Re: information

  • goodmanherb@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
      Jeff,

      Thanks. My plan as of now is to fly into Prague on July 4, make my way through Vienna, then on to Budapest to arrive there around July 8 or 9. I then have a flight back to Texas on July 13. So I have 4 -5 days to make my way to Podhajce from Budapest and back. I am probably booking this week...and will just pray that over the next few months I can get one of the two Alex's, your friend in Budapest, or Meylakh or someone will be available at a price to take me / guide me on my journey to Podhajce. Your help is most appreciated.

      If anybody wants to join in.... I would be happy to share costs out of Budapest around July 8 or 9.

      As you may know....this board truncates email addresses...so I have been unable to contact Alex Dunajev or Meylakh...because everytime somebody tries to send...it is truncated. I do not use the @yahoo email address for me above...as I only got it to be able to access this board. Please send to me their email addresses at ( and I am breaking this in hopes you get the full email... ) herb.goodman@
      e2mpartners.com

      Jeff...thanks so much for your help

      Herb Goodman

      --- In podhajce@yahoogroups.com, JK <jeffckellner@...> wrote:

      > hi Herb
      >
      > I live in Czech Republic and I have been to Podhajce twice (I am a native born US citizen)...there is no direct flight to Lviv from the US, and the road trip from Lviv to Podhajce is 2 hours...there is no good bus or train connection between Lviv and Podhajce...a car would need to be hired in Lviv...when I hired Alex Dunajev to drive me from Lviv to Podhajce (and guide me around) in 1999 it cost $125, so maybe $200-250 now? Meylakh may have access to a van in Lviv (via the Jewish community) but the gas and driver would still cost about 100...
      >
      > If several people go, what may be the best is a flight to Budapest and a rented van in Budapest (the air ticket would be cheaper but Budapest to Podhajce is 8 hours).
      >
      > I have a Jewish friend in Budapest who works in transportation and I could find out the exact cost...gas is $6 a gallon here :-(
      >
      > --Jeff

    • JK
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 12, 2011
        Hi Herb,

        If you intend to fly to Prague and visit Vienna, what may be the easiest is a train from Vienna to Lviv, with a stop in Budapest, if you are interested in this equally nice city...

        if a discount train ticket (Eurorail pass) exists for central/eastern europe that might be the cheapest and easist way to get there...the roads arent so good between Hungary and Ukraine, so maybe a car is too complicated...for scheduling buses and or trains between Prague and Vienna, try this site, which has an English version:

        http://jizdnirady.idnes.cz/vlakyautobusy/spojeni/

        The Prague-Vienna buses are $10-20 each way...if they allow you a stopover, maybe buying a Prague-Budapest ticket is cheaper?

        Prague-Lviv buses go through Poland or Slovakia, so I dont think you can get a Prague-Budapest-Lviv ticket in one purchase...trains prices are based on the number of kilometers...

        for Vienna to Lviv, try: www.obb.at Austrian transport is much more expensive...

        The buses are the cheapest, and sometimes the fastest...as the train has to switch wheels at the Ukrainian border (the Soviet trains have a bigger scale).

        What may be the easiest then is a train or bus from Budapest to Lviv, and hiring Alex Dunajev in Lviv...he will drive to Podhajce from there...

        From Vienna or Budapest you will lose a day travelling to Lviv, so 4 days will get you two days in Lviv/Podhajce...I suggest staying one nite in Podhajce so you have some time to check the place out the second day (one my first trip I stayed only one day and really needed more time).

        sorry if this sounds complicated but with so many countries to go thru to get to Podhajce, and the poor infrastructure, it is. But its an exciting trip and unforgettable!