals.

      Heather Awad (Endicott, New York) has been writing poetry for a long time but only recently started submitting her work. Her poem Burdened was recently chosen as poem of the week on Oz Poetic Society’s website.

      Read their work HERE.

      NEW POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY LINKS

      Here are all of the new sites added to the Poetry Super Highway's Poetry and Writing links sections:

      Find thousands more links to poetry and writing websites in our online Link Directory. Click HERE to add your poetry/writing website to our directory.

      NEW ONLINE POETRY RESOURCES LINKS THIS WEEK:

      Oddville Press, the
      The Oddville Press is an online non-profit magazine distributed as a free PDF download dedicated to bringing high quality Fiction, Poetry and Artwork to the forefront and whose mission is to promote today’s geniuses and tomorrow’s giants.

      NEW ONLINE PUBLICATIONS LINKS THIS WEEK:

      Ann Arbor Review
      An international poetry journal & ezine.

      Two Serious Ladies
      Two Serious Ladies is a small, irregular online magazine to promote writing and art by women. It was founded in February of 2012 by Lauren Spohrer. The name comes from the 1943 short novel by Jane Bowles.

      Drunk Monkeys
      We are an eclectic online literary magazine featuring short stories, flash fiction, poetry, TV and movie reviews, and essays.

      POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY BOOKSTORE

      On My Way to Becoming a Man by A.D. WinansOn My Way to Becoming a Man by A. D. Winans featured this week in the the PSH Bookstore

      ON MY WAY TO BECOMING A MAN vividly takes the reader on a journey from boyhood innocence to adulthood. Winans speaks the power of truth as he takes us down a long road of political narrative, beginning with his boarding of a troop train, heading for boot camp, to the jungles of Panama, through the political turmoil of Vietnam and beyond. As in life, the poems are filled with both pain and beauty. They possess an elegant simplicity and clarity, conveyed with heartfelt expressions of a wise observer. You might not always like or agree with what the poet has to say, but there is no denying the poems are presented in a powerful, honest, and uncompromising literary style.

      Click here for more and to order

      Paperback, 116 pages, NYQ Books, May 2014

      UPCOMING POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY LIVE EVENTS

      PSH LiveWe host a monthly, live, online open reading and other special shows which you can listen to and participate in here: http://poetrysuperhighway.com/psh/psh-live/

      If you can't make the live time, you can also listen to any past show by visiting poetrysuperhighway.com/pshlive.html and clicking on the show's title. (As well as subscribe to all of our shows through iTunes or any other software you use to listen to podcasts.

      Upcoming Shows:

      Conversation with 2014 PSH Poetry Contest Judges
      Sunday, July 27, 2014 ~ 2:00 pm (pacific) ~ Tomorrow!
      Listen in to our conversation with the 2013 Poetry Contest Judges to learn what they look for when they are scoring your contest entry poems. They will share valuable insights and read some of their own work as well as work that they enjoy.

      August 2014 PSH Live Open Reading
      Sunday, August 10, 2014 ~ 2:00 pm (pacific)
      Join our monthly open reading by calling in to read a poem or just listening to poets from all over the world! No content or style restrictions. Tell us what's going on in your poetry world: Your latest book, an upcoming reading or a call for submissions. Join in!

      Recently Archived broadcasts:

      June 2014 PSH Live Open Reading
      Sunday, June 22
      It was truly the international edition of Poetry Super Highway Live this month with callers early in from Australia and Singapore In addition to folks representing the good old U.S.A. from Herreman, TN, Sun City and Los Angeles, CA, Merrick, NY and Glenridge, New Jersey. We also played a spoken word track from Dee Sunshine from the wilds of Europe.

      May 2014 PSH Live Open Reading
      Sunday, May 25, 2014
      Great poetry show this month with callers from Ballarat, Australia, Westerville, Ohio, Topanga, California, Los Angeles, California, Birmingham Alabama and a spoken word track from Dee Sunshine from Glasgow Scotland. Check it out in the archives!

      Poetry Super Highway Live would love to host your reading, interview, contest promotion or other poetry/writing related show. Please e-mail your show idea to Rick@..., and we'll take it from there.

      POETRY CLASSIFIEDS
      For information on placing Poetry Related classifieds ads on the Poetry Super Highway web page and weekly e-mail outburst, send an e-mail to: classifieds@...

      Winning WritersTom Howard/Margaret Reid Poetry Contest

      12th year. Deadline: September 30. Top prize for a poem in any style: $1,000. Top prize for a poem that rhymes or has a traditional style: $1,000. Total prizes: $3,000.

      Both published and unpublished work accepted. Winning entries published online. New entry fee is more friendly to longer poems. Submit 1-2 poems of any length for a flat $16. Judge: Ellaraine Lockie.

      See past winners, advice from the judge, and submit online at
      http://www.winningwriters.com/tompoetry

      Poets, Writers, Dreamers...

      DREAM QUEST ONE POETRY & WRITING CONTEST is open to anyone who loves expressing their innermost thoughts and feelings into the beautiful literary art of poetry and/or writing a story that is worth telling everyone.

      Guidelines: (1) Write a poem, thirty lines or fewer on any subject, form or style. And/or (2) Write a short story five pages maximum length, single or double line spacing, on any subject or theme, fiction or non-fiction. Multiple entries are accepted.

      Prizes: Writing First Prize is $500; Second: $250; Third: $100. Poetry First Prize: $250; Second: $125; Third: $50.

      Entry fees: $5 per poem/$10 per story.

      Postmark deadline: July 31, 2014

      How to enter, visit: http://www.dreamquestone.com

      ...Alex M. Frankel reading at the Second Sunday Poetry Series in Pasadena

      SECOND SUNDAY POETRY SERIES in Los Angeles - New Venue! This open mic poetry reading series, hosted by Alex M. Frankel, takes place on the second Sunday of every month at the Studio Theatre At St Denis Building (3433 Cahuenga Blvd, Los Angeles 90068). Great poets are featured. They perform their work, sell and sign books and mingle with audience members and open mic participants. Admission is free.

      Next reading: Sunday, August 10, 2014 - 5 pm. Featuring Bob Foster and Brenda Petrakos. For more about the series please email alexmfrankel2000@... The Studio Theatre At St Denis Building is located at 3433 Cahuenga Blvd, in Los Angeles 90068. Check out website, search for "Second Sunday Poetry"

      POETS: IMPROVE YOUR POETRY!

      POETRY Workshop of ten years duration now inviting new members. BRING ten copies of one original poem to each session for analysis and helpful suggestions. Located in the Beyond Baroque Literary Arts Center, 681 Venice Blvd, in Venice, we are the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Workshop. Facilitated by Bob Foster and Alex M. Frankel. Every Saturday 1:30 to 4:30 pm. Participation is free. Contact alexmfrankel2000@... or Robert Foster, 323 848-9671.

      Ekphrastia Gone Wild: Poems inspired by art - edited by Rick Lupert Ekphrastia Gone Wild: poems inspired by art edited by Rick Lupert

      Ekphrastia Gone Wild (Ain’t Got No Press, July, 2013) is an anthology of ekphrastic poetry – poetry inspired by other works of art (including painting, film, literature, photography and more) including work by Nobel Prize winning poet Wislawa Szymborska along with a roster of 87 poets from all over the world including Suzanne Lummis, Laurel Ann Bogen, Jerry Quickly, Brendan Constantine, Gerald Locklin, Robert Wynne and many more, edited by Los Angeles poet Rick Lupert

      Click here for more and to order

      Ken Head’s new collection, Prospero’s Bowl, is available from www.overstepsbooks.com. Check out the reviews and what editors have been saying via www.kenhead.co.uk.

      The Science Fiction Poetry Association has supported speculative poets & science-fiction, fantasy, and horror poetry since 1978, offering Star*Line magazine, Eye To The Telescope e-zine, Rhysling & Dwarf Stars awards/anthologies, and the new Elgin Award for best spec poetry books. Annual SFPA poetry contest is open to all: deadline Aug. 15.

      Dreams & Nightmares magazine
      speculative poetry since 1986 http://dreamsandnightmaresmagazine.blogspot.com/
      contact David Kopaska-Merkel
      jopnquog@...

      The Ontario Poetry Society
      We Celebrate The Poet In You
      For poetry opportunities, visit www.theontariopoetrysociety.ca
      A poetry-friendly place for everyone

      Voices Israel announces the 25th annual Reuben Rose Poetry Competition.
      40 line limit.
      Submission period: June 15th. - September 15th. 2014
      Full guidelines and submission details at
      http://www.voicesisrael.com/reubenrosecompetition.htm

      The New Short Fiction Series is Los Angeles' longest running spoken word series, presenting the best new voices in West Coast short fiction every second Sunday of the month at The Federal Bar in North Hollywood.  For tickets and program information, visitwww.newshortfictionseries.com or call 866-811-4111.  The New Short Fiction Series is a project of The Pasadena Arts Council’s EMERGE Fiscal Sponsorship Program.

      Books & Shovels was initially a back pack weighed down with books on the back of a youth poet hitchhiking cross country.  Now based out of a station wagon weighed down with hundreds of books and exhibitions of passion, Books & Shovels is hitting the road from the 2014 NYC Poetry Festival to your local street corners, setting up its nonprofit shelves on your sidewalks, at festivals, and open mics.  The goal is to promote Passionate Living over Making A Living, and to do so, we need the assistance of the artistic community with spreading the word / pledging to our IndieGoGo campaign to secure Books & Shovels's launch.

      LONE STARS Poetry Magazine "We are your Word Window to the World" Publishing Poetry on Paper since 1991
      email: lonestarsmagazine@...
      Milo Rosebud, Editor and Pubublisher
      4219 Flinthill San Antonio, TEXAS 78230

      Instant poetry (just add words!) is now out and avalible From I universe. Check it out on Amazon.com, BarnesandNoble.com
      and through the publisher at iUniverse.com get your copy today!

      The News Factory is the third book of poetry and short stories. The common thread throughout this piece is the ode to a part of New York which continues to disappear day by day. The character’s in the poetry are all real and few if any fit in with the gentrification that plaque many of our neighborhoods. Mr. Abuelo’s book is both an ode and love letter to the city he remembered from his youth and the place where he has developed his creativity.

      thenewsfactory

      The Compulsive Reader

      Reviews of books by some of the hottest writers working today, exclusive author interviews, literary news, criticism and giveaways galore and all free. It's a haven for book lovers.

      http://www.compulsivereader.com/

      Publish your book with CreateSpace

      Publish your book with CreateSpace

      Nothing in New England is New by Rick LupertNothing in New England is New: The Poet’s Experiences in New England, America

      “Rick Lupert is a writer’s chef. He used to be a writer’s writer. Tomorrow he could be dead. You will be pleased at the way he masterfully sees something and then somehow manages to find a piece of paper and then write down something that is in no way reflective of what he truly saw. He is like a liar and a simile. If you want to laugh, there’s this book or anything on NBC pre-1986.” ~ Derrick Brown

      Nothing in New England is New is Rick Lupert’s 15th collection of poetry and latest in his poetic travelogue series. This edition takes you through such exotic American locations as Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Salem, Boston and Plymouth, Massachusetts, and Providence Rhode Island where they set the river on fire. Ride with Lupert’s trademark wit down the highways of New England. Unexpected turns will be taken, Ekphrastic Observations will be made. You will laugh. You will question your own underwear. You will want to set your local river on fire. As always, clothing is optional. (200 Pages, Ain’t Got No Press, March 2013)

      Learn more about Nothing in New England is New, read sample poems and get your own copy here.

      Affordable Website Hosting

      Lupert: It's The Website - & - Poetry Super Highway
      http://PoetrySuperHighway.com/