Re: [podhajce] Re: Trip to Podhajce

  • JK
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 5, 2011
      sorry, what information, Linda?

      I recommend contacting Meylakh Sheykhet in Lviv, Ukraine...he works with the Jewish community there and can get you housing and transportation if you use Lviv as a base:

      He is a real tzaddik and a sweet man. I think there are several articles about him on the web, just google his name.

      regards from Brno,
      Jeff

      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 5, 2011
        We will be arriving in Austin Jan. 6th and staying at the Four Seasons Hotel under the name of Sigmund & Linda Soudack.  We will be leaving Austin on Jan. 9th.  That would be wonderful if they could get in touch.  Linda

        My cousin David Perl lives in Austin. I will make sure he checks this board and gets in touch with you.

        Herb Goodman

        • CLS316@aol.com
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 5, 2011
            Hi all,
            Yes, I agree that Meylach would be a great asset. I spoke to him not long ago about another group member who is planning a trip to Podhajce.
            Warmest regards,
            Cindy Singer
            From: JK <jeffckellner@...>
            Sender: podhajce@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 14:06:44 -0800 (PST)
            To: <podhajce@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: podhajce@yahoogroups.com

          • goodmanherb@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 5, 2011
              Jeff
              Sorry to bother you.. I am new to this whole thing...Meylakh's email is not fully displayed.Does he check this board...or will the email somehow get to him?

              Herb Goodman

              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 5, 2011
                Meylach's address is meylach@...
                He is not a member of this board but will reply to your emails. He's involved in many projects which keep him very busy. But, he will read and reply quickly. I am very fond of him and we have known one another for more than 10 years.
                Cindy
                From: goodmanherb@...
                Sender: podhajce@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 23:09:20 -0000
                To: <podhajce@yahoogroups.com>

              • CirrusJSB@aol.com
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 7, 2011
                  Herb (and David),

                  Welcome to our virtual shtetl.  I am a Podhajcer through my mother's side.  My grandfather was an Einstoss/Grinberg (emigrated 1913); my grandmother was a Rosmarin.

                  You mentioned Buenos Aires.  One of my mother's cousins, Paula Keller, resettled in Buenos Aires.  She was a physician.  Just in case anyone can make the connection.

                  Jon Brooks

> [...]

                  > If interested parties can agree on a date, we can all meet in a convenient city (Budapest?) and drive there.  This may be the best approach (as any flight to Lviv requires two expensive flights and is still 2 hours from Podhajce by car). There is no Lviv-Podhajce train service and the Lviv-Podhajce bus trip was something like 4 hours...yeesh.
                  >
                  > The hotel is simple in Podhajce but could facilitate us.  It is really worth staying a few days...one day wont do and you'll want to stay longer.
                  >
                  > Sadly the one great man to meet in Podhajce, Dr. Bohdan Metik died last year.  Apart from speaking English, he had many fond memories of prewar Podhajce life and counted several Jews among his friends...one of which, Alex Kimmel has a website and I believe the two spoke after 60 years of silence!

                • zimet julia
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 12, 2011
                    Jon hi,

                    My fathers' mother was Mathilda Grinberg (Zimet - nee Grinberg), born in Podhajce. I have no further information about her, her parents, brothers, sisters, etc. Would be interested in any information on Grinberg family.
                    Thank you
                    Julia Zimet

                  • CirrusJSB@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 18, 2011
                      Hi Julia,

                      I think we've tried to make the link over the years, without success (so far).

                      Hope all is well.

                      Jon

> [...]

                      > If interested parties can agree on a date, we can all meet in a convenient city (Budapest?) and drive there.  This may be the best approach (as any flight to Lviv requires two expensive flights and is still 2 hours from Podhajce by car). There is no Lviv-Podhajce train service and the Lviv-Podhajce bus trip was something like 4 hours...yeesh.
                      >
                      > The hotel is simple in Podhajce but could facilitate us.  It is really worth staying a few days...one day wont do and you'll want to stay longer.
                      >
                      > Sadly the one great man to meet in Podhajce, Dr. Bohdan Metik died last year.  Apart from speaking English, he had many fond memories of prewar Podhajce life and counted several Jews among his friends...one of which, Alex Kimmel has a website and I believe the two spoke after 60 years of silence!

                    • Elissa Sampson
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 19, 2011
                        For the shul there, has anyone approached the Jewish World Monuments Fund, Sam Gruber heads it?
                        -Elissa Kellner Sampson

> [...]

                        > If interested parties can agree on a date, we can all meet in a convenient city (Budapest?) and drive there.  This may be the best approach (as any flight to Lviv requires two expensive flights and is still 2 hours from Podhajce by car). There is no Lviv-Podhajce train service and the Lviv-Podhajce bus trip was something like 4 hours...yeesh.
                        >
                        > The hotel is simple in Podhajce but could facilitate us.  It is really worth staying a few days...one day wont do and you'll want to stay longer.
                        >
                        > Sadly the one great man to meet in Podhajce, Dr. Bohdan Metik died last year.  Apart from speaking English, he had many fond memories of prewar Podhajce life and counted several Jews among his friends...one of which, Alex Kimmel has a website and I believe the two spoke after 60 years of silence!

                      • JK
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 19, 2011
                          Hi Elissa!

                          I was thinking of writing him...I may have already a few weeks ago. I definitely wrote these people:

                          Hope all is well,
                          Jeff

> [...]

                          > If interested parties can agree on a date, we can all meet in a convenient city (Budapest?) and drive there.  This may be the best approach (as any flight to Lviv requires two expensive flights and is still 2 hours from Podhajce by car). There is no Lviv-Podhajce train service and the Lviv-Podhajce bus trip was something like 4 hours...yeesh.
                          >
                          > The hotel is simple in Podhajce but could facilitate us.  It is really worth staying a few days...one day wont do and you'll want to stay longer.
                          >
                          > Sadly the one great man to meet in Podhajce, Dr. Bohdan Metik died last year.  Apart from speaking English, he had many fond memories of prewar Podhajce life and counted several Jews among his friends...one of which, Alex Kimmel has a website and I believe the two spoke after 60 years of silence!

                        • Elissa Sampson
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 19, 2011
                            use my name; he knows me - elissa

> [...]

                            > If interested parties can agree on a date, we can all meet in a convenient city (Budapest?) and drive there.  This may be the best approach (as any flight to Lviv requires two expensive flights and is still 2 hours from Podhajce by car). There is no Lviv-Podhajce train service and the Lviv-Podhajce bus trip was something like 4 hours...yeesh.
                            >
                            > The hotel is simple in Podhajce but could facilitate us.  It is really worth staying a few days...one day wont do and you'll want to stay longer.
                            >
                            > Sadly the one great man to meet in Podhajce, Dr. Bohdan Metik died last year.  Apart from speaking English, he had many fond memories of prewar Podhajce life and counted several Jews among his friends...one of which, Alex Kimmel has a website and I believe the two spoke after 60 years of silence!

                          • JK
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 20, 2011
                              thanks for the reference!

                              did you check out the polish documentary? a closer study of the war in Galicia reveals a ferocious 4 way war between the Nazis, Poles, Ukrainians, and Soviets...yeesh.