14877POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY help us give a prize to every contest entrant - become a sponsor!

  • Rick Lupert
    Jun 28, 2014
      Poetry Super Highway Weekly Newsletter
      Poetry Super Highway
      • Help us meet our goal of giving every contest entrant a prize, just for entering, by becoming a sponsor of our 2014 Poetry Contest!
        We're looking for prize donations for our 17th annual summer poetry contest. If you'd like to donate, books, subscriptions, services, or anything of specific interested to Poets and Writers in exchange for promotional mention in all contest correspondence and a free classified ad in our classifieds section (see it below) and for the duration of the contest, please CLICK HERE for all the details.

      THE POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY WEEKLY VIRTUAL UPDATE
      PoetrySuperHighway.com | Facebook | Twitter
      Issue # 866 - ISSN: 1523-6587.

      June 30 - July 7, 2014

      this week:

      POETS OF THE WEEK

      This week's featured poets are: Ellen Reich and Inez Andrucyk

      Ellen Reich (Malibu, California) teaches creative writing in Malibu for the Emeritus division of Santa Monica College. Her poems have been published in Los Angeles Times, Slant, Slipstream, ACM, Coe Review and others. She has won awards from DA Center for Arts, Blue Unicorn, Cape Cod Times etc. A chapbook, Reverse Kiss, was editor’s choice and published by Main Street Rag in 2005. Her book, The Gynecic Papers, deals primarily with women’s issues. A recent chapbook was published by Finishing Line Press, entitled Sleeping Guardian. Her next poetry book is forthcoming from Tebot Bach, entitled Sacrifices Have To Be Human.

      Inez Andrucyk (Mohegan Lake, Westchester, New York) has been a closet poet and writer during her outward existence as a visual artist. She has exhibited her artwork at The Hudson River Museum, The Jacob Burns Film Center, The Katonah Museum, The Arts Exchange, various galleries, colleges and universities, and was a guest speaker at The National Museum in Malta and Rutgers University. Murals are located in New York City (featured on Channel 11 News) and Port Chester, NY. Photos of her work have been featured in The New York Times, and in Crimes of the Beats and Unbearables. Her Community Mural was listed in ON THE WALL: COMMUNITY MURALS by Janet Braun-Reinitz and Jane Weissman Inez enjoys teaching art to adults, children, youth and at risk populations.

      Read their work HERE.

      NEW POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY LINKS

      Here are all of the new sites added to the Poetry Super Highway's Poetry and Writing links sections:

      Find thousands more links to poetry and writing websites in our online Link Directory. Click HERE to add your poetry/writing website to our directory.

      NEW ONLINE POETRY RESOURCES LINKS THIS WEEK:

      Books & Shovels
      Books & Shovels is a nonprofit traveling bookstore and publisher backed by Nostrovia! Poetry and UndergroundBooks.

      NEW ONLINE PUBLICATIONS LINKS THIS WEEK:

      Work Literary Magazine
      WORK is dedicated to celebrating the daily grind: white collar, blue collar, pink collar, sex work, food service, freelancing and more.

      If & When
      if&when is a literary magazine that aims to not only present creativity, but foster it. To that end, issues not only include short fiction, short creative nonfiction, poetry and single literary lines, but also activities and prompts to encourage picking up a pen and writing.

      NEW INDIVIDUAL POETS PAGES LINKS THIS WEEK:

      Inez Andrucyk Writing
      The writing blog for Inez Andrucyk.

      POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY BOOKSTORE

      Lust by Diana RaabLust by Diana Raab featured this week in the the PSH Bookstore

      A passionate journey through private emotional moments, Diana Raab's LUST voices the pain of loneliness and the heart's yearning for love while transcending the depths of human desire. In her fourth book of poetry, Raab employs narrative verse that is alive, titillating, and seductive. LUST examines the emotional and physical complexity of love, helping readers navigate the risks of intimacy as we move toward the realization that every experience enriches our lives, whether we perceive it as joy, pain, or out of the ordinary. Yet for all their psychological richness, the poems's simplicity and accessibility will resonate with women and men across all walks of life. LUST is a book you won't put down and won't soon forget. "Diana Raab's poetry collection, LUST, will make you fall head-over- heels in love with words. Words that are strung together, knotted like a perfect strand of opera length pearls. Some read like heartbreaking short stories. Some read like pieces of your soul. Some read like scented love-letters. Some like tearful, regretful voice messages. If you want to have a love affair with the written word, please, read this collection. It will make you a believer. Or maybe ... just maybe, it will make you a believer in the pure absolute beauty of Diana Raab."--Amy Ferris "In the lyric tradition of Song of Songs, Rumi, Lady Murasaki, and Anais Nin, poet Diana Raab sings of carnal desire. The themes of LUST, the transcendence of sexual ecstasy, the range of its expression, the sorrow of its temporality, they surprise of its renewal in maturity, the physicality of its intimacy, are, at once, timeless and as contemporary as Raab's short leather skirt and an espresso shared at Starbucks."--Tristine Rainer "Diana Raab in this daring book offers what shouldn't be so remarkable, yet is, a fearless detailing of intimacy, of blissful 'acts of kindness,' of that worshipful sexuality which forms our birth- and adult-right. LUST celebrates the sacred 'everlasting eros' that we must admit most interests us, the giving and taking, the ultimate bonding, the very enlightenment through glories of the body. She sings 'your oasis in the midst of me,' and bless her for it!"--Barry Spacks

      Click here for more and to order

      Paperback, 104 pages, WordTech Communications, February 2014

      UPCOMING POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY LIVE EVENTS

      PSH LiveWe host a monthly, live, online open reading and other special shows which you can listen to and participate in here: http://poetrysuperhighway.com/psh/psh-live/

      If you can't make the live time, you can also listen to any past show by visiting poetrysuperhighway.com/pshlive.html and clicking on the show's title. (As well as subscribe to all of our shows through iTunes or any other software you use to listen to podcasts.

      Upcoming Shows:

      Conversation with 2014 PSH Poetry Contest Judges
      Sunday, July 27, 2014 ~ 2:00 pm (pacific)
      Listen in to our conversation with the 2013 Poetry Contest Judges to learn what they look for when they are scoring your contest entry poems. They will share valuable insights and read some of their own work as well as work that they enjoy.

      August 2014 PSH Live Open Reading
      Sunday, August 10, 2014 ~ 2:00 pm (pacific)
      Join our monthly open reading by calling in to read a poem or just listening to poets from all over the world! No content or style restrictions. Tell us what's going on in your poetry world: Your latest book, an upcoming reading or a call for submissions. Join in!

      Recently Archived broadcasts:

      June 2014 PSH Live Open Reading
      Sunday, June 22
      It was truly the international edition of Poetry Super Highway Live this month with callers early in from Australia and Singapore In addition to folks representing the good old U.S.A. from Herreman, TN, Sun City and Los Angeles, CA, Merrick, NY and Glenridge, New Jersey. We also played a spoken word track from Dee Sunshine from the wilds of Europe.

      May 2014 PSH Live Open Reading
      Sunday, May 25, 2014
      Great poetry show this month with callers from Ballarat, Australia, Westerville, Ohio, Topanga, California, Los Angeles, California, Birmingham Alabama and a spoken word track from Dee Sunshine from Glasgow Scotland. Check it out in the archives!

      Poetry Super Highway Live would love to host your reading, interview, contest promotion or other poetry/writing related show. Please e-mail your show idea to Rick@..., and we'll take it from there.

      POETRY CLASSIFIEDS
      For information on placing Poetry Related classifieds ads on the Poetry Super Highway web page and weekly e-mail outburst, send an e-mail to: classifieds@...

      Winning WritersTom Howard/Margaret Reid Poetry Contest

      12th year. Deadline: September 30. Top prize for a poem in any style: $1,000. Top prize for a poem that rhymes or has a traditional style: $1,000. Total prizes: $3,000.

      Both published and unpublished work accepted. Winning entries published online. New entry fee is more friendly to longer poems. Submit 1-2 poems of any length for a flat $16. Judge: Ellaraine Lockie.

      See past winners, advice from the judge, and submit online at
      http://www.winningwriters.com/tompoetry

      Poets, Writers, Dreamers...

      DREAM QUEST ONE POETRY & WRITING CONTEST is open to anyone who loves expressing their innermost thoughts and feelings into the beautiful literary art of poetry and/or writing a story that is worth telling everyone.

      Guidelines: (1) Write a poem, thirty lines or fewer on any subject, form or style. And/or (2) Write a short story five pages maximum length, single or double line spacing, on any subject or theme, fiction or non-fiction. Multiple entries are accepted.

      Prizes: Writing First Prize is $500; Second: $250; Third: $100. Poetry First Prize: $250; Second: $125; Third: $50.

      Entry fees: $5 per poem/$10 per story.

      Postmark deadline: July 31, 2014

      How to enter, visit: http://www.dreamquestone.com

      ...Alex M. Frankel reading at the Second Sunday Poetry Series in Pasadena

      SECOND SUNDAY POETRY SERIES in Los Angeles - New Venue! This open mic poetry reading series, hosted by Alex M. Frankel, takes place on the second Sunday of every month at the Studio Theatre At St Denis Building (3433 Cahuenga Blvd, Los Angeles 90068). Great poets are featured. They perform their work, sell and sign books and mingle with audience members and open mic participants. Admission is free.

      Next reading: Sunday, July 13, 2014 - 5 pm. Featuring Fernando Castro. For more about the series please email alexmfrankel2000@... The Studio Theatre At St Denis Building is located at 3433 Cahuenga Blvd, in Los Angeles 90068. Check out website, search for "Second Sunday Poetry"

      POETS: IMPROVE YOUR POETRY!

      POETRY Workshop of ten years duration now inviting new members. BRING ten copies of one original poem to each session for analysis and helpful suggestions. Located in the Beyond Baroque Literary Arts Center, 681 Venice Blvd, in Venice, we are the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Workshop. Facilitated by Bob Foster and Alex M. Frankel. Every Saturday 1:30 to 4:30 pm. Participation is free. Contact alexmfrankel2000@... or Robert Foster, 323 848-9671.

      Nothing in New England is New by Rick LupertNothing in New England is New: The Poet’s Experiences in New England, America

      “Rick Lupert is a writer’s chef. He used to be a writer’s writer. Tomorrow he could be dead. You will be pleased at the way he masterfully sees something and then somehow manages to find a piece of paper and then write down something that is in no way reflective of what he truly saw. He is like a liar and a simile. If you want to laugh, there’s this book or anything on NBC pre-1986.” ~ Derrick Brown

      Nothing in New England is New is Rick Lupert’s 15th collection of poetry and latest in his poetic travelogue series. This edition takes you through such exotic American locations as Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Salem, Boston and Plymouth, Massachusetts, and Providence Rhode Island where they set the river on fire. Ride with Lupert’s trademark wit down the highways of New England. Unexpected turns will be taken, Ekphrastic Observations will be made. You will laugh. You will question your own underwear. You will want to set your local river on fire. As always, clothing is optional. (200 Pages, Ain’t Got No Press, March 2013)

      Learn more about Nothing in New England is New, read sample poems and get your own copy here.

      Affordable Website Hosting

      Ekphrastia Gone Wild: Poems inspired by art - edited by Rick Lupert Ekphrastia Gone Wild: poems inspired by art edited by Rick Lupert

      Ekphrastia Gone Wild (Ain’t Got No Press, July, 2013) is an anthology of ekphrastic poetry – poetry inspired by other works of art (including painting, film, literature, photography and more) including work by Nobel Prize winning poet Wislawa Szymborska along with a roster of 87 poets from all over the world including Suzanne Lummis, Laurel Ann Bogen, Jerry Quickly, Brendan Constantine, Gerald Locklin, Robert Wynne and many more, edited by Los Angeles poet Rick Lupert

      Click here for more and to order

      Publish your book with CreateSpace

      Publish your book with CreateSpace

      Lupert: It's The Website - & - Poetry Super Highway
      http://PoetrySuperHighway.com/

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic