Re: [podhajce] 2 Podhajce societies in New York

  • blanche1422@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2011
      I want to apologize  for the misspelling of the word weather for wheather in my request for the list of names.

      This puter doesn't help me at all.

      Blanche Fruhling

      In a message dated 6/29/2011 8:10:07 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, blanche1422@... writes:

      Please sen me a copy of Rabbi apolegize list.  The name of Mates is from my husband's family. There is no one alive who can give me info as to weather it's from his grandmother's side or his grandfather's side.
      Thanking you in advance,
      Blanche Fruhling

      In a message dated 6/28/2011 8:51:27 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, mervinr@... writes:

      I have obtained the incorporation certificates for two societies founded in
      New York City by people who immigrated from Podhajce.

      1. The Podhajcer Young Men Benevolent Association actually recorded two
      Certificates of Incorporation. The first was dated November 11, 1901. Its
      stated purpose was "To hold meetings for the intellectual and spiritual
      advancement of its members and also for the benefit and charitable purposes
      and to assist its members in case of distress, to bury such as may die".
      The only names listed in the document (all in New York City) are those of
      the directors: President-Harry Greenberg (171 Eldridge St.),
      Vice-President-Joe Binder (235 Broome St.), Recording Secretary-Simon
      Frankel (115 Stanton St.), Financial Secretary-Joe Biller (238 Second St.),
      Treasurer-Max Greenberg (171 Eldridge St.).

      The second Certificate of Incorporation was dated August 29, 1903. In this
      one, the purpose is "To promote social intercourse among our members, to
      help and offer voluntary aid and assistance to them when in distress". The
      signers of this document (all in New York City) are Harry Greenberg (77 East
      First St.), Izy Kerner (143 Essex St.), Louis Schulster (101 Clunton St.),
      Max Greenberg (233 Second St.) , and Joe Binder (235 Broome St.).

      2. The Certificate of Incorporation for The Podhajcer Rabbi Schulem
      Lilienfeld Association was dated February 5, 1917. It says that the name
      came from "a certain village in the province of Galicia, in the Empire of
      Austria,and the words Rabbi Schulim Lilienfeld being the name of a Rabbi in
      that village." Also "The objects for which this corporation is formed shall
      be to voluntarily aid and assist its members in times of sickness and
      distress; to promote the social and moral welfare and standing of its
      members; to disseminate among its members and to imbue them with the spirit
      and feeling of brotherly love; and to encourage thrift and frugality among
      its members."

      There were twelve directors listed:
      Morris Lilienfeld 445 Amboy St, Bklyn.
      Bezalel Rosen 128 Rivington St., Manh.
      Leib Schapiro 284 E. 3rd St., Manhattan
      Morris Mates 251 Stanton St., Manhattan
      Aron Reitman 143 Orchard St., Manh.
      Samuel Weinreb 225 E. 6th St. Manh.
      Isador Bessan 165 N. Houston St., Manh.
      Sam Kerner 151 Ludlow St., Manh.
      Louis Krietzman 445 Amboy St., Bklyn.
      Meyer Heimowitz 1186-43rd St., Bklyn.
      Louis Herman 12 Ellery St., Bklyn.
      Moses Weiser 146 Norfolk St. Manh.

      Jean Rosenbaum
      Houston, TX

      P.S. If anyone recognizes a family name and would like a copy of one of the
      documents, just let me know.

    • Binnie Yeates
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2011

        Please sen me a copy of Rabbi Schulem's list.  The name of Mates is from my husband's family. There is no one alive who can give me info as to weather it's from his grandmother's side or his grandfather's side.
[...]

        Hi, Jean,

        Shapiro was my maternal grandfather's name, and although he emigrated from Podhajce to the UK, I know some of his siblings went to the US. So I'd be very interested in the Schapiro document(s). Thank you.

        Binnie Yeates