79Re: [podhajce] Re: Trip to Podhajce

  • JK
    Jan 5, 2011
      Hi Herb,

      Wow, Podhajce Texans, now I've hoid everything!

      Thanks for the email...Vienna would be a better starting point for a number of reasons...I live about 2 hrs from Vienna...Podhajce is about a 2 hour drive from Lviv, so driving from Vienna or Budapest isnt so crazy.
      But there is a Vienna-Lviv flight on a cheap (possibly Romanian) airline.
      It goes thru Budapest and is quite long...a rented car or van would be cheaper if a few people go.

      I am not sure if the Ukrainians lifted their expensive visa requirements on Americans, someone told me yes but its worth researching.

      Funny, my grandma (from Podhajce) had a cousin who didnt have the luxury of choosing where to get off, they immigrated to Brazil in the 30s as the US was cut off due to the then anti-immigration fever (!) I found my distant cousins first on the Vad Hashem Shoah databse and then skype and a few hours later we were hooked up! The miracle of the internet age, would have taken weeks by post...

      Thanks again,
      Jeff