5445George's prompts - Response from Ruth

  • RUTH
    Sep 1, 2013
      Here are responses to George's last two prompts. Let me know if you think I was able to follow the form he outlined. I don't say I wrote a good poem, just trying to get the format right. Poem is below his description.

      8-28-13 - Gwawdodyn:
      The gwawdodyn is a Welsh poetic form with a couple variations.

      However, both versions are comprised of quatrains (4-line stanzas) that have a 9/9/10/9 syllable pattern and matching end rhymes on lines 1, 2, and 4.

      The variations are made in that third line:
      * One version has an internal rhyme within the third line. So there's a rhyme somewhere within the third line with the end rhyme on the third line.
      * The other version has an internal rhyme within the third line that rhymes with an internal rhyme in the fourth line.

      In both cases, the rhyme starts somewhere in the middle of the third line and it is a unique rhyme to the end rhyme in lines 1, 2, and 4.

      Here's a possible diagram for the first version (with the x's symbolizing syllables):
      1-xxxxxxxxa
      2-xxxxxxxxa
      3-xxxxbxxxxb
      4-xxxxxxxxa

      If you are careful to feed your pets
      They are thankful for what they may get
      But feeding them snacks gets all out of whack
      When it makes them get fat I would bet!

      ---------------------------------

      Lai:
      The lai is another French form.

      It's a nine-line poem or stanza that uses an "a" and "b" rhyme following this pattern:

      aabaabaab.

      The lines with an "a" rhyme use 5 syllables;
      the "b" rhyme lines have 2 syllables.

      It feels kind of like organized skeltonic verse.

      my pride won't allow
      my hurt to show now
      too new
      dark thoughts hide in clouds