14847POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY send us your poetry writing prompt for National Poetry Month!

  • Rick Lupert
    Mar 22, 2014
      Poetry Super Highway Weekly Newsletter
      Poetry Super Highway
      • Send us a poetry writing prompt!
        As part of National Poetry Month Poetry Super Highway will offer our second annual Poetry Writing Prompt-a-Day beginning on April 1st. Where will we get these prompts? From you, of course! Submit your best poetry writing prompt below…Get our creative juices flowing…Send us in unexpected directions…Help us discover poetry where we never knew it existed.

        Fill out the form here (one submission per person) and we’ll choose one every day throughout April to publish on the Poetry Super Highway website and on our Facebook page. If we use your prompt, we’ll give you credit as well as include your website link.

      THE POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY WEEKLY VIRTUAL UPDATE
      PoetrySuperHighway.com | Facebook | Twitter
      Issue # 852 - ISSN: 1523-6587.

      March 24-30, 2014

      this week:
      • This week featuring poets from Arriola, Colorado and Virginia Beach, Virginia.

      • 4 new poetry and writing website links added this week.

      • The End of Ambition by J de Salvo featured this week in the the PSH Bookstore.

      • PSH LIVE - Next show: Open Reading, Sun. March. 30, 2pm (pacific) - Next Week!

      • Poetry / Writing related Classified Ads.

      POETS OF THE WEEK

      This week's featured poets are: David Feela and Bruce Deitrick Price:

      David Feela (Arriola, Colorado) recently retired from the classroom. A chapbook, Thought Experiments, won the Maverick Press Southwest Poets’ prize, then his first full length poetry collection, The Home Atlas, appeared in 2009, but it didn’t win anything. A collection of essays, How Delicate These Arches (Raven’s Eye Press) managed to be chosen as a finalist for the Colorado Book Award, but they ended up giving the prize to a different book of creative nonfiction. Still, for four decades he continues writing, even columns, which appear regularly in the Denver Post, the High Country News, the Durango Telegraph, and the Four Corners Free Press.

      Bruce Deitrick Price (Virginia Beach, Virginia) is an author, artist, poet, and education activist. He’s the founder of Improve-Education.org and has 300 education articles on web. His five books are: “Into The Unknown” (nonfiction), “Ralph” (novel), “American Dreams” (novel), “Too Easy” (novel), and “The Education Enigma” (essays). “Too Easy” is noteworthy because published by Simon & Schuster (in 1994) and translated into French, German, and Dutch. It was hailed by Kinky Friedman as “the unwed mother of all page turners.” In high school, Price won the literary prize for his poetry and has been writing poetry ever since. “Theoryland,” a satire of academic retensions, might be the best long poem in contemporary literature.

      Read their work HERE.

      NEW POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY LINKS

      Here are all of the new sites added to the Poetry Super Highway's Poetry and Writing links sections:

      Find thousands more links to poetry and writing websites in our online Link Directory. Click HERE to add your poetry/writing website to our directory.

      NEW ONLINE POETRY RESOURCES LINKS THIS WEEK:

      Colorado Poets Center
      This is a directory of writers who have published poetry and who live and work in Colorado or have strong ties to the state. This site contains Colorado poets' biographical and bibliographical material, selections from published work, and availability for readings and/or working in schools.

      NEW INDIVIDUAL POETRY PAGES LINKS THIS WEEK:

      Words in the light
      F.G.M.'s Blog, his Poems in English & French, and more!

      Feelasophy
      Current poems and notes by David Feela

      Lit4U
      An anthology of modern, experimental, literary but non-academic poetry, prose, essays and fiction by Bruce Deitrick Price

      POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY BOOKSTORE

      The End of Ambition by J de SalvoThe End of Ambition by J de Salvo featured this week in the the PSH Bookstore.

      J de Salvo is a proud native of Los Angeles. His poetry, fiction, and articles have been published extensively in print and online. He is the editor and publisher of the Bicycle Review and the Pedestrian Press. He lives in Oakland, CA.

      Click here for more and to order

      Paperback, 136 pages, CreateSpace, February, 2014

      UPCOMING POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY LIVE EVENTS

      PSH LiveWe host a monthly, live, online open reading and other special shows which you can listen to and participate in here: http://poetrysuperhighway.com/psh/psh-live/

      If you can't make the live time, you can also listen to any past show by visiting poetrysuperhighway.com/pshlive.html and clicking on the show's title. (As well as subscribe to all of our shows through iTunes or any other software you use to listen to podcasts.

      Upcoming Shows:

      April (But Really Late March) 2014 PSH Live Open Reading
      Sunday, March 30 ~ 2:00 pm (pacific) ~ Next Sunday!
      Join our monthly open reading by calling in to read a poem or just listening to poets from all over the world! No content or style restrictions. Tell us what's going on in your poetry world: Your latest book, an upcoming reading or a call for submissions. Join in!

      Recently Archived broadcasts:

      March 2014 PSH Live Open Reading
      Sunday, March 2
      This month we welcomed callers reading poetry from New York City and Merrick, Long Island, New York, a second call from Australia, Westerville, Ohio and Birmingham, Alabama…it turned into our "Oscars" edition for some crazy reason. Check it out in the archive.

      February 2014 PSH Live Open Reading
      Sunday, February 2
      This month’s show began with a brief tribute to Philip Seymour Halfman (PSH!!) and featured our first ever caller from Australia! We also had poets read work from Washington, DC, New York City, NY, Birmingham, AL, Plainsfield, NJ and Westerville, OH. Click on the show title to hear it in the archive.

      Poetry Super Highway Live would love to host your reading, interview, contest promotion or other poetry/writing related show. Please e-mail your show idea to Rick@..., and we'll take it from there.

      POETRY CLASSIFIEDS
      For information on placing Poetry Related classifieds ads on the Poetry Super Highway web page and weekly e-mail outburst, send an e-mail to: classifieds@...

      Winning WritersWERGLE FLOMP HUMOR POETRY CONTEST - LAST CALL! (no fee)

      13th annual free contest. $2,000 in cash prizes, including a top prize of $1,000. No fee to enter. Submit one humor poem online by April 1 deadline. Both published and unpublished work welcome.

      All entries that win cash prizes will be published on WinningWriters.com (nearly one million page views per year) and announced in the Winning Writers Newsletter, with over 50,000 subscribers. Final judge: Jendi Reiter.

      Follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/winningwriters

      ...Alex M. Frankel reading at the Second Sunday Poetry Series in Pasadena

      SECOND SUNDAY POETRY SERIES in Los Angeles - New Venue! This open mic poetry reading series, hosted by Alex M. Frankel, takes place on the second Sunday of every month at the Studio Theatre At St Denis Building (3433 Cahuenga Blvd, Los Angeles 90068). Great poets are featured. They perform their work, sell and sign books and mingle with audience members and open mic participants. Admission is free.

      Next reading: Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 5 pm. Featuring poets from the poetry anthology Returning Soldiers Speak. For more about the series please email alexmfrankel2000@... The Studio Theatre At St Denis Building is located at 3433 Cahuenga Blvd, in Los Angeles 90068. Check out website, search for "Second Sunday Poetry"

      ...The Typewriter Keeps me Awake at Night
      The Typewriter Keeps Me Awake At Night:

      This is Marcel Feldmar’s latest “official” self-published book of poems: a 90 page paperback available now from Createspace: (https://www.createspace.com/4684600) — Marcel Feldmar's poetry deals with various views through different shaped windows. Dealing with themes of light and dark, death and life, love and loss, as well as the occasional lighthearted observations, Marcel references music, alcohol, travel, and literature with a Gothic romanticism and a surreal wink. From traveling through the Whiskey trees to finding a home in an exit sign, Marcel picks up unusual images and finds perfect places to fit them in.

      Marcel spent a couple of summers in an institution called The Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics, and many nights writing by candlelight at bars across the country, and ended up living in Los Angeles, where his words get caught in traffic.

      ...Alex M. Frankel reading at the Second Sunday Poetry Series in Pasadena

      Birth Mother Mercy by Alex Frankel

      This is Alex M. Frankel's first full-length poetry collection, available now from Lummox Press, www.lummoxpress.com/lc/birth-mother-mercy. It is a book about maternal abandonment and betrayal and loss lightened with a few limericks and a bit of satire. Judith Hall has written, about Frankel's recent chapbook, My Father's Lady, Wearing Black: "Alex M. Frankel reminds us, in sizzling poems gathered here, that grief, in its fervor, if actually full, works against the grain of loss. Such contradictory intensities enthrall and also serve, at least in Frankel's hands, as a kind of American catharsis—more violent than pure."

      In Transit: Poetry of People on the Move’.

      Looking for poets for submission to a perfect bound Anthology to be titled 'In Transit: Poetry of People on the Move’.
      The theme is very broad...it is what it means to you.
      Here is your chance to be part of a special volume of Poetry.

      See 'Submission Guidelines' and 'Contests' before submitting.
      The Publication will be a perfect bound soft covered book of approximately 100 pages. Prizes will also be awarded.
      Visit www.bordertownpress.com for details about the publication and our staff. We are looking for B&B photos that fit the theme also.

      We are also willing to review full manuscripts for publication or advice.

      Poets, Writers, Dreamers...

      DREAM QUEST ONE POETRY & WRITING CONTEST is open to anyone who loves expressing their innermost thoughts and feelings into the beautiful literary art of poetry and/or writing a story that is worth telling everyone.

      Guidelines: (1) Write a poem, thirty lines or fewer on any subject, form or style. And/or (2) Write a short story five pages maximum length, single or double line spacing, on any subject or theme, fiction or non-fiction. Multiple entries are accepted.

      Prizes: Writing First Prize is $500; Second: $250; Third: $100. Poetry First Prize: $250; Second: $125; Third: $50.

      Entry fees: $5 per poem/$10 per story.

      Postmark deadline: July 31, 2014

      How to enter, visit: http://www.dreamquestone.com

      POETS: IMPROVE YOUR POETRY!

      POETRY Workshop of ten years duration now inviting new members. BRING ten copies of one original poem to each session for analysis and helpful suggestions. Located in the Beyond Baroque Literary Arts Center, 681 Venice Blvd, in Venice, we are the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Workshop. Facilitated by Bob Foster and Alex M. Frankel. Every Saturday 1:30 to 4:30 pm. Participation is free. Contact alexmfrankel2000@... or Robert Foster, 323 848-9671.

      Nothing in New England is New by Rick LupertNothing in New England is New: The Poet’s Experiences in New England, America

      “Rick Lupert is a writer’s chef. He used to be a writer’s writer. Tomorrow he could be dead. You will be pleased at the way he masterfully sees something and then somehow manages to find a piece of paper and then write down something that is in no way reflective of what he truly saw. He is like a liar and a simile. If you want to laugh, there’s this book or anything on NBC pre-1986.” ~ Derrick Brown

      Nothing in New England is New is Rick Lupert’s 15th collection of poetry and latest in his poetic travelogue series. This edition takes you through such exotic American locations as Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Salem, Boston and Plymouth, Massachusetts, and Providence Rhode Island where they set the river on fire. Ride with Lupert’s trademark wit down the highways of New England. Unexpected turns will be taken, Ekphrastic Observations will be made. You will laugh. You will question your own underwear. You will want to set your local river on fire. As always, clothing is optional. (200 Pages, Ain’t Got No Press, March 2013)

      Learn more about Nothing in New England is New, read sample poems and get your own copy here.

      Publish your book with CreateSpace

      Affordable Website Hosting

      Ekphrastia Gone Wild: Poems inspired by art - edited by Rick Lupert Ekphrastia Gone Wild: poems inspired by art edited by Rick Lupert

      Ekphrastia Gone Wild (Ain’t Got No Press, July, 2013) is an anthology of ekphrastic poetry – poetry inspired by other works of art (including painting, film, literature, photography and more) including work by Nobel Prize winning poet Wislawa Szymborska along with a roster of 87 poets from all over the world including Suzanne Lummis, Laurel Ann Bogen, Jerry Quickly, Brendan Constantine, Gerald Locklin, Robert Wynne and many more, edited by Los Angeles poet Rick Lupert

      Click here for more and to order

      Publish your book with CreateSpace

      Lupert: It's The Website - & - Poetry Super Highway
      http://PoetrySuperHighway.com/