Re: [podhajce] Re: Follow-up on Message in Polish

  • Jay
    Message 1 of 8 , May 14, 2011
      Podhajce Austria arrived in 1907 my mistake

      Sent from my iPod
    • JK
      Message 2 of 8 , May 15, 2011
        hi all,

        its good to remember that even though eastern galicia was ethnically polish ukrainian and jewish, it was part of the austro-hungarian empire until 1918 so many emigrants put austria on their passport.

        it passed to poland after ww1, then it became part of the Ukrainian SSR after ww2 and is now in ukraine.

        hope that helps!

        jeff

        Message 3 of 8 , May 15, 2011
          I have to say that my great-grandmother came from Mogilev-Podolsky gibernia.  Until I became a researcher, I did not realize that that name was the Province.  Unfortunately, by the time I started to research her family, I did not have a town, and my grandmother was only told the name of the gibernia.  Even her immigration information gives no clue !!  Carol Cohen

          Researching Cywvia Rosenfeld, Mogilev Podolsky Gibernia