Podhajce synagogues

  • Jean Rosenbaum
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 8, 2012
      There recently has been some discussion on Podhajce synagogues in New York.
      There is information on www.shtetlinks.jewishgen.org/Podhajce Click on the
      Podhajce Synagogues and Memorials link on the menu.
      Attached to the Rodef Shalom information is a list of members of that
      congregation's benevolent association.

      If you have any additional information, please send it to the webmaster at
      romers@...

      Jean Rosenbaum
    • Ojserkis, Dan
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 9, 2012

        Please pardon my ignorance, but Podhajce seems to have had a significant presence in NYC (synagogues, aid societies, etc.), for a town that I thought was fairly small.  Is it truly an outsized presence for a town the size of Podhajce, or did any town of a certain size (i.e., lots of them) end up having these kinds of institutions in NYC by the late 19th or early 20th century, as its residents migrated here?

        PS:  My grandfather (Elias Ojserkis) and his half-brother (Sigmund Ojserkis) were originally from Podhajce.

        Daniel S. Ojserkis
        Attorney at Law
        Fox Rothschild LLP
        609.572.2219 - direct
        609.348.6834 - fax

        There recently has been some discussion on Podhajce synagogues in New York.
        There is information on www.shtetlinks.jewishgen.org/Podhajce Click on the
        Podhajce Synagogues and Memorials link on the menu.
        Attached to the Rodef Shalom information is a list of members of that
        congregation's benevolent association.

        If you have any additional information, please send it to the webmaster at
        romers@...

        Jean Rosenbaum

        ATTENTION: IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: Pursuant to Treasury Regulations, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used or relied upon by you or any other person, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax advice addressed herein. --------------------------------------------- This e-mail contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended only for the use of the Individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify us by telephone at (215)-299-2167 or notify us by e-mail at helpdesk@.... Also, please mail a hardcopy of the e-mail to Fox Rothschild LLP, 2000 Market Street, Philadelphia PA 19103-3222 via the U.S. Postal Service. We will reimburse you for all expenses incurred. Thank you.
      • Elissa Sampson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 9, 2012
          It's a top-notch question. So the question of how and why one particular small town of roughly 3,000 people, a town that is not particularly famous, gets memorialized and gets continued in so many ways is truly an open one.

          We know generally that one third of Eastern Europe's Jews left in the period roughly defined as that of mass migration to the U.S., that is 1881-1924. Note those dates denote events and may not correspond to real family life, and Canada and the U.S. are not identical in this regard, as well as in post-war migration.

          In the Lower East Side, where the vast majority of the U.S. 2.2 million Jewish immigrants arrived or used as an initial ethnic hub for landsmanshaft life while living elsewhere in the NYC area (e.g., Harlem, Hicksville, Williamsburg, Brownsville, etc.), what is left in the built environment shows a lot of small Galitizianer congregations having their own buildings and societies. They did so in part, because it showed just how important their town was, but for practical reasons including raising money for their home town and keeping friendships and business connections. Keeping those ties going was very important to immigrants as a social net. Also people from different political tendencies founded their own societies.  Also some societies and shuls were relatively short lived. So Podhajce's pattern to me at least does not seem like an anomaly when I look at the Galitizianer LES. Others may have other opinions.

          -Elissa

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 25, 2013

            If anyone is looking for photographs of the Shul's exterior, I live near the Lower East Side Shul (and also remember some of its interior details from before it became an apartment building). So here are a few I've taken over the last decade.

            https://picasaweb.google.com/109009527338097520639/PodhajcerShulInTheLowerEastSideLowerEastSideBetween1stAveAndAveAHoustonSt#

            -Elissa Sampson

          • rosenbaumjean80
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 26, 2013
              Elissa—thanks so much for sharing there photographs.    Jean Rosenbaum

              Sent: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 12:33 PM

              If anyone is looking for photographs of the Shul's exterior, I live near the Lower East Side Shul (and also remember some of its interior details from before it became an apartment building). So here are a few I've taken over the last decade.

              https://picasaweb.google.com/109009527338097520639/PodhajcerShulInTheLowerEastSideLowerEastSideBetween1stAveAndAveAHoustonSt#

              -Elissa Sampson

            • Cynthia Singer
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 26, 2013