The Tailor of Inverness - Krawiec z Inverness

  • zajac_matthew
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2010
      Dear Podhajce group,

      I am an actor based in Edinburgh, Scotland.

      I have just joined the group, having been directed towards it by a lady in Florida called Jean Rosenbaum.

      I'm not Jewish - my father was a Pole from a village called Gnilowody, about 8km from Podhajce/Pidhaytsi. His father was a Polish farmer, Andrzej Zajac and his mother was Ukrainian, Zofia, nee Baldys.

      I only discovered the Ukrainian side of my heritage when I visited Podhajce and Gnilowody 7 years ago. Since then, I have writen a play about my father's life, The Tailor of Inverness, which I perform with a violinist. It won several awards at the 2008 Edinburgh Festival and has toured to Australia and Sweden. I have revived it for this year's Einburgh Festival and its playing there right now, every day until August 30th. In October, my company will take the production to Ukraine, Poland and Germany, playing at the Golden Lion Theatre Festival, Lviv; Volhynia University, Lutsk; Konfrontacje Teatralne, Lublin; the English Theatre, Berlin and the Thespis Festival, Kiel. We may also perform the play in the secondary school in Podhajce.

      The play deals with my father's journey from Galicia to Inverness in Scotland. There are several versions of his story, its like peeling an onion. the multi-ethnic nature of life in Gnilowody and Podhajce before the war is featured in the play, with an evocation of the wartime conflagration, along with contemporary video footage of these places.

      For more details about the show, please visit our company website: www.dogstartheatre.co.uk

      Best wishes,
      Matthew Zajac