14854POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY a poetry writing prompt-a-day / today's from Hal Sirowitz!

  • Rick Lupert
    Apr 5, 2014
      Poetry Super Highway Weekly Newsletter
      Poetry Super Highway
      • A Writing Prompt-A-Day for National Poetry Month
        We're posting a poetry writing prompt every day during the month of April chosen from dozens of prompts that were submitted to us. (We've got a few open spots at the end of the month so if you feel like submitting a writing prompt, do so here.) Check out all the prompts so far on our website here or on our facebook page (where you can also post the poems you write in response to these prompts in the comments. [heck we're even posting links to the prompt on our Twitter feed. Thanks to the many people who submitted writing prompts. We hope you are inspired to write many new poems this month!

        P.S. Today's writing prompt is from PSH Poet of the Week Alum Hal Sirowitz
      • (author of the famed "Mother Said" poetry collection.) Check it out here.

      THE POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY WEEKLY VIRTUAL UPDATE
      PoetrySuperHighway.com | Facebook | Twitter
      Issue # 854 - ISSN: 1523-6587.

      April 7-13, 2014

      this week:

      POETS OF THE WEEK

      This week's featured poets are: Mike Meraz and Shelby Stephenson:

      Mike Meraz Los Angeles, California) has been published online and in print. His new book "43" is now available at Amazon and Epic Rites Press.

      Shelby Stephenson (Benson, North Carolina) is the author of The Hunger of Freedom (2014) which is available from Red Dashboard (www.reddashboard.com) He lives on a small farm where he grew up and where he was born at home, on Paul's Hill, in the coastal plain of North Carolina, near the town of Benson.

      Read their work HERE.

      NEW POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY LINKS

      Here are all of the new sites added to the Poetry Super Highway's Poetry and Writing links sections:

      Find thousands more links to poetry and writing websites in our online Link Directory. Click HERE to add your poetry/writing website to our directory.

      NEW ONLINE POETRY RESOURCES LINKS THIS WEEK:

      League of Minnesota Poets
      The League of Minnesota Poets (LOMP) was established in 1934. The purpose of LOMP “…to make Minnesota poetry conscious, and conscious to its own poets.”

      Take It To The Street Poetry
      The concept of our project is about offering words and art to those that have limited access to these gifts. Getting the words to those that are in confined environments, living on the edge, the homeless and lonely, etc. We share our art, print and ”drop” the volumes in random places around the world, in hopes the lucky ones to get them will enjoy the moments of reading and perhaps start a spark or rekindle their admiration for the arts.

      Tree Killer Ink
      Tree Killer Ink is an aggressive, forward-thinking distributor of independently published literature, music and art. As more and more independent retailers are being crushed by the big-box stores, the independent voice is being silenced in the mainstream marketplace. The cultural impact is significant!

      POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY BOOKSTORE

      The End of Ambition by J de SalvoCitrus-Inspired Ceramics by K J Hannah Greenberg featured this week in the the PSH Bookstore.

      Hannah Greenberg crafts her poems like a master chef makes a confection. She starts with a perfectly baked crust of theme, be it whimsical or profound; pours in a rich filling of image and story; covers all with a titillating topping, a lush and lascivious whipping of words (read these aloud for sheer joy of the sound). Any one of these poems is the perfect dessert to complete a poetry feast. Read with a double espresso, though; you'll want your eyes wide open, so as not to miss a single, delicious crumb.
      MH Clay, Poetry Editor
      www.MadSwirl.com

      Click here for more and to order

      Paperback, 130 pages, Aldrich Press, September 6, 2013

      UPCOMING POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY LIVE EVENTS

      PSH LiveWe host a monthly, live, online open reading and other special shows which you can listen to and participate in here: http://poetrysuperhighway.com/psh/psh-live/

      If you can't make the live time, you can also listen to any past show by visiting poetrysuperhighway.com/pshlive.html and clicking on the show's title. (As well as subscribe to all of our shows through iTunes or any other software you use to listen to podcasts.

      Upcoming Shows:

      April 2014 PSH Live Open Reading
      Sunday, April 27 ~ 2:00 pm (pacific)
      Join our monthly open reading by calling in to read a poem or just listening to poets from all over the world! No content or style restrictions. Tell us what's going on in your poetry world: Your latest book, an upcoming reading or a call for submissions. Join in!

      Recently Archived broadcasts:

      April (But Really Late March) 2014 PSH Live Open Reading
      Sunday, March 30
      Great show this month which opened with legendary L.A. poet and Carma Bum S.A. Griffin who read a poem and told us all about his Poetry Bomb project. We also had poetry from Lake Forest, CA, Birmingham, Alabamaa, Westerville, Ohio and Los Angeles, California. We closed with a spoken word track from beloved and missed poet Wanda Coleman. Check out the whole show in the archive!

      March 2014 PSH Live Open Reading
      Sunday, March 2
      This month we welcomed callers reading poetry from New York City and Merrick, Long Island, New York, a second call from Australia, Westerville, Ohio and Birmingham, Alabama…it turned into our "Oscars" edition for some crazy reason. Check it out in the archive.

      Poetry Super Highway Live would love to host your reading, interview, contest promotion or other poetry/writing related show. Please e-mail your show idea to Rick@..., and we'll take it from there.

      POETRY CLASSIFIEDS
      For information on placing Poetry Related classifieds ads on the Poetry Super Highway web page and weekly e-mail outburst, send an e-mail to: classifieds@...

      Winning WritersTOM HOWARD/JOHN H. REID FICTION & ESSAY CONTEST - LAST CALL!

      22nd year. $3,000 in cash prizes, including two top awards of $1,000 each. Seeks short stories and essays up to 6,000 words each.

      All entries that win cash prizes will be published on WinningWriters.com (nearly one million page views per year) and announced in the Winning Writers Newsletter, with over 50,000 subscribers.

      Both published and unpublished work accepted. Fee per entry is $16. Submit online by April 30. Judge: Arthur Powers.

      Winning Writers is one of the "101 Best Websites for Writers" (Writer's Digest, 2005-2013). See guidelines, past winners, and enter at https://www.winningwriters.com/tomstory

      Follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/winningwriters

      ...Alex M. Frankel reading at the Second Sunday Poetry Series in Pasadena

      SECOND SUNDAY POETRY SERIES in Los Angeles - New Venue! This open mic poetry reading series, hosted by Alex M. Frankel, takes place on the second Sunday of every month at the Studio Theatre At St Denis Building (3433 Cahuenga Blvd, Los Angeles 90068). Great poets are featured. They perform their work, sell and sign books and mingle with audience members and open mic participants. Admission is free.

      Next reading: Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 5 pm. Featuring poets from the poetry anthology Returning Soldiers Speak. For more about the series please email alexmfrankel2000@... The Studio Theatre At St Denis Building is located at 3433 Cahuenga Blvd, in Los Angeles 90068. Check out website, search for "Second Sunday Poetry"

      POETS: IMPROVE YOUR POETRY!

      POETRY Workshop of ten years duration now inviting new members. BRING ten copies of one original poem to each session for analysis and helpful suggestions. Located in the Beyond Baroque Literary Arts Center, 681 Venice Blvd, in Venice, we are the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Workshop. Facilitated by Bob Foster and Alex M. Frankel. Every Saturday 1:30 to 4:30 pm. Participation is free. Contact alexmfrankel2000@... or Robert Foster, 323 848-9671.

      Poets, Writers, Dreamers...

      DREAM QUEST ONE POETRY & WRITING CONTEST is open to anyone who loves expressing their innermost thoughts and feelings into the beautiful literary art of poetry and/or writing a story that is worth telling everyone.

      Guidelines: (1) Write a poem, thirty lines or fewer on any subject, form or style. And/or (2) Write a short story five pages maximum length, single or double line spacing, on any subject or theme, fiction or non-fiction. Multiple entries are accepted.

      Prizes: Writing First Prize is $500; Second: $250; Third: $100. Poetry First Prize: $250; Second: $125; Third: $50.

      Entry fees: $5 per poem/$10 per story.

      Postmark deadline: July 31, 2014

      How to enter, visit: http://www.dreamquestone.com

      ...Alex M. Frankel reading at the Second Sunday Poetry Series in Pasadena

      Birth Mother Mercy by Alex Frankel

      This is Alex M. Frankel's first full-length poetry collection, available now from Lummox Press, www.lummoxpress.com/lc/birth-mother-mercy. It is a book about maternal abandonment and betrayal and loss lightened with a few limericks and a bit of satire. Judith Hall has written, about Frankel's recent chapbook, My Father's Lady, Wearing Black: "Alex M. Frankel reminds us, in sizzling poems gathered here, that grief, in its fervor, if actually full, works against the grain of loss. Such contradictory intensities enthrall and also serve, at least in Frankel's hands, as a kind of American catharsis—more violent than pure."

      In Transit: Poetry of People on the Move’.

      Looking for poets for submission to a perfect bound Anthology to be titled 'In Transit: Poetry of People on the Move’.
      The theme is very broad...it is what it means to you.
      Here is your chance to be part of a special volume of Poetry.

      See 'Submission Guidelines' and 'Contests' before submitting.
      The Publication will be a perfect bound soft covered book of approximately 100 pages. Prizes will also be awarded.
      Visit www.bordertownpress.com for details about the publication and our staff. We are looking for B&B photos that fit the theme also.

      We are also willing to review full manuscripts for publication or advice.

      Ekphrastia Gone Wild: Poems inspired by art - edited by Rick Lupert Ekphrastia Gone Wild: poems inspired by art edited by Rick Lupert

      Ekphrastia Gone Wild (Ain’t Got No Press, July, 2013) is an anthology of ekphrastic poetry – poetry inspired by other works of art (including painting, film, literature, photography and more) including work by Nobel Prize winning poet Wislawa Szymborska along with a roster of 87 poets from all over the world including Suzanne Lummis, Laurel Ann Bogen, Jerry Quickly, Brendan Constantine, Gerald Locklin, Robert Wynne and many more, edited by Los Angeles poet Rick Lupert

      Click here for more and to order

      Publish your book with CreateSpace

      Nothing in New England is New by Rick LupertNothing in New England is New: The Poet’s Experiences in New England, America

      “Rick Lupert is a writer’s chef. He used to be a writer’s writer. Tomorrow he could be dead. You will be pleased at the way he masterfully sees something and then somehow manages to find a piece of paper and then write down something that is in no way reflective of what he truly saw. He is like a liar and a simile. If you want to laugh, there’s this book or anything on NBC pre-1986.” ~ Derrick Brown

      Nothing in New England is New is Rick Lupert’s 15th collection of poetry and latest in his poetic travelogue series. This edition takes you through such exotic American locations as Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Salem, Boston and Plymouth, Massachusetts, and Providence Rhode Island where they set the river on fire. Ride with Lupert’s trademark wit down the highways of New England. Unexpected turns will be taken, Ekphrastic Observations will be made. You will laugh. You will question your own underwear. You will want to set your local river on fire. As always, clothing is optional. (200 Pages, Ain’t Got No Press, March 2013)

      Learn more about Nothing in New England is New, read sample poems and get your own copy here.

      Publish your book with CreateSpace

      Affordable Website Hosting

      Lupert: It's The Website - & - Poetry Super Highway
      http://PoetrySuperHighway.com/