Re: [podhajce] Surnames in Podhajce

  • Elissa Sampson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 4, 2012
      Yes. That is the same story then and the photo I sent is of that building. "The building, located at 108 East First Street was built in 1926 as a synagogue for Congregation Masas Benjamin." Around 1990, the then rabbi sold the building and moved to Jerusalem. So it seems that the money may have gone into creating another shul and for whatever reason he apparently kept the original Podhajcer name, which is interesting since when he ran the building here he had called it Beth Yitchok. When it became an apartment building, the beautiful interior was destroyed although the exterior is intact. See: http://www.panmodern.com/synagoguespace.html

      There were also the Podhajcer Young Men's Benevolent Association shul  I see from YIVO/Joint records also that the Young Men's Benevolent Association was still active in 1939.

      There were other shuls connected to the town in the Lower East Side such as the First United Podhaycer (see below).

      26Rivington Street Podgaitsy, Ukraine First United Podhaycer

      I also see from past group emails that Jean Rosenbaum documented some of these other shuls including "The Podhajcer Rabbi Schulem Lilienfeld Association"

      -Elissa