information

  • Linda Soudack
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 16, 2010
      We are taking a trip to Podhajce next year hopefully.  We would appreciate finding a guide who speaks English and wish to know if anyone might recommend someone to us.  Any information would be appreciated.  Probably arriving in Lviv, and going from there.  Thanks Linda Soudack
    • CLS316@aol.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 17, 2010
        Dear Linda,
        You may contact Meylach Sheykhet, who I have known for more than a decade, by email to meylach@...
        He knows Podhajce well. He lives in Lviv.
        Good Luck with your plans and hope this helps.
        Best,
        Cindy Singer
        From: "Linda Soudack" <soudack@...>
        Sender: podhajce@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 20:13:19 -0500
        To: <podhajce@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: podhajce@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [podhajce] information

        We are taking a trip to Podhajce next year hopefully.  We would appreciate finding a guide who speaks English and wish to know if anyone might recommend someone to us.  Any information would be appreciated.  Probably arriving in Lviv, and going from there.  Thanks Linda Soudack
      • Francine Shapiro
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 17, 2010
          Alex Dunai has made a specialty of this. I used him years ago and found him really good.

          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 17, 2010

             Fantastic!  Do you have his contact information.  Linda  Thank you.

            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 17, 2010
              Thank you so much for this information.  I will keep in touch.  Linda

              From: "Linda Soudack" <soudack@...>
              Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 20:13:19 -0500
              ReplyTo: podhajce@yahoogroups.com

              We are taking a trip to Podhajce next year hopefully.  We would appreciate finding a guide who speaks English and wish to know if anyone might recommend someone to us.  Any information would be appreciated.  Probably arriving in Lviv, and going from there.  Thanks Linda Soudack

            • karen laureno
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 17, 2010
                I wish you a wonderful trip!  I want to hear all about it.  You may inspire me to do the same!  Karen

                From: "Linda Soudack" <soudack@...>
                Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 20:13:19 -0500
                ReplyTo: podhajce@yahoogroups.com

                We are taking a trip to Podhajce next year hopefully.  We would appreciate finding a guide who speaks English and wish to know if anyone might recommend someone to us.  Any information would be appreciated.  Probably arriving in Lviv, and going from there.  Thanks Linda Soudack

              • Jean Rosenbaum
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 17, 2010

                  I have two email addresses for Alex Dunai

                  He provided a guide and car + driver for a trip I made from Lviv to Podhajce a number of years ago.  I was very pleased with the service.

                  Jean Rosenbaum
                  Houston, TX
                   Fantastic!  Do you have his contact information.  Linda  Thank you.

                  From: Linda Soudack <soudack@...>
                  To: podhajce@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 3:13 AM

                  We are taking a trip to Podhajce next year hopefully.  We would appreciate finding a guide who speaks English and wish to know if anyone might recommend someone to us.  Any information would be appreciated.  Probably arriving in Lviv, and going from there.  Thanks Linda Soudack

                • JK
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 18, 2010
                    I can recommend Alex too...fantastic, friendly. He was $100-150 a day back in 1999...I forgot exactly how much but in that range...

                    he drives you in his nice car to Podhajce, the town cant really be reached by mass transit (the Lviv-Podhajce bus will take a few hours). he translates for you and knows some people there.

                    But for a real special (and more local) treat, there is a retired English-speaking doctor in Podhajce who will also give you a tour (he wont ask for money but $50 is a reasonable price to pay...he is very poor so the $ would be deeply appreciated). He will introduce you to many people in the town.

                    He has a friend in Ternopil named Glaser who grew up in Podhajce.

                    He is Dr. Bodan Metyk and I will send you his tel # when I find it).

                    The one local hotel in Podhajce (on the main square opposite the new church) costs like $20 a night and I recommend staying  a nite or two...one afternoon in the town really wont do...

                    There is the family of a righteous gentile in the town by the name of Sikorski.

                    And of course meet with Meylakh...he will find you free or cheap housing in Lviv...Hotel George in Lviv shouldnt be too expensive...maybe 25-40 a nite?

                    Also contact Rabbi Bald and attend a Shabbat with his group if possible!

                    regards,
                    Jeff

                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 18, 2010

                      Thank you so much for all this wonderful information.  I will put it to good use.  Linda

                       Fantastic!  Do you have his contact information.  Linda  Thank you.

                      Alex Dunai has made a specialty of this. I used him years ago and found him really good.

                      We are taking a trip to Podhajce next year hopefully.  We would appreciate finding a guide who speaks English and wish to know if anyone might recommend someone to us.  Any information would be appreciated.  Probably arriving in Lviv, and going from there.  Thanks Linda Soudack

                    • Ojserkis, Dan
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 19, 2010

                        I guess I may be dispensing a big dose of "the obvious", but I'm assuming everyone on this listserv has either seen the movie, or read the book, "Everything is Illuminated".  I recommend it to anyone who hasn't.  Apologies to those who have.

                        Daniel S. Ojserkis
                        Attorney at Law
                        Fox Rothschild LLP
                        609.572.2219 - direct
                        609.348.6834 - fax

                        From: Linda Soudack <soudack@...>
                        To: podhajce@yahoogroups.com
                        Date: Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 3:13 AM

                        We are taking a trip to Podhajce next year hopefully.  We would appreciate finding a guide who speaks English and wish to know if anyone might recommend someone to us.  Any information would be appreciated.  Probably arriving in Lviv, and going from there.  Thanks Linda Soudack

                        ATTENTION:

                        IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE:
                        Pursuant to Treasury Regulations, any tax advice contained in this communication
                        (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be
                        used or relied upon by you or any other person, for the purpose of (i) avoiding
                        penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) promoting, marketing or
                        recommending to another party any tax advice addressed herein.
                        This e-mail contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended only for
                        the use of the Individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient
                        of this e-mail, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this to the
                        intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or copying
                        of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
                        please immediately notify us by telephone at (215)-299-2167 or notify us by
                        e-mail at helpdesk@....  Also, please mail a hardcopy of the e-mail
                        to Fox Rothschild LLP, 2000 Market Street, Philadelphia PA 19103-3291 via the
                        U.S. Postal Service.  We will reimburse you for all expenses incurred.

                        Thank you.

                      • E Feinstein
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 19, 2010
                          what did it have to do with Podhajce?

                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 19, 2010
                            I would like to mention two books which I recommend.
                             "Can Heaven be Void" by Baruch Milch. Dr. Milch's reconstructed heartbreaking diary of his life in Podhajce and Tluste, with the help of his daughters Shosh Milch-Avigal and Ella Sherif.
                            Through reading this book, I learned the fate of my Great Uncle, Jehoszua (Shea) Walfish, and his wife Babcia (Dr. Milch's older sister) and their children.
                            The history of this book itself is worthy of your attention. A brief "google" will produce several articles.  Anyone in this listserve who will be visiting Podhajce and the region should read it.  It is publised by Yad Vashem and included photographs.
                            The other is "The Lost" by Daniel Mendelsohn. His search for his family history and the way the mystery unfolded resonated very much for me with the searches I experienced.

                            Cynthia Singer

                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 20, 2010
                              Hi Dan,

                              I too would recommend the book but only in a literary sense...the novel barely resembles the ukraine i visited...this is because the author spent 3 days in the ukraine and couldnt even find his grandparents village.

                              The book is well-written fiction, but that is all it is, fiction...when i was about 30 I went to west Ukraine to do the same thing the author of the book did except i found a completely different world...the ukrainians were very nice (even though a nasty minority of them continue to make them look bad) and conditions were alot better than i expected.

                              Regards,
                              Jeff

                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 20, 2010
                                Thanks. I recommend it only as a nice story about someone doing what we are doing. Our search is the ultimate in nonfiction, but I think it (the search, not Podhajce itself) is the stuff of a good story.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 20, 2010
                                  the book is about a jewish american guy who goes to west ukraine to trace his roots...its what we're all doing so it couldnt hurt to read, even though it isnt very realistic to those of us who've been there...

                                  i talked to the author on the original book tour and he admitted to having only a limited knowledge of the history of and experience with the region (actuall he spent 3 days there) ...so its not very authentic...but still a good work of fiction...

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jan 10, 2011
                                    Linda,

                                    I understamd you had a nice time in Austin with David. Hope the wedding was nice as well. Have you made any progress towards a possible trip to Podhajce? Also...I have seen two guides mentioned on this board...Alex Dunai and Alex Dinisenko (sp? ) . Are they the same person?

                                    Finally..if anyone has been....does it make sense to try to get there directly from Prague, Budapest or Vienna. I am sure our forefathers found a way without going through Lviv...which seems to be a pain to get to? Any advice from someone on this board would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

                                    --- In podhajce@yahoogroups.com, Francine Shapiro <franshap@...> wrote:

                                    > Alex Dunai has made a specialty of this. I used him years ago and found him really good.

                                  • E Feinstein
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jan 10, 2011
                                      they are not the same person.
                                      I have worked with both dunai and denisenko and they are both equally reliable.

                                      I understamd you had a nice time in Austin with David. Hope the wedding was nice as well. Have you made any progress towards a possible trip to Podhajce? Also...I have seen two guides mentioned on this board...Alex Dunai and Alex Dinisenko (sp? ) . Are they the same person?

                                      Finally..if anyone has been....does it make sense to try to get there directly from Prague, Budapest or Vienna. I am sure our forefathers found a way without going through Lviv...which seems to be a pain to get to? Any advice from someone on this board would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

                                      --- In podhajce@yahoogroups.com, Francine Shapiro <franshap@...> wrote:

                                      > Alex Dunai has made a specialty of this. I used him years ago and found him really good.

                                    • Linda Soudack
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jan 10, 2011
                                        It's not looking too good for this spring/summer.  Hope all goes well, and thank you so much for giving me David's telephone number.  He really is a wonderful young man.  Linda

                                        I understamd you had a nice time in Austin with David. Hope the wedding was nice as well. Have you made any progress towards a possible trip to Podhajce? Also...I have seen two guides mentioned on this board...Alex Dunai and Alex Dinisenko (sp? ) . Are they the same person?

                                        Finally..if anyone has been....does it make sense to try to get there directly from Prague, Budapest or Vienna. I am sure our forefathers found a way without going through Lviv...which seems to be a pain to get to? Any advice from someone on this board would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

                                        --- In podhajce@yahoogroups.com, Francine Shapiro <franshap@...> wrote:

                                        > Alex Dunai has made a specialty of this. I used him years ago and found him really good.

                                      • JK
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
                                          hi Herb

                                          I live in Czech Republic and I have been to Podhajce twice (I am a native born US citizen)...there is no direct flight to Lviv from the US, and the road trip from Lviv to Podhajce is 2 hours...there is no good bus or train connection between Lviv and Podhajce...a car would need to be hired in Lviv...when I hired Alex Dunajev to drive me from Lviv to Podhajce (and guide me around) in 1999 it cost $125, so maybe $200-250 now? Meylakh may have access to a van in Lviv (via the Jewish community) but the gas and driver would still cost about 100...

                                          If several people go, what may be the best is a flight to Budapest and a rented van in Budapest (the air ticket would be cheaper but Budapest to Podhajce is 8 hours).

                                          I have a Jewish friend in Budapest who works in transportation and I could find out the exact cost...gas is $6 a gallon here :-(

                                          --Jeff

                                        • goodmanherb@yahoo.com
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
                                            Jeff,

                                            Thanks. My plan as of now is to fly into Prague on July 4, make my way through Vienna, then on to Budapest to arrive there around July 8 or 9. I then have a flight back to Texas on July 13. So I have 4 -5 days to make my way to Podhajce from Budapest and back. I am probably booking this week...and will just pray that over the next few months I can get one of the two Alex's, your friend in Budapest, or Meylakh or someone will be available at a price to take me / guide me on my journey to Podhajce. Your help is most appreciated.

                                            If anybody wants to join in.... I would be happy to share costs out of Budapest around July 8 or 9.

                                            As you may know....this board truncates email addresses...so I have been unable to contact Alex Dunajev or Meylakh...because everytime somebody tries to send...it is truncated. I do not use the @yahoo email address for me above...as I only got it to be able to access this board. Please send to me their email addresses at ( and I am breaking this in hopes you get the full email... ) herb.goodman@
                                            e2mpartners.com

                                            Jeff...thanks so much for your help

                                            Herb Goodman

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jan 12, 2011
                                              Hi Herb,

                                              If you intend to fly to Prague and visit Vienna, what may be the easiest is a train from Vienna to Lviv, with a stop in Budapest, if you are interested in this equally nice city...

                                              if a discount train ticket (Eurorail pass) exists for central/eastern europe that might be the cheapest and easist way to get there...the roads arent so good between Hungary and Ukraine, so maybe a car is too complicated...for scheduling buses and or trains between Prague and Vienna, try this site, which has an English version:

                                              http://jizdnirady.idnes.cz/vlakyautobusy/spojeni/

                                              The Prague-Vienna buses are $10-20 each way...if they allow you a stopover, maybe buying a Prague-Budapest ticket is cheaper?

                                              Prague-Lviv buses go through Poland or Slovakia, so I dont think you can get a Prague-Budapest-Lviv ticket in one purchase...trains prices are based on the number of kilometers...

                                              for Vienna to Lviv, try: www.obb.at Austrian transport is much more expensive...

                                              The buses are the cheapest, and sometimes the fastest...as the train has to switch wheels at the Ukrainian border (the Soviet trains have a bigger scale).

                                              What may be the easiest then is a train or bus from Budapest to Lviv, and hiring Alex Dunajev in Lviv...he will drive to Podhajce from there...

                                              From Vienna or Budapest you will lose a day travelling to Lviv, so 4 days will get you two days in Lviv/Podhajce...I suggest staying one nite in Podhajce so you have some time to check the place out the second day (one my first trip I stayed only one day and really needed more time).

                                              sorry if this sounds complicated but with so many countries to go thru to get to Podhajce, and the poor infrastructure, it is. But its an exciting trip and unforgettable!