Re: [podhajce] Podhajce synagogues

  • Elissa Sampson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2012
      It's a top-notch question. So the question of how and why one particular small town of roughly 3,000 people, a town that is not particularly famous, gets memorialized and gets continued in so many ways is truly an open one.

      We know generally that one third of Eastern Europe's Jews left in the period roughly defined as that of mass migration to the U.S., that is 1881-1924. Note those dates denote events and may not correspond to real family life, and Canada and the U.S. are not identical in this regard, as well as in post-war migration.

      In the Lower East Side, where the vast majority of the U.S. 2.2 million Jewish immigrants arrived or used as an initial ethnic hub for landsmanshaft life while living elsewhere in the NYC area (e.g., Harlem, Hicksville, Williamsburg, Brownsville, etc.), what is left in the built environment shows a lot of small Galitizianer congregations having their own buildings and societies. They did so in part, because it showed just how important their town was, but for practical reasons including raising money for their home town and keeping friendships and business connections. Keeping those ties going was very important to immigrants as a social net. Also people from different political tendencies founded their own societies.  Also some societies and shuls were relatively short lived. So Podhajce's pattern to me at least does not seem like an anomaly when I look at the Galitizianer LES. Others may have other opinions.

      -Elissa

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 25, 2013

        If anyone is looking for photographs of the Shul's exterior, I live near the Lower East Side Shul (and also remember some of its interior details from before it became an apartment building). So here are a few I've taken over the last decade.

        https://picasaweb.google.com/109009527338097520639/PodhajcerShulInTheLowerEastSideLowerEastSideBetween1stAveAndAveAHoustonSt#

        -Elissa Sampson

      • rosenbaumjean80
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 26, 2013
          Elissa—thanks so much for sharing there photographs.    Jean Rosenbaum

          Sent: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 12:33 PM

          If anyone is looking for photographs of the Shul's exterior, I live near the Lower East Side Shul (and also remember some of its interior details from before it became an apartment building). So here are a few I've taken over the last decade.

          https://picasaweb.google.com/109009527338097520639/PodhajcerShulInTheLowerEastSideLowerEastSideBetween1stAveAndAveAHoustonSt#

          -Elissa Sampson

        • Cynthia Singer
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 26, 2013