Re: [Beginner] why record live ?

  • Scot Mcphee
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 2, 2005

      >> Why do live? Because it's a lot more FUN that way. I used to do a fair
      >> bit of live radio years ago and it's lot more fun, felt more like
      >> 'radio' than doing a prerecord with heavy editing (boring). Even when
      >> we had to do a pre-record, it was always best (and easiest) to try and
      >> produce it as a piece of live radio and just record it
      >
      >Good point.
      >But as you stated you have a radio background so you know how to use
      >your voice. It's by far not something obvious for a nearly total
      >beginner like I am. For example, in the little tests i've done I
      >realized that one of the most difficult thing is to.. end sentences.
      >When we talk in normal life we don't always finish sentences, (because
      >we use moves for example for express things), of to have a fluid flow
      >of words without hem..uuuh.. and silence while seraching for the next
      >sentence..

      Well, I worked mainly on the producer side of the microphone, not the
      'talent' end of it so I'm not such fount of knowledge on actually
      using *my* voice. I hate the sound of it actually <heh>. Anyway I
      think you overestimate the amount of knowledge necessary to produce
      acceptable results. I think the first thing to remember is that "BBC
      English" isn't necessary to make good radio - you just need a story
      and a good storyteller, really. Getting rid of umms aahs and noise
      words ("like", "so", etc) basically takes a bit of practice, but not a
      lot and the more you do it the better you get. Just like most things.
      For the rest (knowing what to say) I'd say express it in the most
      natural form for yourself, don't force it, and if you have difficulty
      remembering your main points, write out cue cards before hand with the
      major topic words on them.

      regs
      scot.

      --
      Autonomous Organisation http://www.autonomous.org/
    • Olivier
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 7, 2005
        Le samedi 01 janvier 2005 à 13:59 +0100, Nicole Simon a écrit :
        > luc@... wrote:
        >
        > >For example, in the little tests i've done I
        > >realized that one of the most difficult thing is to.. end sentences.
        >
        > Do you consider your listeners to be stupid? :)

        I understand what Luc means.. He doesn't think that the listener is
        stupid. But when you talk, you have your way to talk, intonation,
        inflection, etc.. that the people around you know. But when you consider
        anybody around the world, you need to be more carefull of how you are
        saying your meaning :p And that's a difficult task, I can assure you :p

        If you listen to my first test podcast, and if you knew how I'm usually
        speaking, you would notice a big difference :o)
        Most of the "problem" is the local accent ;)

        I've to (re)learn how to be understood ;)

        That's why I'm writing as much as poxxible the text I will record. I
        hope that with time, I'll be more confortable with all that :)

        (btw, my rss feed is almost ready, I need a final check for validity
        then the next podcast will follow :) )

        Olivier
      • Nicole Simon
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 7, 2005
          Olivier <olisker@...> wrote:
          >(btw, my rss feed is almost ready, I need a final check for validity
          >then the next podcast will follow :) )

          Make sure the description says what you like it to say ... When pinging
          audio.weblogs.com for the first time, your description will be taken and
          send to ipodder.org.

          I was kind of surprised to see the sudden rise in referrers until i
          realised that I hat pinged for the first time with my new podcast.php feed
          - which the script took and made a new entry out of it.

          As a standalone descriptions, this was okay, in this context it lacked the
          magic words - my name. ;o)

          NIcole

          --
          podcasts: http://gnak.de/ - http://useful-sounds.de/ (english)